Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-01-2024, 12:41 PM

teotwaki is just really nice teotwaki is just really nice teotwaki is just really nice teotwaki is just really nice

teotwaki is just really nice teotwaki is just really nice teotwaki is just really nice teotwaki is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leucoandro View Post
Hello all.

I really like the idea of this transmission cooler. I have some questions for others before I order though.

I like the way the cooler mounts on the passenger side (eliminated the need to relocate the horn), but it looks like it would change the way it should be plumbed to the transmission cooler exit from the radiator. On the FJ Cruise the cooler is mounted on the drivers side, and attaches where the elbow joint hose was at the exit of the factory transmission cooler integrated into the radiator.

With the add on cooler mounted on the passenger side, that would mean the hoses need to be a lot longer, which might not be idea.

I was looking under the hood of my 4Runner and the hose from the radiator mounted transmission cooler runs along the base of the radiator, then turns and runs up the passenger side of the radiator before turning again and running back to the radiator.

To me (not a mechanic) it looks like the best way to route the hose to the new external transmission cooler would be from the cold metal tube near the top passenger side of the radiator to the external cooler, then from the external cooler using a union to tie back to the hose that runs to the transmission.

Is anyone else doing the above when routing theirs?

I also have a side question. From what I have read, add on coolers (transmission cooler, power steering cooler, etc) all benefit more by being closer to the radiator (because of how the fan draws air through the front grill and into the engine compartment). Is there enough room, and would I benefit from mounting the cooler to the inside (opposite side) of the mount?

Thanks,

Charlie
I'm guessing you didn't see all of the pictures I posted? Scroll back to message #41 and up and they may answer a number of questions.

The FJ's engine radiator mounting is different as are the openings available for hose routing. The best routing on the 4R is on the passenger side as the steel lines from the trans run along the passenger side.

In my install I ran both of the cooler's hoses together but in hindsight I could have run them differently and shortened them a bit. As I recall, one could have home-runned to the steel trans line and the other could have attached to the short steel line coming up from the radiator that you mentioned. The second short steel line can be capped off and abandoned in place. When I get the energy I'll go back and do all that.

The problem with the ideal routing is that it was near impossible to get my hand and a tool in there to remove the factory line clamp. I think a lot of other things will have to be unbolted to create access.

I don't think there is enough room to mount the cooler on the other side of the bracket but I suppose you can try and let us know. I think it might require an entirely new bracket to gain probably very little in terms of air flow coupling if there is such a term. Probably need a engine-mechanical engineer to weigh in.

As an aside, buy some replacement plastic fasteners for the top radiator cover. Some of the Amazon offerings are so brittle they break easily. I bought these and although they look different from OEM they seem to hold well and don't easily break.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B6HGJ2TY...roduct_details
teotwaki is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote