View Single Post
Old 05-22-2024, 05:58 PM

thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about

thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about thatoneguy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by arouth View Post
I read an article on MotorTrend comparing the Tacoma (which the 2025 4Runner is based on for the most part) to the Ford Ranger and it pointed out a lot of flaws in the new Tacoma.

Loud when driving, wandering/hunting 8 speed transmission, numb steering feel to name a few things in the article. I’ve done a massive amount of updates to my 2015 4Runner Trail Premium to where it now actually feels like a premium vehicle, so while I was looking forward to the redesign I think this is putting the brakes on me buying the new model. I also kind of like the boxier look of the 5th gen but that one is minor.
I think people with the older generation of a vehicle have a knee-jerk habit of poo-poo'ing on the new one upon release, especially when they haven't driven it. It makes you feel better about what you have, that you "bought the exact perfect one". Maybe it's a coping mechanism. In reality, most new generations are overall better than the prior ones (with some exceptions).

I think there is a near zero chance that:
-The new Tacoma/4Runner is louder than the outgoing generation while driving. Noise, Vibration, & Harshness are what every manufacturer chases on next generation designs, along with increased structural rigidity.
-The new Tacoma/4Runner gear hunt more, or even as much, as the not-exactly-world-class 5-speed and 6-speed autos in the outgoing ones. EVERYBODY talks about the hunting behavior of the 5 and 6 speeds. I've heard 2024 Tacoma reviewers repeatedly say the transmission shifting behavior is night-and-day compared to the notorious old Tacoma automatic. When people list positives of these outgoing transmissions, they list bulletproof reliability. That tends to be the end of the list.

Numb steering? Well, it's generally regarded as a characteristic of EPS racks, and EPS racks are chosen for efficiency and other reasons (such as the ability to be easily controlled by driver assistance systems).

I personally also like the boxier look of 5G compared to the very slanted 6G windshield, which was likely done for efficiency reasons. The Land Cruiser 250 retains a steep windshield and I really like how it looks. This new platform is probably going to be much improved over the old when it comes to thinks like rotting out from rust.

Last edited by thatoneguy; 05-22-2024 at 06:00 PM.
thatoneguy is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote