Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-14-2024, 10:11 AM

T4R_Canuck has a spectacular aura about T4R_Canuck has a spectacular aura about

T4R_Canuck has a spectacular aura about T4R_Canuck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulprogression108 View Post
Hi guys I have a 2011 Trail Edition 70k miles. I've noticed recently it sounds like it has a slight ping. It sounds similar to 94 22RE ping I had that I cleared up with rolling timing back and premium fuel.

I was hoping I'd be done with pings after buying this truck, but it seems to have a slight one going on. Strangely it's only when cruising highway speed 50-65 very light acceleration that I hear it. I tried putting some premium in it, but still seemed to be there. I only hear it when driving at night when it's quiet enough and with windows up. I'm thinking perhaps it might take a tank or two for the motor to adjust timing to the higher octane fuel?

I did read that some Tacoma's with the 1GRFE in similar year range actually had a TSB or possibly recall (forgotten now) for pinging. The dealer would flash or update the computer I think and that fixed it as well as improving mpgs.

I'd say mpg is pretty on for the age of truck. I get 16-17 around town and have gotten 21 on long flat highway hauls.

Anyone else experienced this in their truck? Has had regular oil changes but it probably due up for spark plugs and coolant, but I somehow don't think either of these would cause the ping. Hoping a tank or two of premium and maybe some fuel system cleaner will do the trick.

I suppose it could be an exhaust leak too, but it sounds so much like the old 22re ping that I'm thinking that way.

Any good Toyota apps for these trucks? I have OBD bluetooth pod and some apps so I can observe fuel, timing, temps etc. but wondering if you guys have any recommendations for adjusting settings in the truck like seat belt dingers etc. and possibly adjusting engine settings etc.

Thank you!
I would start with the basics and pull a spark plug to check condition. A bad spark plug can cause improper combustion and cause the ping you describe.

Depending on how long it's been since you change your plugs, I'd likely spend the $100 and change em all, throw a can of seafoam in your gas tank and see if anything improves.
2014 Trail Premium w/ KDSS. OME 3" Lift w/ medium springs, Greenlane Diff Drop, SPC UCA, LT285/70R17 Falken Wildpeak AT3W E Load, Level 8 MK6 17" x 8, 0 offset, Element by RA Automotive Engine Skid, Prinsu Full Length No Drill Rack, ICS Dash mount.
T4R_Canuck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote