Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 02:39 PM

mavrick1903 is on a distinguished road

mavrick1903 is on a distinguished road
Spare Tire Hoist: Lessons Learned

Replaced the spare tire hoist with a chain version from ebay. Getting the old one out was a little rough and in retrospect, may have not been needed after it was all said and done. Fail point seemed like it was where the stainless cable entered the housing. Could be wrong. Thing wouldnt budget and couldnt get to it until I cut the tire off the cable. (Sawzal with a bi-metal Milwaukee Torch blade cut through it like butter)

OEM hoist is threaded with six (6) bolts going in from the top side. The two outter bolts are for the "funnel" assembly and there are 4 more that are easier to access once the funnel is removed. Mine were pretty rusty so I ended up spending some quality time with my RA grinder to take the bolts down.

New hoist is in place with two bolts for the moment, which I dont love. The new hoist is also threaded but only two holes lined up. I'll get back under and deal with the other two in the very near future. The two bolts are threaded into the new hoist just like OEM, but backed with nuts so it's ok, just will feel better about two more bolts holding it in place.

Also, the 255 70R18 Falken Wild Peaks are a 32.06" tire and that BARELY fits. Barley as in I had to guide it in so it wasnt in contact with the pan-hard bar.
mavrick1903 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote