Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-21-2024, 10:17 PM

fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold

fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold fkheath is a splendid one to behold
The rake on the 4Runner is about 2" low on the front. Thus a 2" lift should make it level. Just keep in mind that the lower strut attachment to the lower control arm is about 1/2 way from the wheel to the pivot point, thus a 1" change on the shock spring mount will produce about 2" lift.

It is common to put in a "leveling kit" which usually raises the front 3" and the rear 1", thus a net front lift of 2" over the rear. When the 4Runner is "level" it looks so much more purposeful. But I agree that too much front lift, over 2" net, the truck looks rather dorky.

That small amount of lift is easily done with just spacers (front and rear) or adjustable shocks on the front and a spacer on the rear. Anything more than that, you get into a big expense for UCA and/or LCA, and a front differential drop.

I put in the Rough Country leveling kit (spacers front and rear) which said I would have 2 1/2" front and 1" rear, but it ended up with more like 3" in the front. I really like the look at that amount of net lift. At the back, the shocks are the only mechanical limit on the downward movement of the rear axle (to install the rear spacers, you just disconnect the lower shock mounts and let the axle drop enough to insert the spacers above the springs). IMO, you don't need new shocks at the back with small amount of lift.

I like the spacer approach over the shock spring mount approach, because the ride quality is not changed, because the springs and the shocks are the same. The 4Runner is notable for a soft suspension (some call it wallowy) but if you have ever driven a Jeep (Wrangler or old Cherokee) off road, you will appreciate the softer suspension -- you won't get jolted to death.

I have the three row 4Runner (the grandkids love the back seats) and I have never had a problem off roading with full up passengers -- five in the front and middle seats and two grandkids in the back.

Last edited by fkheath; 02-22-2024 at 10:36 AM.
fkheath is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote