Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-01-2024, 01:10 AM

joshik will become famous soon enough

joshik will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdef View Post
We might be having a similar issue- I'd replaced all things steering/suspension/bushing but still had a weird wander/play even though steering input is very tight and responsive. I temporarily improved things by moving the steering shaft collar slightly up toward the firewall as people have done on this forum, and I've had no play on the shaft/u-joints as they're all healthy.
What I've noticed is that I can lightly thump on the shaft near the collar with my hand and there is a clank of sorts coming from lower down, like along the steering rack rather than on the column. This is something I recently found and am trying to pinpoint, but I feel they might be related. Have you noticed any noises from yours or just the looser steering?
Interesting. The steering does feel tight. I turn the steering side to side and I feel like the wheels respond as expected....? I only feel the "play" when I hit bumps (speed bumps or rocks).

My steering rack is brand new OEM. Replaced it a few months ago. I'll have to inspect the whole shaft tomorrow more closely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeinNH67 View Post
As Gimli mentions, you can watch the steering shaft to make sure it's the issue or not. I could see there was slop in my u-joint from above. Look at it with key on but engine off, have someone move the steering wheel side to side but not so far that the tire wheels turn. I replaced it with an aftermarket one that has been on the truck for a few years now with no issues. Pretty basic part but I did have a slight fitment issue, it seems like it was slightly shorter than the old one.
Yeh I will check the shaft tomorrow. Hopefully it's just the intermediate shaft needing replacing. If so, I'll go OEM. I found one for about $140 shipped. New from dealer is over $250. 1AAuto is $75.

91 Ext Cab 4x4 Yota, black with 4" front IFS trailmaster lift, 3" Downey rear springs, Downey Rubicon extended shackles, and 2" body lift. 35" BFG M/T w/ 4.56. Centerforce II clutch, Rancho 5000s all around and Rancho traction bar, K&N Air filter, Flowmaster, ARB Rear Diff Air Locker, Custom "Mad Eyes" light covers, Extended Diff Breathers, Hella Vision Plus Headlights. [SOLD]
joshik is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote