Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 12-22-2023, 07:23 PM

mooch91 is on a distinguished road

mooch91 is on a distinguished road
Ongoing saga with my parking brake...

Reminder: I rebuilt the passenger side with new shoes, new hardware. Original shoes and hardware on the driver's side.

I've been running it for about a week with it adjusted fully OUT - meaning, no parking brake. The smell of "hot brakes" has gone away, but I have had no parking brake whatsoever.

Today I tried adjusting again:

The passenger side (the one I rebuilt), takes 12 clicks to "lock up" the rotor. I back it off 8 per the service manual.

The driver side (the one I did not rebuild), takes close to 30 clicks to "lock up" the rotor. I back it off 8 per the service manual.

Everything *seemed* to be ok when I put it all back together and spun the wheels by hand. Slight drag, but nothing I would have called unusual. Parking brake isn't great, but it held against idle in drive on a flat surface.

Took a 10-minute drive and took temps of the rotors:

The passenger side (the one I rebuilt) was near 300 degrees and the heat could be "smelled" once again.

The driver side (the one I did not rebuild) was about 120 degrees.

I can back off the passenger side a couple of clicks, but only a couple of clicks, before it's as far out as it will go.

Could the fact that I have new shoes on only one side be an issue? I would have thought the cable pull was independent, and the wheel adjustments were the same (8 clicks from locked up), so the one side wouldn't affect the other.

Possibility that high spots on the new shoes just need to wear down??? I'm sure I'm overthinking this, but I've never had a brake job seem as difficult as this one!

Thanks in advance.
2023 Limited 3000mi
mooch91 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote