Home Menu

Site Navigation

View Single Post
Old 05-11-2024, 03:29 PM

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future

AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future AuSeeker has a brilliant future
My ABS/master cylinder has been acting up and going bad in the last 2 weeks or so, I had the alarm sounding and a very hard brake pedal, so basically no brakes, it was the electric motor that I'm guessing the brushes are just worn out, for a week or so I could tap on the motor few times and it would start running again and the alarm would stop and I had brakes again but then no amount of tapping would get it going again as of yesterday, drove home from work with no brakes, traffic was light and I have only 2 stop signs on my route home, I used downshifting and then the parking brake to make it home, about a 20 minute rural drive.

2 weeks ago I bit the bullet and ordered a complete OEM ABS/master cylinder assembly, I was only going to do this once and even just to replace the electric motor the complete assembly has to be removed and reinstalled so a new assembly was what I did.

I just finished installing the ABS/master cylinder assembly, so far so good, I only bled the master cylinder at this point and the brakes are pretty good.

It took several minutes to get the alarm to stop, the electric motor on my assembly seems to only run for about 5 seconds then stops for about 5 seconds and then runs again for 5 seconds, this continued for at least 10 cycles before the alarm stopped, I then depressed the pedal about 7 to 8 times and the alarm returned...but only for about 5 to 10 seconds, after that I couldn't get the alarm to trigger even after over 20 depressions of the pedal, I'll report back later as to how many depressions it takes to get the motor to trigger again.

I will at a later date do a full 4 wheel bled and also use my new scanner to bleed the ABS system and post if any improvement over how the brakes work now.

As it has been mentioned on the forum it was straightforward to do the R&R....but I would say it was far from easy getting to the 4 nuts under the dash and I have cuts and scrapes to prove it!!

I did have to remove the screws/bolts/nuts for the fuse block and a couple of brackets to gain better access to the master cylinder nuts, I only lost one nut that fell down between the seat and console apparently never to be seen again, I spend close to an hour trying to find it using a magnet and my arms, but no luck, I did however find all the other numerous items I have dropped down there over the last few years!!

Last edited by AuSeeker; 05-11-2024 at 03:35 PM.
AuSeeker is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote