Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Clutch burn
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2024, 10:55 PM

Previologist is on a distinguished road

Previologist is on a distinguished road
Clutch burn

Was driving my 97 5-speed up a moderately steep road tonight and something felt funny. I noticed the tach would shoot up higher than it should after a gear shift, kind of like I was on ice. But I don't think there was any ice, although its possible there was black ice since it was right at 32-33 degrees and foggy.
Anyway I then got the unmistakeable smell of something burning.

I was 30 miles from home and in town for weekly shopping so I headed to the nearest parts store, checked the fluid, and it was slightly low but not a lot. I added some fresh DOT3 and finished my shopping and got home without incident, but the smell lingered and it seemed to rev up briefly a couple more times after shifting.

Never done a clutch and don't want to, but can't afford to have someone else do it either. I'm already saving pennies and gathering parts for replacing valve cover gaskets and timing belt replacement next year, which I plan to do myself. She has 308,000 miles and lots of body rust but the frame is good and I still want to squeeze a few more years out of it.

Not sure what my next step should be re the clutch, as this now jumps to the front of the list.
Previologist is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote