Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-13-2024, 01:15 PM

thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about

thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02SE View Post
Driving through cold, denser air, will also reduce MPG. If the 4Runner gets started to let it 'warmup' before driving, you are getting ZERO MPG during that time, which will bring the MPG average down. Not to mention all the lubricants in the driveline will be thicker due to cold temps, creating more drag, and lowering MPG further.

Cold temperatures reduce MPG all the way around. I wouldn't draw any conclusions about your MPG average, until warmer temps return.
Indeed. The vehicle revs higher while it is driving on warmup cycle as well. Shifts to every gear noticeably later, revving higher, until it's up to temp. On my 3 mile commute, I get 16mpg in summer and 13-14mpg in winter, just because the engine is on warm-up cycle for much more of that commute. During summer it will shift into overdrive on a certain 40mph section, which it won't do on the coldest winter days, for example. Thanks to the old-tech mechanical engine fan, it probably takes longer to warm up than any other vehicle, since it actively tries to cool everything down while it's already ice cold.

My lifetime is about 20mpg in mine. I'm never lifting it. If I ever oversize tires, it'll be by an inch or less. I'm on P-metric A/Ts. I have seen a number of 25mpg tanks. I drive conservatively, bleed speed on steep canyons rather than letting it downshift twice, and do not generally cruise over about 73mph. 4.0L is a lot of engine. If you let it rev high, it's gonna suck down fuel. If you did mods that require it to rev high just to function as a basic vehicle keeping up with traffic, it's gonna suck down fuel.

Last edited by thatoneguy; 02-13-2024 at 01:17 PM.
thatoneguy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote