Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-16-2024, 07:21 AM

osugsxr is a jewel in the rough osugsxr is a jewel in the rough osugsxr is a jewel in the rough osugsxr is a jewel in the rough

osugsxr is a jewel in the rough osugsxr is a jewel in the rough osugsxr is a jewel in the rough osugsxr is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by shock003 View Post
I've seen the older posts on this topic, but still curious.
I have a 2016 Trail Premium (Now called: TRD Off Road) and HATE the Entune head unit. It is useless. I would like to integrate my iPhone via Carplay. (I've never used it, but seems like a better option and maybe mirrors my iPhone)

I read that folks are finding 2020-21 head units and harnesses (from autoharnesshouse), but read issues about Hazard switch and mods to use original (UGH). And a few other issues like steering control buttons not working. Maybe there is nothing new to report.

Also, when I look on eBay there is a company in CA selling this for a LOT of money $2499 with harness adapter. I read about avoiding someone on eBay (maybe same guy?) Others get units for $800 plus harness cost.

What year head unit do I look for? (2021-2022 only?) Maybe I need to find a salvage vehicle to get for a decent price. Any issue updates on install/usage?
Is this retrofit worth it and what works well and what doesn't? This forum site has become painful to search and load pages with all the advertising, so forgive me if there are additional threads that I haven't found.

I hate the 2025 4runner that was just announced...I mean come on Toyota...the fold down rear seats is an AWFUL design change. No longer lay flat for storing and sleeping. deal breaker right there (and other things). So I am holding on to mine.
I did the retrofit about a year ago and Ive had no issues. It brought new life to 4runner to me larger screen and car play. The hazard switch is simple trimming to fit the old one in. Just be patient and careful while following the guide someone posted. The steering controls work fine , I mainly use car play 95% of the time and no issues.

Part:
search: search NON jbl headunit , whatever you find at a good price (gps or non gps) I hardly use the toyota gps since I use car play (Waze, google)

Car part . com ive seen a few listed from $200-600 range, I picked one up off ebay for $250 with minor hairline scratches on the bezel.

I sold my old head unit for $200 since I didnt plan on changing it out nor wanted to store it. If I sell or trade it in I might pick up a cheap one off ebay. Its a 5 minute job to swap out headunits now. I did have a sony 8100 and enjoye the extra volume/power but wife didnt care for the floating look and the stock look is good.