Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Brake Gremlin
View Single Post
Old 02-18-2024, 07:33 PM

werminghausen is on a distinguished road

werminghausen is on a distinguished road
Thanks Mike,

I had bled the brakes again without any improvement.
I have worked on many brakes but never has such problems.

I am no very keen on working in my unheated garage over the winter without having a plan or knowledge how to deal with these brakes.

I learned to live with these mediocre brakes and avoided driving longer distances.

Now today something happened what could be a bad sign:

All of a sudden I had the brake alarm (the lights on the right side instruments next to the gas level) the light were lighting up and the unbearable sound started, see picture.
As I said I was driving on the highway.... which was a scary moment.

It went away after a few seconds but still it happened.

I have enough brake fluid in the reservoir.
After changing the brake assist motor and accumulator the brakes were working again, my only complaint was that the brakes were too soft and this is probably due to me not being able to understand how the system works and how to bleed it properly despite the many recipes. (again I have not seen one single logical explanation why the bleeding is so difficult).
But I started to live with the bad brake perfromance.

Now the new alarm woke me up because the last time I had this alarm the brakes did not work any more.

This time they came back up after 15 long seconds.

I am very scared driving this car and I wanted to ask for your advise.
Does anyone of you have an explanation of what happened that triggered the alarm?

I notices all the time that in normal traffic after every second brake action the electric brake assist motor was running.

I need help:

Knowing hydraulic systems very well (my profession) I understand that the nitrogen charge of the accumulator might be low and there is simply not enough stored energy to cope with the demand of the brake system.
Is there anyone on this forum who has the specs for the accumulator charge (how much nitrogen charge in bar or psi ).
And has anyone recharged the accumulator.
Is there a Schrader or other charging valve on the accumulator or do
people simply buy a new accumulator?

Best, Martin
werminghausen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote