Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 02-28-2024, 02:17 PM

El Dusty has a spectacular aura about El Dusty has a spectacular aura about El Dusty has a spectacular aura about

El Dusty has a spectacular aura about El Dusty has a spectacular aura about El Dusty has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4skrunner View Post
Looking to get some new tires this summer and I’m contemplating size vs weight. I currently have heavy mt tires and wish to gain some mileage back. What I’m proposing is a change from:

285/70/17 Falken wildpeak mt load C 32.8” 62 lbs

To:

285/75/17 Firestone destination xt load D 33.9” 53.7 lbs

So gaining about an inch in height but losing about 8 lbs per tire.

Any speculation as to what effect this new taller but lighter tire would have on MPGs? Stock gears.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
For your size change you may be saving weight but you are relocating the weight at a farther radius. IE less weight but increased inertia which counteract each other in terms of mpg changes. More inertia means more resistance to rotational acceleration.

It will probably feel a little less slugish during acceleration and breaking with slightly lower rpm ranges once you are up to speed. This is un-sprung weight savings which most people agree has a significantly larger impact on mpg than sprung weight reduction. I agree with most others here that think you will see no overall mpg change.

For reference those C load wildpeaks are pretty heavy because Falken developed them as one of the stock sizes for the Jeep Galdiator Rubicons when they first came out. I ran a set of their ATs in the same size and took a hit to mpg after that.

I switched to 255/80/17 wildpeaks after that set which is around 8 lb savings per tire. Almost no difference in mpgs I do love the 255s on and offroad though. Just taller than the 285/70s and it feels much lighter driving around town. Much better in snow and slush, the 285s wanted to float too much. I will probably stick with this size or go to 34x10.5 next.

Last edited by El Dusty; 02-28-2024 at 02:33 PM.
El Dusty is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote