Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 03-26-2024, 02:21 AM

Apogeo is on a distinguished road

Apogeo is on a distinguished road
Speaker Upgrade Time! Advice Requested

Hey fellow runners,

I have a 2016 4R Trail that has been great to me. Don't do too much in the dirt, but get a lot of play in the snow and mountains.

Currently looking to improve the road trip entertainment. Not looking to rattle the rear plate or create a competition car. Listen to everything, 90s hip hop, EDM, classic rock, reggae, jazz, classical

I consider myself to be an audio enthusiast (7.2.2 Focal Aria (Flax) with REL (very musical, not boomy) subs) at home. I am, however, new to the car audio world but understand the concepts of frequency, impedance, and importance of tuning a system.

Already changed out the factory head unit to get CarPlay. Went with the Sony XAV-9000ES (20 watts RMS CTA-2006/55 peak x 4 channels) as it is a flush mount and has a reference quality DAC + DSP. Got it from Trail Grid Pro - super easy, but replace the shit plastic mounts they use with the stock metal ones and you are golden, sooo much screen vibration with the plastic ones

Now onto the speaker selection.

Ideally looking to keep it pretty simple, no sub or amp and retain the stock wiring out of laziness... if possible. Willing to add an amp if necessary. Below are my ideas for config, would love some input/sanity checks.

Option 1 (can get 50% off MSRP on these):

Front door + Dash: Focal ES 165K 100 watts RMS (200 watts peak power) 4 Ohms Component
Rear Passenger + Hatch: Focal EC-165K 6.5" 80W RMS (160W Peak Power Handling) 4 Ohms 2-Way Coaxial

Option 2:

Dash: Audiofrog GS25 GS Series 2-1/2" midrange car speakers
Front Door: Audiofrog GS693 GS Series 6"x9" 3-way car speakers
Rear Passenger + Hatch: Audiofrog GS62 GS Series 6" 2-way car speakers

Any concerns having the front tweeters by the feet? Would you suggest the 6x9 components instead?

I am hoping that these will be a nice upgrade from stock. Any opinions on the above options? Understand that Focal is bright, but I know this from the home setup. With no sub would you choose one over the other?

Getting ahead of the 'you need an amp' statement I have found two that have piqued my interest. Only want to go down this route if necessary, may plan on this long term either way but for now trying to keep it simple.

Amp Option 1: Audison SR 5.600 5 Channel D-Class Amplifier 1000 Watt Amp SR5600 - in case I want to add a sub via the OEM JBL enclosure

Amp Option 2: Sony XMS400D Compact 4-channel car amplifier — 45 watts RMS x 4 - I like that this is small but gives a bump to the HU amp. Should be able to hide this nicely in or behind the glovebox, and also allows me to retain the stock wiring without worry of melting the shielding.

Already planning on strategic sound deadening in the doors.

If anyone had a suggested set of speaker mounts I would greatly appreciate input as well. Not impressed with the Metra options.

Appreciate any wisdom, experience, thoughts you can provide!

Last edited by Apogeo; 03-26-2024 at 02:39 AM.
Apogeo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote