User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-27-2018, 01:39 AM #1
Mark_BC's Avatar
Mark_BC Mark_BC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,636
Real Name: Just call me the Grease Monkey
Mark_BC will become famous soon enough
Mark_BC Mark_BC is offline
Senior Member
Mark_BC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: North Vancouver, BC
Posts: 1,636
Real Name: Just call me the Grease Monkey
Mark_BC will become famous soon enough
Thinking of buying a parts truck, or swap good parts and re-sell it

Tonight I looked at a 2.7 L automatic, '97 with 4WD, no locker. Manual windows. Everything worked. But it is from Quebec and pretty rusted underneath. The frame has completely rusted through in one area beside the gas tank. Everywhere else underneath is rusty but it doesn't look rotted through.



Interior is pretty nice. For some reason the body is almost pristine, not sure why. Rocker panels are good. Maybe because they undercoated the underside with rust"proof" coating which just makes it rust even worse because it traps the moisture and salt in there forever... (which is why I stay away from monstaliner and bedliner type coatings)

Here is the ad:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/...623954838.html









170,000 km which is like 100,00 miles.

The transfer case is slowly dripping oil, looks like through the driveshaft seal, not sure.

The coolant reservoir was empty, the radiator was almost full with disgusting brown gunk. Added water, took it for a drive up a hill and it didn't overheat.

Pulls to the right, probably just needs an alignment. Brakes don't seem very grabby, they will need some work.

The reason I want it is for the nice rear lift gate, the same colour and year as my mom's that is rusting at the wiper mount for some reason. A tricky place to repair, so I could instead just swap it out. Here is a pic of my mom's where you can see the rust at the wiper mount. That location is a bear to get to and the metal has rusted pretty thin there.



What I could do with this one is weld up the rotten part of the frame and fix a few issues and sell it for what I buy it for, or more.

Nice steering wheel I could swap out.

Is $2000 too much? Seems a bit steep considering the likely cooling system problems. Maybe I should offer $1500.
__________________
My Snow and Sand build thread

Mark_BC's 2000 Limited Salvage Build

Determined to keep them from becoming parts trucks. Yes, even the one I just picked up as a parts truck...
Mark_BC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:12 AM #2
T4R2014's Avatar
T4R2014 T4R2014 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Still figuring that out...
Posts: 4,705
T4R2014 is just really nice T4R2014 is just really nice T4R2014 is just really nice T4R2014 is just really nice T4R2014 is just really nice
T4R2014 T4R2014 is offline
Senior Member
T4R2014's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Still figuring that out...
Posts: 4,705
T4R2014 is just really nice T4R2014 is just really nice T4R2014 is just really nice T4R2014 is just really nice T4R2014 is just really nice
Rare but I'd pass. There's another Evergreen truck bound to pop up. Plus that steering wheel is the cheap rubber base model one.
T4R2014 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 07:13 AM #3
tvpierce's Avatar
tvpierce tvpierce is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Maine
Posts: 304
tvpierce will become famous soon enough
tvpierce tvpierce is offline
Member
tvpierce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Maine
Posts: 304
tvpierce will become famous soon enough
Check the ATF. Brown in the radiator could be coolant mixed with oil -- which would give you a pink milkshake in the tranny.

If you could get it for $1000, you might do alright parting it out, but that's a lot of work. Personally, I wouldn't feel right patching that frame and selling it. Not worth the bad karma... or carma as the case may be. See what I did there?
tvpierce is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 08:07 AM #4
dogtail's Avatar
dogtail dogtail is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 620
Real Name: Keith
dogtail has a spectacular aura about dogtail has a spectacular aura about
dogtail dogtail is offline
Member
dogtail's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 620
Real Name: Keith
dogtail has a spectacular aura about dogtail has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
Tonight I looked at a 2.7 L automatic, '97 with 4WD, no locker. Manual windows. Everything worked. But it is from Quebec and pretty rusted underneath. The frame has completely rusted through in one area beside the gas tank. Everywhere else underneath is rusty but it doesn't look rotted through.



Interior is pretty nice. For some reason the body is almost pristine, not sure why. Rocker panels are good. Maybe because they undercoated the underside with rust"proof" coating which just makes it rust even worse because it traps the moisture and salt in there forever... (which is why I stay away from monstaliner and bedliner type coatings)

Here is the ad:

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/bnc/...623954838.html









170,000 km which is like 100,00 miles.

The transfer case is slowly dripping oil, looks like through the driveshaft seal, not sure.

The coolant reservoir was empty, the radiator was almost full with disgusting brown gunk. Added water, took it for a drive up a hill and it didn't overheat.

Pulls to the right, probably just needs an alignment. Brakes don't seem very grabby, they will need some work.

The reason I want it is for the nice rear lift gate, the same colour and year as my mom's that is rusting at the wiper mount for some reason. A tricky place to repair, so I could instead just swap it out. Here is a pic of my mom's where you can see the rust at the wiper mount. That location is a bear to get to and the metal has rusted pretty thin there.



What I could do with this one is weld up the rotten part of the frame and fix a few issues and sell it for what I buy it for, or more.

Nice steering wheel I could swap out.

Is $2000 too much? Seems a bit steep considering the likely cooling system problems. Maybe I should offer $1500.
That rig should never see the road again, with frame that bad its thin in a lot of other spots that are not visible. Only 100K on the clock is nice for parts, but 4 cyl. We get parts rigs like that in Massachusetts for $500 and less.
dogtail is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 01:18 PM #5
Scramble's Avatar
Scramble Scramble is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 5,700
Real Name: Scramble
Scramble will become famous soon enough Scramble will become famous soon enough
Scramble Scramble is offline
Elite Member
Scramble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Monroe, NY
Posts: 5,700
Real Name: Scramble
Scramble will become famous soon enough Scramble will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4R2014 View Post
Rare but I'd pass. There's another Evergreen truck bound to pop up. Plus that steering wheel is the cheap rubber base model one.
And those steering wheels look the best & last the longest.

OP: It's not a driveable vehicle. I'd give him $500. No more.
__________________
____________

'99 4Runner - 2.7L 3RZ, 5 Speed, 4.56 Gears - Lifted, Locked & Loaded - 166k Original owner - http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ld-thread.html
'99 Limited - E-Locker- Stock (for now) - 233k 2nd Owner http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-ge...ted-build.html
Scramble is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:09 PM #6
gamefreakgc's Avatar
gamefreakgc gamefreakgc is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Posts: 5,794
Real Name: Jerod
gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light
gamefreakgc gamefreakgc is offline
Elite Member
gamefreakgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Posts: 5,794
Real Name: Jerod
gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scramble View Post
And those steering wheels look the best & last the longest.

OP: It's not a driveable vehicle. I'd give him $500. No more.
Agreed. Even here in CA non-drivable vehicles rarely sell for north of $1000. And that's with no rust.
__________________
'98 4Runner SR5 - 4x4 5VZ-FE Supercharged - 222k miles, JDM engine @ 221k

AEM F/IC 6 Piggyback, 2.1" pulley at 11 PSI, Go-Fast Parts
Jerod's Supercharged T[u]RD Build
gamefreakgc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FS: '01 4Runner parts from parts truck, $Vary, Chesapeake VA robb1887 For Sale: T4R Items 98 08-02-2017 10:33 AM
thinking of buying a 5vz-fe for a swap on ebay..... 10ac Classic T4Rs 3 03-24-2017 03:19 AM
4Wheel Parts Truck, SUV and Jeep Fest Good or Bad? cd121082 General Discussions 0 03-25-2014 08:40 PM
Thinking out loud about parts swap... BucknutBob Classic T4Rs 17 09-05-2013 12:01 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020