Thread: Brake Gremlin
View Single Post
Old 03-30-2024, 12:00 PM

werminghausen is on a distinguished road

werminghausen is on a distinguished road
Here is my summary of what happens

As of March 27 after installing the new brake pump accumulator on my 2003 T4R
I experienced some weird things
Key in the ‘ignition on’ position (no engine start) is leading to one of the two modes….
The more I am repeating this exercise the more dominant B becomes meaning A is happening only very rarely (maybe one out of 10)
A)
VCS/TRAC/ABS/BRAKE alarm light issue:
All 4 warning lights come up but no alarm sound and brake motor does not run..
During test drive I am still having good braking power.
B)
VCS/TRAC/ABS/BRAKE alarm light PLUS alarm sound issue
All 4 warning lights come and alarm sound!
Brake pump motor runs non stop.
In addition in B I have the sighing/wining noise coming from the side of the brake booster unit
(see/hear video)

What do the VCS/TRAC/ABS/BRAKE alarm lights mean?
I simply don’t know for sure what the lights mean.
If the single lights come on if could mean:

1 Brake alarm light…. If this light comes on solely then it could be emergency brake on or low
Brake fluid (if it stays on when the emergency brake is released)

2 VSC/TRAC alarm light might be coming on as a pair (at least I have not seen the ASC /Trac light coming on as a single light, same for Trac off

3 ABS alarm light… I don’t think I ever saw that light come on single… but it might come on single if there is a specific problem with the ABS?

4 All lights come on at once
It could be that all theses lights and the alarm sound come on if the brake pressure is not reached
(if brake pressure not reached/ ABS VSC/Trac will also come on)
If the ABS or VSC/Trac has a problem…. My guess is they come on separately (I once had the VSC/Trac light up separately) . Maybe the car can still be driven in an emergency but the alarm will be so obvious that it is clear that car needs service

5 All lights and Alarm Sound come on all at once:
I am not sure what the difference it make between 4 and 5 (alarm sound added to the mix)
Maybe this is a higher alarm and driving the car is now dangerous

What might trigger the alarm?
1 There is a physical problem causing the pressure not be built correctly
a Pump not working correctly (how often are pump failures reported?)
b Accumulator not working correctly (there is a new 75 bar original Toyota unit installed- expensive part, so chances are that this unit is good..but with the higher pressures the pump has to perform better)
c Traction/ABS sensors at wheels not working… but this might trigger ABS/VSC-Trac lights only
d electronic glitch? Wiring issues, computer problem etc .

[-Edit: Comment from Auseeker :
e Problem with the black box /ABS VSC 'computer'...would trigger the symptoms I have]

Questions
-Please comment on my points above
- What is your assumption of the primary problem in the system?
(a Pump not able to provide the pressure despite the pump turning?
b accumulator not working, c ABS sensors malfunctioning at wheel, d electrical glitch

- Do you think I could solve the issues with buying a new brake booster unit?

Thanks for all your help
Attached Images
Brake Gremlin-screenshot-2023-09-19-3-36-06-pm-jpg 

Last edited by werminghausen; 03-30-2024 at 12:27 PM.
werminghausen is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote