Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-12-2023, 12:13 PM

TimT4R is on a distinguished road

TimT4R is on a distinguished road
Glad to hear you got it resolved. Mine does not fully return the steering wheel to center after making a turn. It will return most of the way to center, but lacks the last quarter turn, sometimes eighth of a turn or so. It’s more pronounced at slower speeds and when in H2 vs H4. When it’s in H4 with all the wheels powered the steering wheel seems to return to center a little better.

First, I got an alignment. That didn’t make much difference. I’ve changed the intermediate shaft at the rack/steering column. I’ve replaced the tie rod ends, all with new OEM Toyota parts. I’ve flushed the power steering fluid twice because it appeared the previous owner had the wrong fluid in it. All of these things did seem to improve the issue, but it’s not completely resolved.

The steering wheel did not have any resistance on it when the column was disconnected so it’s something on the frame side, not the dash side.
A friend gave me some brand new take-off upper control arms from his Tacoma and I’ll be installing those today. Maybe the new upper ball joints will fix this. Maybe not.

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with the power steering pump, but there could be. It sounds like it’s working fine and otherwise the truck isn’t hard to steer. It does require a little more effort than most other newer vehicles I’ve owned, especially when in H4 (center diff unlocked).
TimT4R is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote