User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-19-2016, 12:21 PM #1
Rock_Rat's Avatar
Rock_Rat Rock_Rat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cowlitz County, Washington
Posts: 1,773
Real Name: Mike
Rock_Rat is on a distinguished road
Rock_Rat Rock_Rat is offline
Senior Member
Rock_Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cowlitz County, Washington
Posts: 1,773
Real Name: Mike
Rock_Rat is on a distinguished road
Replace Fuel Pump - Drop Fuel Tank?

Quick question...Is there any way to replace the fuel pump without completely dropping the tank? So far it looks pretty straight forward with the tank removed. Thanks!! I've seen a few comments on here mentioning no need to remove tank.

Yes...I've done my due diligence and searched the site. @the great him has a good DIY with pics.
__________________
2001 Imperial Jade Gold Letter Sport Package - Original Owner


Rock_Rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:28 PM #2
Sean K.'s Avatar
Sean K. Sean K. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: AZ
Posts: 749
Sean K. is on a distinguished road
Sean K. Sean K. is offline
Member
Sean K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: AZ
Posts: 749
Sean K. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Rat View Post
Quick question...Is there any way to replace the fuel pump without completely dropping the tank? So far it looks pretty straight forward with the tank removed. Thanks!! I've seen a few comments on here mentioning no need to remove tank.

Yes...I've done my due diligence and searched the site. @the great him has a good DIY with pics.
You have to drop it unless you cut an access hole in your floor. Careful...there's a connector on the top that must be unplugged after folding the rear seat forward and pulling up the carpet. Lots of guys miss this, try to drop the tank and rip that connector out.
Sean K. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 12:38 PM #3
alumarine alumarine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 675
alumarine will become famous soon enough
alumarine alumarine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 675
alumarine will become famous soon enough
So unlike the 2cnd gens there isn't an access plate under the rear seat that allows you to change the pump?
__________________
2000 4runner 4wd Auto V6 - Tru-Cool LPD4454 trans cooler in series
1991 4runner 4wd Auto V6
1990 4runner 4wd Auto V6
alumarine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:04 PM #4
Paperjam's Avatar
Paperjam Paperjam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 140
Real Name: Alex
Paperjam is on a distinguished road
Paperjam Paperjam is offline
Member
Paperjam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Calgary, AB
Posts: 140
Real Name: Alex
Paperjam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumarine View Post
So unlike the 2cnd gens there isn't an access plate under the rear seat that allows you to change the pump?
There is an access hole but you physically cant remove the pump through it. Its an easy tank to drop anyways. I can have it out in <30mins or so.
__________________
1998 T4R, 2.7 4wd/5spd swap build thread
Paperjam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:07 PM #5
Sean K.'s Avatar
Sean K. Sean K. is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: AZ
Posts: 749
Sean K. is on a distinguished road
Sean K. Sean K. is offline
Member
Sean K.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: AZ
Posts: 749
Sean K. is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by alumarine View Post
So unlike the 2cnd gens there isn't an access plate under the rear seat that allows you to change the pump?
There's an access hole...and it's fairly big, but it's just for the tiny plug (Makes no sense). The hole isn't big enough to change the pump though.
Sean K. is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 01:22 PM #6
Rock_Rat's Avatar
Rock_Rat Rock_Rat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cowlitz County, Washington
Posts: 1,773
Real Name: Mike
Rock_Rat is on a distinguished road
Rock_Rat Rock_Rat is offline
Senior Member
Rock_Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cowlitz County, Washington
Posts: 1,773
Real Name: Mike
Rock_Rat is on a distinguished road
Thanks guys. That's what I thought. No plans to cut a hole in the floor. Great weekend project along with a few other things.
__________________
2001 Imperial Jade Gold Letter Sport Package - Original Owner


Rock_Rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 03:12 PM #7
fourfive's Avatar
fourfive fourfive is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 1,240
fourfive will become famous soon enough fourfive will become famous soon enough
fourfive fourfive is offline
Senior Member
fourfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 1,240
fourfive will become famous soon enough fourfive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Rat View Post
Thanks guys. That's what I thought. No plans to cut a hole in the floor. Great weekend project along with a few other things.
I'm with you man. I'll be replacing a few more gas tank parts along with the fuel pump but my parts won't be coming in until Tuesday. It'll probably be the friday after thanksgiving when I'll have time to replace my parts. I was wondering if the tank could be partially lowered to do the job but for the sake of having complete access to the top of the tank I thought completely removing it would be best.

Are you just replacing the fuel pump or anything else on the tank?

Were you having any symptoms leading to replacing your fuel pump?

Which fuel pump or parts did you end up going with?

I highly recommend doing one of your awesome write ups with some sweet pics and posting it before next friday...
__________________
•Black 2002 SR5 4x4 3.4L V6
Suspension: Front: Toytec Boss coilovers/eibach 600#, SPC UCA, durobumps Rear: Bilstein/Superflex, SS adjustable panhard, durobumps Body Lift: 2" 4crawler Tires: 315/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Wheels: SCS F5 Matte black 16x8 3.5bs Armor: Custom bolt on rock sliders (no frame drilling)
•Black 2018 TRD Pro (wife’s)
Armor: Custom bolt on rock sliders (U-bolts)
fourfive is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 03:25 AM #8
Rock_Rat's Avatar
Rock_Rat Rock_Rat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cowlitz County, Washington
Posts: 1,773
Real Name: Mike
Rock_Rat is on a distinguished road
Rock_Rat Rock_Rat is offline
Senior Member
Rock_Rat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Cowlitz County, Washington
Posts: 1,773
Real Name: Mike
Rock_Rat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourfive View Post
I'm with you man. I'll be replacing a few more gas tank parts along with the fuel pump but my parts won't be coming in until Tuesday. It'll probably be the friday after thanksgiving when I'll have time to replace my parts. I was wondering if the tank could be partially lowered to do the job but for the sake of having complete access to the top of the tank I thought completely removing it would be best.

Are you just replacing the fuel pump or anything else on the tank?

Were you having any symptoms leading to replacing your fuel pump?

Which fuel pump or parts did you end up going with?

I highly recommend doing one of your awesome write ups with some sweet pics and posting it before next friday...
Sorry I won't be much help here. No write ups before Friday and no "heavy" maintenance on Friday. Pretty sacred day with the Apple Cup.

I don't have any problems with my fuel pump. I'm just replacing the OEM pump with a larger volume pump. It's a Denso but it's from a Mitsubuishi Evo 8. This is just to support the SC once it's installed. I'm waiting on a new 2.2 pulley which is on back order.

The Great Him did a pretty good write up on the tank removal. I have a link in post #1.
__________________
2001 Imperial Jade Gold Letter Sport Package - Original Owner


Rock_Rat is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-21-2016, 06:40 AM #9
fourfive's Avatar
fourfive fourfive is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 1,240
fourfive will become famous soon enough fourfive will become famous soon enough
fourfive fourfive is offline
Senior Member
fourfive's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Marietta, Georgia
Posts: 1,240
fourfive will become famous soon enough fourfive will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock_Rat View Post
Sorry I won't be much help here. No write ups before Friday and no "heavy" maintenance on Friday. Pretty sacred day with the Apple Cup.

I don't have any problems with my fuel pump. I'm just replacing the OEM pump with a larger volume pump. It's a Denso but it's from a Mitsubuishi Evo 8. This is just to support the SC once it's installed. I'm waiting on a new 2.2 pulley which is on back order.

The Great Him did a pretty good write up on the tank removal. I have a link in post #1.
I've gone through a couple write ups, was partly giving you a hard time but you do have some very good write ups. The sc will be sweet man. Interested in your feedback once everything is complete.
__________________
•Black 2002 SR5 4x4 3.4L V6
Suspension: Front: Toytec Boss coilovers/eibach 600#, SPC UCA, durobumps Rear: Bilstein/Superflex, SS adjustable panhard, durobumps Body Lift: 2" 4crawler Tires: 315/75/16 General Grabber AT2 Wheels: SCS F5 Matte black 16x8 3.5bs Armor: Custom bolt on rock sliders (no frame drilling)
•Black 2018 TRD Pro (wife’s)
Armor: Custom bolt on rock sliders (U-bolts)
fourfive is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Gas leak around fuel pump on top of gas tank TeamUSA 3rd gen T4Rs 5 07-09-2015 08:51 AM
Fuel Tank Replace Questions!! Opinions please!! 004wd 3rd gen T4Rs 6 04-27-2015 11:47 PM
Looking for gas tank with fuel pump and sending unit Reggie Want to Buy/Trade 0 10-20-2013 08:08 AM
URGENT! Need help with Fuel Pump/Tank removal Zonly1 4th Gen T4Rs 4 05-12-2012 12:15 AM
Fuel pump whining. Clogged fuel filter or bad pump? Shawn5800 3rd gen T4Rs 3 04-18-2011 02:08 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:32 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020