Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 01-25-2024, 08:34 AM

jdm-v35 is a jewel in the rough jdm-v35 is a jewel in the rough jdm-v35 is a jewel in the rough jdm-v35 is a jewel in the rough

jdm-v35 is a jewel in the rough jdm-v35 is a jewel in the rough jdm-v35 is a jewel in the rough jdm-v35 is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Spalding View Post
Okay. We’re getting there. If I might ask for your patience once more: so when we say the torque is split 50/50 front/rear, but in the case I outlined in the first post, 100% of the torque is going to the rear wheel with traction, that’s the semantic issue I find confusing. Is it only 50/50 front/rear when wheels on both axles have traction?

I understand how 4WD works. This really is just a semantic issue. I was in a theoretical discussion the other day, and I said that 100% of the torque goes to the wheel with traction, but my discussion partner insisted that only 50% could …
In 4wd where all gearing is completely fixed, no slippage or clutches etc, I would not word it as "torque" is split, more like "power is being distributed to both axles/all wheels". The actual application of the torque can only be applied where there are opposing forces. in this case, the one wheel with traction.

The best way to look at it is, fully locked 4wd will allow distribution of torque where it is able to be applied. No traction means the power cannot be distributed there. If both rear wheels have equal traction then it would be 50/50 torque applied to both rear wheels and none to the front if they are freespinning. The distribution is based on opposing forces.

If you look at audi's new awd system in the rear of the 2022+ rs3, they use electronic controlled clutches to force the torque to the rear wheel that has the most traction, to properly apply that torque.