Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 04-26-2024, 04:50 AM

wing2 is on a distinguished road

wing2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bzizzi View Post
Dealer told me Toyota Japan has been busy with order on the final run of the 5th gen before production begin on the 6h gen. Dealer said people are buying the hell out of the 5th gen in all trim levels anticipating much higher prices and unproven
reliability. Dealer told me that most are already pre sold before they come in.
They are giving discounts on the 5th.
I think There is probably some semblance of truth in what the dealer told you. I purchased a 2024 SR5 Premium last week. We traded a 2023 Crown. The Crown was fine, a very nice and sharp looking car. The fuel mileage was incredible. Unfortunately, my wife and I found ourselves more comfortable in my 2023 Tundra SR5 TRD Off Road 6.5 foot bed. Particularly on long trips. The plan was to keep the Crown for ten years while it was covered under the ten year extended warranty, and take advantage of the incredible savings on fuel, particularly if the cost of fuel goes up (even more). However after making a trip to the Northern part of our state of Maine to view the eclipse, and choosing to take the Tundra, we decided to rethink our plan. Two Pickup trucks seemed illogical, so the 4Runner was an easy choice. I am very much an " old School" proven reliability type guy. As such, I definitely wanted a Fifth generation 4Runner. Having said that, I am very happy with my Tundra, turbos and all. If the timing had been different, and I had a choice like I did this time, I would have chosen the proven 5.7 liter V8. Time will tell how the smaller displacement turbo charged engines stand up.Logic dictates that likely not as long as naturally aspirated engines that Toyota used for decades, however only the years and miles will tell the real story. I think Toyota typically tests things pretty extensively before going to market, and are typically fairly good at standing behind their product. Certaily for the warranty period. I have the ten year zero deductible platinum warranty on both vehicles. I think this is prudent with the cost of repairs on modern vehicles with so much technology. Particularly since these warranties are available at an "affordable" price, vs. other manufacturers. There is a reason for that. I am very happy to have purchased a new 4Runner with the unchanged proven reliable components. However, if the timing had been different, and the sixth generation was my only option, I would not hesitate. The new 4Runner seems to me like it will be a very cool, and sharp looking vehicle. It's likely to cost more, and reliability will be in question until proven otherwise. As I said, these vehicles can be warrantied for ten years. I am going to drive my Tundra and enjoy it. I hope those that buy a sixth generation 4 Runner do the same.
wing2 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote