View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 01:09 PM

Waterman2112 is on a distinguished road

Waterman2112 is on a distinguished road
I rechecked when the vehicle was at operating temperature… plugged the Vector charger up and rechecked with the alternator diagnostic button… it showed “alt good” then went back to battery voltage with the vehicle still running… it showed 14.7 volts and 15.5 amps.. THEN.. right then and there the amp screen went blank.. pushing again on the voltage button the volts were 13.5 volts (if you push that button again it toggles to amps)… NO amps displayed.. it didn’t even say zero amps.. it just didn’t display anything for amps…. Then hit the alternator test button.. it displayed a blinking alt icon and a triangle with a (!) in the middle of it… bad alternator…

So it seems my alternator is working some of the time but probably not working most of the time… weird… I guess that’s the way they fail..? Intermittent… then complete…? Probably so..

I checked out a couple of YouTube videos on changing the alternator… seems straightforward with some tight bolts on a back bracket assembly… the last 8 numbers on my VIN say it’s a 130amp type (2 choices for the Runner it seems at 100amp and 130amp) probably a good time to change the serpentine belt..

Just want to see if I was missing something… Any advice on additional checks are very much appreciated.
2015 Trail | Attitude Black | Toytec Boss Front @ 2.00" | Camburg UCAs | Icon Shifters | Weather Tech | Cooper AT3 LT275/70R17 - C Load. | Sway-a-way Rear Springs 1.5" | 5100 Rear Dampers. | Spiders 1.25
Waterman2112 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote