Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-17-2024, 12:46 PM

Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough

Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough Too Stroked is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackDuggan View Post
Thanks. The calipers were rebuilt, from Advance Auto. They moved easily on the slide pins. I didn't take the pins out as they were together with the bracket when I bought them. This is the first vehicle I've had with this type of braking system. I was accustomed to replacing front pads twice before having to do the rears, but the rears on this have worn twice as fast as the fronts.
The first thing I'd look at are the calipers and the possibility that they're hanging up. Why you say? Because parts store rebuilt / remanufactured parts are notorious for poor quality right out of the box. I can't begin to tell you how many I've seen problems with.

And the sliders are not the only thing that can cause a caliper to hang up. I actually had a "remanufactured" caliper from Advance a number of years ago that looked pretty good, but locked up right away. I pulled the piston out to find it almost totally corroded. Yea, they rebuilt that one.

There can be several problems with this type of caliper. First, was the core that they rebuilt an actual Toyota part or an aftermarket part? Second, what kind of parts did they use in the rebuild process? Most of the rebuilt ones use junk components. Third, what was the actual process that they used to rebuild them. The word "sketchy" comes to mind here.
Too Stroked is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote