Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-13-2023, 08:31 PM

joefbtg28 is on a distinguished road

joefbtg28 is on a distinguished road
6 month update:
I ended up finding a super clean, low mileage, GX 460. Overall I am very happy with it, however I knew either way there would be trade-offs.
* Pro: The GX is by far the best road tripping car I have ever ridden in. Very confortable for long periods of time. Cabin is very quite.
* Pro: v8 and 6 speed are incredible. Extremely smooth both around town and in the mountains.
* Pro: KDSS works great.
* Pro: One feature I wasn't aware of is the transmission automatically downshifts for you in the mountains. Super nice feature not having to handle this manually. Just break on a hill and it will downshift and hold that gear until you use the accelerator.
* Pro: Very capable on snowy highways in stock form. It felt just as or more stable than my 4th gen 4runner with Falken Wilpeaks.
* Pro: I never really used DAC (downhill assist control) in my 4th gen. You can easily mod this switch to add crawl control or multi terrain select.
* Pro: Features you "don't need" that are super nice. Auto leveling HIDs headlights, auto headlights/wipers, heated mirrors/steering wheel/seats, great sound system with dampening, folding mirrors, etc.
* Neither: Truck drives great. It does take some time to get used to the extra weight during breaking and slightly wider profile during parking.
* Neither: Gas mileage seems about as rated. Just a couple of MPGs worse than the 4.0 v6.
* Neither: I was hoping to get the beatsonic on a black friday sale, but no such luck. I will probably just pay retail.
* Neither: For those looking used, the black interior seems to age much better than the lighter colors.
* Neither: People's perception of the Lexus is much different than the 4runner, even though I was shopping for both in the same price range. This can either be good or bad.
* Con: The rear gate takes some getting used to, and my dog misses the roll down rear window. I don't use the third row.
* Con: Due to the taller cabin, I cannot fit my inno wedge roof box on in the garage (by 1/4"). A bit of a bummer for ski season. Not a huge deal since I am planning on doing suspension and tires, so it wouldn't have fit with those mods.
* Con: So much chrome. I usually black out all of my vehicles with plasti dip or vinyl wrap, but the GX has so much I didnt' want to tackle the project yet.
* Con: There really isn't all that much storage in the back of the vehicle. My 4th gen had cubbies in both wheel wells that were nice. The subwoofer takes up what could be a storage area. Things I like to have tucked away in the cargo area are; jump pack, air compressor, bug spray, sunscreen lotion, leather gloves. I will probably add a metal molle panel with bags in the rear area that sits above your eyeline in the rear view mirror. This isn't too intrusive since the cabin is taller.
* Con: The asthetics are pretty soft looking IMO. You really need a lift, tires, or roof rack to make it look as off-road worthy as it actually is. Without putting too much crap on the outside of the vehicle.
joefbtg28 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote