Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-06-2024, 05:15 PM

Deej101 is on a distinguished road

Deej101 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ToyGuy View Post
Two possibilities here, honestly.
One: bring a battery in good shape, one that's charged up to 12.XX VDC, and sit it in the seat beside you. Hook two wires to it, very long ones, of different colors, and use them to apply the required voltage to the item being tested. Just be certain the car's battery is disconnected from the vehicle's systems. Honestly, best to disconnect the item under test entirely from the vehicle's systems, if possible. That way you're certain that the only voltage being applied to the item under test is from your test battery.
Not a bad idea to have an in-line fuse in the test battery's wire. Hot or return, it doesn't matter. The fuse should be equivalent to the fuse in the vehicle's system that feeds the item under test. Have a selection of fuses available, so you can change them out for different test items.

Second: You can use the vehicle's battery, if it's in decent shape, and charged to something over 12 VDC. Best method, IMHO, is to connect a couple of wires to the car's battery, and run them in through an open window. That way you can keep track of them. Keep them separate from the vehicles systems, so you know for certain which ones they are. Again, a fuse in one of the wires is a very good idea.
Alternatively, you can find a wire that provides the required voltage from the vehicles wiring. Heck, plug it it as normal, and set things up as though you're item under test is operating normally inside the vehicle's systems. Measure the voltage being applied by the vehicles systems on the two pins required, to ensure they are receiving the required voltage from the vehicle. If they are, problem solved.

Given a choice, I'd go with the first method. If the item under test is removed from the vehicle's systems entirely, you know it's not being influenced by the vehicle's systems.

I'm a radar tech by profession, and electrical shop supervisor.
Pat☺
Pat, thank you so much. So my instinct wasn't really off at all. I have an excessive fear/respect for all things electrical, so I tend to triple check my thinking before ever taking action in that arena. Your post really helped.

This truck has so many weird things going on that I want to finally get to the bottom of everything, and it requires that I become comfortable and proficient with completely testing the electrical stuff. And I want to do it right.

If you know of any good youtube vids along those lines, please post em. I really really like Timmy the Toolman's videos because of how exceedingly thorough he is, especially with the details (I am *very* detail oriented). So, like that but for electrical.

Again, thanks. Greatly appreciated!
Deej101 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote