Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-15-2024, 02:05 PM

lightnakite is on a distinguished road

lightnakite is on a distinguished road
My thoughts:

1. Set-up/Take down gets old pretty quick. I got really tired of this ritual. To speed things up I would remove blankets/pillows and place inside my truck, because the more stuff you leave inside the harder it is to close back up. This experience worse if you are packing up camp in the rain. If you add things like condensation pads or extra topper for your bed then this also makes this worse. Putting in the rods for the windows was pretty pointless most of the time for me. It is a very awkward process hanging out the window to install them especially in the rain. Adds 5minutes to setup and a bit less for takedown. I rarely installed them.

2. Set-up anywhere. RTT can be setup easily in terrain that would be more challenging in a ground tent. i.e. Rocks, sand, mud, wet surfaces, sharp objects. This is a big advantage of RTT.

3. Sleeping experience is very fun. Always felt like a kid playing in a treehouse. I dreamed of the RTT experience and it was worth it in the short-term. Great morning views parked on a beach or mountaintop. The RTT makes these experiences better than being on the ground. The mattress was pretty comfortable and I always felt very cozy.

4. Safety. I did alot of travel in Mexico/US/Canada and almost never in paid campsites. Alot of times this meant I was choosing stealth temporary camp locations off the beaten path. I could never be entirely comfortable in these situations because there is always a time delay for me to pack up and leave. For this reason I now prefer making a bed inside the truck, locked doors and ability to dash in a moment rather than minutes. I had a few spooky instances in USA and Mexico where I resented the time it was taking me to gtfo.

5. Height Restriction. You become too tall for many height restricted areas such as parking garages or broken tree branches etc. I have a 3" lift and a BajaRack flat rack. Without my tent I can clear 6'8" and at this height its hard to remember a time where this was a problem.

6. Rooftop cargo space. Once you have a RTT all of your cargo must go inside the vehicle(I have sunroof cut-out roof rack). So lets say you want to move some lumber, mattress, surfboards, etc. this becomes more difficult or you have to go through the ordeal of removing the tent. (Once you install it on you will not want to repeat the process!). You can still move lumber/surfboards by allowing them to protrude out the rear window, but in my experience I found wood chips/dust or sand all over my vehicle afterwards.

7. Squeaky! Getting funky in the RTT is pretty fun but not exactly stealth! (LOL). Putting alot of faith in the ladder support in these scenarios!

8. Stormy/Windy weather. It's alot harder to sleep in RTT when its windy or stormy.

I sold my RTT and now sleep inside my t4r. It often requires a bit of shuffling of cargo, but I enjoy the get up and go agility and flexibility to use my rooftop or interior cargo space to suit my needs. It's also more quiet and easier to climate control.

Owning a RTT was a must-have experience for me, but I could not avoid the slow creep of buyers remorse and had to part ways with it. I'm glad I had the experience but I don't miss it.

Last edited by lightnakite; 04-15-2024 at 02:32 PM.
lightnakite is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote