Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Brake Gremlin
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2024, 03:21 PM

werminghausen is on a distinguished road

werminghausen is on a distinguished road
Thanks for asking about the firmness.

I believe the MC piston is tight, brake is not fading. Once the pedal it hit the braking is constant and pedal is 'fading'.
However the pedal feels soft in general and I don't like it. But there seems to be not much I can do about it with bleeding.

When I first bought this car the first thing I noticed was the soft brakes and I worked on the calipers in 2020, all of them. I noticed that pistons were seized so much on the front brakes that I had to replace the front calipers while the I could just reseal the rear calipers.
After that (calipers were all free with new pads) the braking was very much improved and firm.

Two/three years later the brakes were getting softer and softer and then in Year 2023 the rear brake line broke and the pump failed and left me stranded. This was not fun as I had to tow the car back home.
After repairing the broken rear line and installing a rebuilt brake motor/accumulator the brakes work(kind of) but is still too soft.
Plus I have the problem that after every second minor braking action the motor/pump is running. This at least once lead to a difficult situation on the highway when after some harder braking the brake alarm went off for about 15 seconds .
I still don't know if this is normal and how often others brake until the motor has to replenish the pressure- therefore my questions around the accumulator, no one said something.
I know as a fact that the accumulators (piston and membrane accumulators) can be leaky and nitrogen atoms can escape leading to lower fluid storage capacity and gas in the brake fluid... leading to sof brake pedal just like air in the system.
In this case the gas would then probably stay within the MC area....

Without having more success with bleeding I guess my next bet is working of the calipers.

Japanese brake feeling.... True, I was driving BMW and MB back in the days on the German Autobahn in the 80 and 90s and You could definitely not do this kind of race driving with my T4R. That might be a DNA issue- the car is simply not made for that performance. However my T4R brakes were at least factor 1.5-2 better after my last rebuilding in 2020. So I know if can be much better.

Any of your opinions would help regarding the intervals the brake motor should kick in.
And the effect of dragging brake calipers on braking and pedal softness.

Martin
werminghausen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote