Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-08-2024, 08:44 AM

R4Adventure is on a distinguished road

R4Adventure is on a distinguished road
Sherpa Roof Rack, Lights and Switches

This is a foundational part and needed if I want to run the roof top tent that I bought for my outgoing Tacoma build.

I looked at both the Sherpa and the Prinsu racks. I didn’t consider many of the others, like Front Runner, as I needed a lower profile rack as clearance is a concern right now. My 4Runner is currently my DD and the parking garage to my job has a low clearance and with the current lift, it’s a tight fit. This also applies to my apartment garage.

I ended up going with Sherpa. Nothing against Prinsu and though the Sherpa was more expensive, I liked the design better and the rack appears to be more solid.

That said, installation was straight forward and I was able to do this solo.

When I purchased the Princeton Sherpa rack, I also bought the ExtremeLED dual color light-bar, and I carried over the Heretic ditch lights I had on my Tacoma build and am now using them as chase lights, though I probably need something to dim them.

I also installed some amazon special rock lights that are mounted on the rack for area lights.

This did require me transferring over the Auxpower 6 gang switch kit that I had on my Tacoma. Most people choose the 8 gang switch, which the aftermarket has created a lot of bracket designs to accommodate most of these options. Long term, I plan to get a SwitchPros setup, but when I purchased the 6 gang switch, I was on a tight budget. Going the 6 gang route meant I had to get creative with the bracket.

I found a bracket for another switch that dimensionally was close to the 6 gang switch box I bought. Here's a link if your interested.

TRIGGER Toyota Tacoma Underhood Controller Bracket | Trigger Wireless Accessory Controllers

This is the bracket that I started with:

I did needed to elongate one of the front switch holes and the rear holes were almost perfect to mount a BlueSea's bus bar. I think it turned out pretty good. I also like the fact that this uses standard relays, which are easy to replace if one goes out.

Mounting the interior switch was easy. The 4Runner center stack has plenty of open space to mount it.

Overall, I am very impressed with the build of the rack. I plan on using it to run either my roof top tent or other gear depending on what adventure I am going on.

The rack light setup is pretty bright too!

R4Adventure is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote