Home Menu

Site Navigation

Thread: Brake Gremlin
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2024, 01:07 PM

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
[QUOTE=werminghausen;3830771]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AuSeeker View Post
In your very 1st post in this thread you stated...

"I have not had a car with such complicated brake booster/ABS than the 4th Gen.
My brakes quit 3 years after I bought the 4th Gen (2002 model)."

My question is what year is your T4R actually, a 2002 or 2003, I ask because a 2002 is a 3rd Gen not a 4th gen?

That being asked, at this point I would replace the entire master cylinder/booster assembly, a bit pricey at about $1300 to $1350 +/- depending on source but it should solve all of your issues provided you get all the air out of the system after installing the assembly.

Hi Auseeker,

I misspoke, I have a 2003 T4R with a 4.7 V8. So I have this diffcult to maintain electric motor assist Brake/ABS unit that is not well understood (by myself) as I simply know the old system with the idiot proof vacuum booster and add on ABS of my older Mercedes.

As I know hydraulic systems very well (I am a mechanical engineer) i would need the hydraulic diagrams or true sections of this unit and some data in order to understand the functions, maintenance and repairs better.
I believe I could do a much better job this way and don't ask stupid questions.

For sure I could buy a new unit and install and most problems would be solved... but I love these mechanical challenges and I am happy to drill into it and learn.

I'll look into the manual excerpt.

Thanks, Martin
I wish you the best of luck trying to understand how these ABS booster master cylinder systems work on these T4Rs, if you figure it out please enlighten the forum!!

That being said even Toyota dealership/Techs know very little on how this system actually works, if you take yours to a dealer they WILL NOT replace any of the parts like the accumulator/motor/pump, they will only replace the entire master cylinder booster assembly, there is nothing in the Toyota Shop Manual on servicing this system other than the bleeding process and how to R&R the complete assembly.

We even have a couple Toyota Master Techs as members here and they say the same.

How the actual master cylinder works is basic hydraulics, but it's the ABS booster portion that is the mystery and I think that lack of available knowledge is intentional on Toyota's part!!

That lack of knowledge could be because of possible liability issues for Toyota is my best guess since it's the brakes.

Last edited by AuSeeker; 03-03-2024 at 01:13 PM.
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote