Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-06-2024, 05:11 PM

Silver.T4R will become famous soon enough

Silver.T4R will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlunderStruck View Post
Hey all, I am reviving old thread as I just registered so I don't have permission to create new threads yet.

I have a 2001 T4R Limited with almost 300K miles. I don't know the details yet, but I believe the engine has just suffered a catastrophic failure, so let's assume for this discussion we are looking at an engine replacement scenario.

I could have the engine replaced and keep (or sell I suppose) the vehicle, but I wonder if there are people who want to do engine swaps/upgrades anyway-- and would prefer to do it on their own terms. For example, their choice of engine, their choice of how much of the work they want to do etc.

This thought has me wondering, if the market for old 4Runners would be heavy on people wanting to do engine swaps anyway, perhaps it would be foolish of me to have the engine replaced myself (unless I were determined to keep it, which may be an option).

I am interested in your thoughts on this dilemma. Thanks.
My $.02. I bought an 00' blown engine with cracked heads. Never pulled an engine in my life but I watched @mtbtim 's YouTube vid and swapped it in about 2 weeks doing the work as I had free time. Cost about ~$500 in tools (shop hoist ect) + $1400 for a used engine. As far as swaps, yes they are out there but I don't see that being overly common yet on these though I'm sure it will become more common as the years go on. I'd throw in a new motor and get another 100-200k out of it or sell it.

Sent from my Pixel 7 Pro using Tapatalk