Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-22-2024, 08:58 PM

DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light

DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light DAW89446 is a glorious beacon of light
I like the look of twin sticks on the floor. My old 4x4's had that. I did not trust electronics, nor did I like the look of a column mounted transmission and buttons/dials on the dash.

In '02 I bought a new Tacoma TRD with 5-speed manual and the optional transfer case lever with a 4WD button on the near side of the knob. The lever only engaged high and low ranges. I didn't want that feature, but the rest of the truck was equipped exactly like I wanted. Living in an area at the time where the highway may be dry in one spot, icy in the next, slushy in the spot beyond that, hub deep snow in the next, then dry for a mile afterward, it was handy for engaging the front end on the fly. And after 250,000 miles, the system has yet to develop any issues. So I don't mistrust Toyota electrics anymore.

Now that I'm a solidly senior citizen, bad knees screamed for an automatic transmission. Two small dogs fighting for real estate in my disabled wife's lap dictated a larger rig, the 5th Gen 4Runner is substantially larger. Real world value told me that I don't kneed a rear locker anymore; and that the transfer case twist dial will likely work for the life of the rig; so I bought my '18 4Runner SR5 after a lot of researching into my wants versus real needs.

My wants told me to buy a TRD Off Road Premium for the twin stick look and rear locker (plus I like heated seats). My pocketbook and desire to remain debt free told me that since an SR5 is 98% mechanical content of a TRD Off Road Pro, there was no real need to spend far more money. I gave my grandson my Tacoma and he still has it.

Now, as to what appears to be your primary query, dial versus lever, my observations over my several years of actual use:

The dial is in a rather awkward place. I think it could have been incorporated into the dash face like the 4th Generation rig. It's a bit of a reach, especially when wearing a heavy winer coat. And awkward to manipulate with heavy winter gloves.

After decades of levers, getting used to the dial took a while for me to get used to and able to manipulate without looking.

I've forgotten and left the transfer case in 4WD for miles on dry pavement and highways because I didn't notice the dash light and there's no lever in my peripheral vision that when in 4WD catches my attention due to its position. In its defense, though, I'd done the same on my Tacoma after knocking the button into 4WD position when vacuuming. I've experienced no mechanical issues with either rig after driving miles in 4WD on the pavement. In these cases upon making a turn off the highway onto another street or road did I realize what happened when I felt the "crow hop" or drivetrain binding.

The 4-Lo safety nannies are irritating (beeps and tones) if you don't do the proper sequence when going into that range. I'd prefer the light grinding of actual gears of my old rigs.

I have no regrets buying my SR5. I do use 4WD on a near daily basis since I live and travel on dirt roads. I use my rig for work on my property, like pulling my railroad rail drag to clear brush, driveways and plowing snow (or whatever word is applicable for actually pulling snow with the drag). I haul a ton or two of heating pellets annually with a utility trailer. I use it when mending fences and pulling fence poles straight. I've yanked tree stumps out of the ground with it. I do some off roading now and then, especially during hunting season.

It may not have the bling of a TRD Off Road Pro in Lime Rush, but I'm too old to care. And since I live far from town over dirt, snowy and muddy roads thus nature washes my 4Runner more than I do, my rig's silver color is a great one for planned neglect.

2018 4Runner SR5
2012 Subaru Outback Premium

Last edited by DAW89446; 01-22-2024 at 09:10 PM.
DAW89446 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote