Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-10-2023, 05:29 PM

4genrunner is on a distinguished road

4genrunner is on a distinguished road
2019 4Runner starting issue

Today my wife and I were out in her 4Runner. We stopped at a store, went in for 10 minutes and came back out. I put the key in the ignition, turned it to on and tried to start the 4runner. It wouldn’t start. There was no crank no nothing, it didn’t even try to start. I looked around and noticed the radio wasn’t illuminated and gear shift indicator on dash wasn’t showing a gear. She also has/had an aftermarket remote start installed.

I gave it a few minutes tried again and nothing. I proceeded to disconnect the battery, waited 10 minutes and tried again, still no difference. I tried remote starting it, it cycled the lights and the dash lit up (same as if I had the key in) and you could tell it was trying to start but it was doing the same thing and wouldn’t even attempt to crank or anything. I started pressing buttons on her key (she has a physical key not push to start) and the remote start and some how it started but the dash and radio were still on the fritz. I tried to shut it off with the key and it wouldn’t shut off even after I turned it to off and removed the key. I tried to kill it with the remote start and also by pressing the brake (supposed to shut the engine off after the remote start is activated) and it wouldn’t shut off. I had to disconnect the battery to get it to shut off.

I removed the battery and walked to the nearest parts store. They tested it and said it was good so I walked back. Hooked jumper cables up to it after a friend showed up and it was still no difference so that should rule out a bad battery. I’m stumped! We’re having it towed to the dealer but is there anything else I can try here?! Attached is a video.

2019 4Runner starting problem - YouTube
4genrunner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote