User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2016, 02:36 PM #1
FreshSeabass's Avatar
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
FreshSeabass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
- Bilstein 5160 Remote Resi 25-187700 3rd Gen-

Looking to upgrade the rear shocks from my current setup (Bilstein 5125) for more travel as well as remote reservoir. I have always liked the 5160 however, I cannot determine the valving needed or if anyone has run these shocks.
Attachment 219146 these are part# 25-187700

These are the shocks and they come in three valving options. I will be running these with 851's as soon as my Badlands Rear bumper shows up and drawers installed.

Comments and criticisms are appreciated. If you recommend a different shock let me know. Looking for shocks in the 10-12" travel range

Peace.
Attached Images
- Bilstein 5160 Remote Resi 25-187700 3rd Gen--image-jpeg 
__________________
1996 4Runner - 3RZ - 5 Speed| Lot's of stuff done to it that everyone said would never work... and it works. | Bilstein | Superwinch| Marlin Crawler| Dirt King| The list goes on...

Last edited by FreshSeabass; 09-12-2016 at 02:40 PM.
FreshSeabass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 02:43 PM #2
FreshSeabass's Avatar
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
FreshSeabass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
These are the shocks described: http://www.shockwarehouse.com/images...0Generic37.jpg

- Bilstein 5160 Remote Resi 25-187700 3rd Gen--image-jpeg
__________________
1996 4Runner - 3RZ - 5 Speed| Lot's of stuff done to it that everyone said would never work... and it works. | Bilstein | Superwinch| Marlin Crawler| Dirt King| The list goes on...
FreshSeabass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 05:02 PM #3
offroadxplr's Avatar
offroadxplr offroadxplr is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 87
Real Name: Laurin
offroadxplr is on a distinguished road
offroadxplr offroadxplr is offline
Member
offroadxplr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Flagstaff, AZ
Posts: 87
Real Name: Laurin
offroadxplr is on a distinguished road
Are you bumped down enough to fit a 16" compressed shock?

I know that even the Land Cruiser tokico's are only 14.5 compressed

That would be my only concern
__________________
1988 4Runner DLX: 33's, OME, 4x4 Labs Rear Bumper, TG Sliders, 4.7 tcase
2002 4Runner Sport Edition: Sold with 250K
offroadxplr is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016, 10:58 PM #4
FreshSeabass's Avatar
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
FreshSeabass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by offroadxplr View Post
Are you bumped down enough to fit a 16" compressed shock?

I know that even the Land Cruiser tokico's are only 14.5 compressed

That would be my only concern
I am bumped, I am looking into getting hydraulic bumps where the conical bumps go and extending the axle bumps a bit to compensate.
__________________
1996 4Runner - 3RZ - 5 Speed| Lot's of stuff done to it that everyone said would never work... and it works. | Bilstein | Superwinch| Marlin Crawler| Dirt King| The list goes on...
FreshSeabass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 02:42 PM #5
FreshSeabass's Avatar
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
FreshSeabass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
Bump. Anyone else had experience?
__________________
1996 4Runner - 3RZ - 5 Speed| Lot's of stuff done to it that everyone said would never work... and it works. | Bilstein | Superwinch| Marlin Crawler| Dirt King| The list goes on...
FreshSeabass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-13-2016, 11:26 PM #6
AssBurns's Avatar
AssBurns AssBurns is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Yucaipa, CA
Posts: 991
Real Name: Steven
AssBurns is on a distinguished road
AssBurns AssBurns is offline
Member
AssBurns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Yucaipa, CA
Posts: 991
Real Name: Steven
AssBurns is on a distinguished road
- Bilstein 5160 Remote Resi 25-187700 3rd Gen-

I'm running 255/70 and they are plenty soft with the used LC80 8.5 wraps. I would go at least 255/70 especially if you have any weight it the rear. I lowered mine from 250psi down to about 200psi. With too much weight they bottom out easy at that pressure. At 250psi they are fine with heavier loads though but not crazy stiff. I also didn't have to extend my bump stops because of the way I mounted them so I have more up travel than what you would have if you mount them in stock location. I would forsure go at 255/70 or even 360/80 if you want them a little stiffer or you have more weight in the rear (bumpers, spare tire, a bunch of tools, etc)


Also be aware that the collapsed length is pretty long for stock mounting location. You will have to extend your bump stops at least 3" I'd assume. Depending on how tall of springs you are running you might spit a coil at full extension with that long of a shock. Just my .02. If you can make it work great for your application then by all means go for it but from some experience, I wouldn't want to only a couple inches of up travel before I bottom out. The way I mounted my shocks (vertically) the compression ratios are pretty linear so they don't soften up throughout the compression cycle like they would if they were mounted angled like stock. So keep that in mind also when choosing your valving.
__________________
The BeerRunner - http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ld-thread.html

Last edited by AssBurns; 09-13-2016 at 11:34 PM.
AssBurns is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 06:39 AM #7
FreshSeabass's Avatar
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
FreshSeabass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AssBurns View Post
I'm running 255/70 and they are plenty soft with the used LC80 8.5 wraps. I would go at least 255/70 especially if you have any weight it the rear. I lowered mine from 250psi down to about 200psi. With too much weight they bottom out easy at that pressure. At 250psi they are fine with heavier loads though but not crazy stiff. I also didn't have to extend my bump stops because of the way I mounted them so I have more up travel than what you would have if you mount them in stock location. I would forsure go at 255/70 or even 360/80 if you want them a little stiffer or you have more weight in the rear (bumpers, spare tire, a bunch of tools, etc)
FINALLY!! Thanks for the input, I am building my own tube swingout tire carrier on an addicted Offroad tube rear bumper, 33x12.5 KM2, misc tools, 1st gen roll bar and cargo drawers so I am leaning towards 360/80. Also, I would like to run either OME 851's or 861's depending on how much weight I add up so, I don't think spitting a coil would be a problem I would encounter. Did you run the common frame mount, upper shock stud mount when you relocated? I've wanted to do this for a while in order to not have to struggle in a scenario where I'm reaching for that shock stud. I am also wanting to evenly distribute the weight on the shocks so a linear setup would be ideal.
__________________
1996 4Runner - 3RZ - 5 Speed| Lot's of stuff done to it that everyone said would never work... and it works. | Bilstein | Superwinch| Marlin Crawler| Dirt King| The list goes on...
FreshSeabass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 09:37 AM #8
AssBurns's Avatar
AssBurns AssBurns is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Yucaipa, CA
Posts: 991
Real Name: Steven
AssBurns is on a distinguished road
AssBurns AssBurns is offline
Member
AssBurns's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Yucaipa, CA
Posts: 991
Real Name: Steven
AssBurns is on a distinguished road
Here is my build thread if you want to check out how I relocated my rear shock mounts. AssBurns 2000 Limited Build Thread


Here is the thread I started when I was trying to figure out the best way to go with this project. Raise rear shock mounts


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
__________________
The BeerRunner - http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ld-thread.html
AssBurns is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:19 AM #9
JayRolla's Avatar
JayRolla JayRolla is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CO
Posts: 6,015
JayRolla will become famous soon enough
JayRolla JayRolla is offline
Elite Member
JayRolla's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: CO
Posts: 6,015
JayRolla will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshSeabass View Post
FINALLY!! Thanks for the input, I am building my own tube swingout tire carrier on an addicted Offroad tube rear bumper, 33x12.5 KM2, misc tools, 1st gen roll bar and cargo drawers so I am leaning towards 360/80. Also, I would like to run either OME 851's or 861's depending on how much weight I add up so, I don't think spitting a coil would be a problem I would encounter. Did you run the common frame mount, upper shock stud mount when you relocated? I've wanted to do this for a while in order to not have to struggle in a scenario where I'm reaching for that shock stud. I am also wanting to evenly distribute the weight on the shocks so a linear setup would be ideal.
I thought those OME coils give land cruisers 2.5" rear lift and installed on our rigs can give 5-6" lift. So you're likely to actually spit a coil if not bumped correctly or am I mistaken?
__________________
1996 Toyota 4runner Limited - 4" Lift, 33's, AOR Bumper w/winch
1990 Eagle Talon Tsi- E316G @ 32psi E85 Tuned, 272 cams, ECMlink v3.0, 405whp - Gave back to Brother
2012 Toyota Tacoma DCSB - Stock on 32's- Wifes
2004 Cadillac CTS-V - 5.7L LS6 v8, 6-speed 400hp/400tq - My new DD
http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...read-pics.html
JayRolla is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 10:03 PM #10
FreshSeabass's Avatar
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
FreshSeabass FreshSeabass is offline
Member
FreshSeabass's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: North Georgia, Appalachia
Posts: 177
FreshSeabass is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayRolla View Post
I thought those OME coils give land cruisers 2.5" rear lift and installed on our rigs can give 5-6" lift. So you're likely to actually spit a coil if not bumped correctly or am I mistaken?
Correct! I'm looking to extend my bump stops 3.5" and if my math is correct, I should have about 1 1/4 shock stanchion left at full bump. I am also running close to 400lbs at all times hence the heavy a** coils.
__________________
1996 4Runner - 3RZ - 5 Speed| Lot's of stuff done to it that everyone said would never work... and it works. | Bilstein | Superwinch| Marlin Crawler| Dirt King| The list goes on...
FreshSeabass is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 10:07 PM #11
RomanSchnobrich RomanSchnobrich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Age: 21
Posts: 31
Real Name: Roman Schnobrich
RomanSchnobrich is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
RomanSchnobrich RomanSchnobrich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Age: 21
Posts: 31
Real Name: Roman Schnobrich
RomanSchnobrich is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
5160s Experience

For anyone else curious about Bilstein's 5160 rear remote reservoir shocks, I'm happy to share my experience so far. I recently noticed my OMEs squeaking obnoxiously over even the smallest bumps, and didn't seem to ride correctly after just 18 months of use. I started looking around at fancy rear shocks and quickly drooled over Icons, Kings, and Foxes, knowing damn well they're outta my price range. I stumbled upon the 5160s and was super interested right way but couldn't find any reviews on any forums or pages for them when applied to a 3rd gen. I went out on a limb and ordered a pair from Wheelers Offroad for about $400. Two months in and I couldn't be happier with them. I haven't been to Moab nor do I flex on a daily basis, but for a daily driver that sees trails and rough roads a few times a week, the 5160s have kicked ass so far.
RomanSchnobrich is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 01:42 AM #12
Laith604 Laith604 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 4
Laith604 is on a distinguished road
Laith604 Laith604 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 4
Laith604 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanSchnobrich View Post
For anyone else curious about Bilstein's 5160 rear remote reservoir shocks, I'm happy to share my experience so far. I recently noticed my OMEs squeaking obnoxiously over even the smallest bumps, and didn't seem to ride correctly after just 18 months of use. I started looking around at fancy rear shocks and quickly drooled over Icons, Kings, and Foxes, knowing damn well they're outta my price range. I stumbled upon the 5160s and was super interested right way but couldn't find any reviews on any forums or pages for them when applied to a 3rd gen. I went out on a limb and ordered a pair from Wheelers Offroad for about $400. Two months in and I couldn't be happier with them. I haven't been to Moab nor do I flex on a daily basis, but for a daily driver that sees trails and rough roads a few times a week, the 5160s have kicked ass so far.
Just what i've been looking for! Which coils do you run with these?
Laith604 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 06:35 PM #13
RomanSchnobrich RomanSchnobrich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Age: 21
Posts: 31
Real Name: Roman Schnobrich
RomanSchnobrich is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
RomanSchnobrich RomanSchnobrich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Age: 21
Posts: 31
Real Name: Roman Schnobrich
RomanSchnobrich is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
Glad I could I help! I'm using the 5160s with OME 2890s, which are for a medium load. I typically carry around 100 lbs of camping and recovery gear and it's around 3.5" with that load.
RomanSchnobrich is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 08:00 PM #14
repo repo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 653
repo will become famous soon enough
repo repo is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Omaha
Posts: 653
repo will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanSchnobrich View Post
Glad I could I help! I'm using the 5160s with OME 2890s, which are for a medium load. I typically carry around 100 lbs of camping and recovery gear and it's around 3.5" with that load.
Did you use the longer 4th gen 5160?
__________________
99 SR5 v6 4WD
11 SR5 v6 4WD
repo is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-12-2019, 09:44 PM #15
RomanSchnobrich RomanSchnobrich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Age: 21
Posts: 31
Real Name: Roman Schnobrich
RomanSchnobrich is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
RomanSchnobrich RomanSchnobrich is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bozeman, Montana
Age: 21
Posts: 31
Real Name: Roman Schnobrich
RomanSchnobrich is on a distinguished road
MY GARAGE
Nope, I used the ones designed for 3rd gens. I know it's nowhere near ideal as they're not designed for that much lift, but I've never cared much about achieving maximum flex.
Bilstein 5160 Remote Reservoir Rear Shock Set for 96-02 4Runner (25-268362 / 25-268379)
RomanSchnobrich is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Radflo 2.5 W/Remote Resi JMG73072 5th gen T4Rs 3 02-03-2016 04:17 PM
Mounting Icon remote resi's Illestreker 4th Gen T4Rs 17 11-28-2015 09:37 PM
FS:10" Fox Shocks with Remote Resi, CA, $300 drakekelch For Sale: Suspension/Wheels/Tires 0 06-25-2013 11:53 PM
Fox vs King remote resi coilovers Foosmatrix 4th Gen T4Rs 4 11-29-2010 06:29 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.