View Single Post
Old 08-03-2004, 02:08 PM

Bluto is on a distinguished road

Bluto is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally posted by Thai
Bluto,
You Acura CLS system is a bit different. Your Acura has VSA (stability control) and traction control (over front tires). When slippage is encountered, these electronic nannies kick in. Part of it's effect is cutting your throttle (aka engine power)...so you bog down. That's the bad thing about these systems...they cut engine power to reduce wheel slippage, in addition to braking the individual wheel. So, this may explain why you cannot get up your snowy driveway. If possible, try to shut off VSA next time...you may have better luck. If Acura system is like Toyota's, then VSA and traction control are separate entity...and VSA is the part that dethrottles. So, by shutting off VSA, you won't bog down so much.

The above situation by Bluto's Acura is similar to the few complaints of Toyota's VSC function. Toyota's VSC cuts engine power when it senses slippage. That is why when you pull out onto a street from a gravel road, there's a hesitation (aka engine power being cut by VSC). Thus, when off-roading, you need to lock the center diff to shut off VSC/dethrottling function. This will leave ATRAC intact, but prevents your engine power from being cut.
One button turns off both VSA & Traction.

My brother and I tried to experiment. We cleared the right half of the driveway. When VSA was OFF, I did not go far. VSA ON, I would go farther up the driveway, we could hear the left brake chatter. As the driveway slope gradually increased, my forward movement would stop.

Stopping was caused by one of two things:
lack or torque or lack of traction.

My brother noted the (right) wheel with traction was not slipping, therefore throttle was not being cut by traction control. The brake could simply not apply enough torque transfer to the wheel with traction.

His truck in 2WD with the LSD had no problems, but his tires are totally different. A Tundra w/ LSD vs. Titan with ABLS would be a better comparison.
Bluto is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote