User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-19-2019, 08:50 PM #1
mack10 mack10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Belleville, ON
Posts: 29
mack10 is on a distinguished road
mack10 mack10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Belleville, ON
Posts: 29
mack10 is on a distinguished road
diagnosing brake issue pulling to right - high heat on left caliper

Getting around to figuring this out...

While driving the truck has a slight tendency to track right, so this led to me to think alignment was off. Under hard brake it pulls quite a bit to the right. After reading the various similar problem threads I took a harder look at the brakes.

All tires inflated to 40PSI as per the tire specs.

Temp gun probably best troubleshooting tool for this, anyone else having this problem should take one on a test drive and do a few passes and record the results.

In doing the temp based tests, after driving for a couple miles, it didn't appear the left or right fronts had any significant difference maybe a couple degrees higher on left. Rears fine. Pulling the parking brake while driving slowed the truck evenly, no pull to either side.

What was suspect is the temp of the left side after heavy braking. It would be about 100 degrees C while the right about 50-75C. But pulling hard to right..

I pulled the right caliper today and did a full rebuild, greased sliders, bled the system, but problem persisted after a quick test drive. The caliper did have rust in the cylinders and it appeared that the outer pistons were not working well at all. After all that seems like I should have started with the left instead..

So does the extreme heat buildup of left side mean that some pressure is being applied, but not alot, causing a quick ramp up in the temp as the pads drag and the other side does the actual braking? Really hoping that is the case and I will be able to rebuild that one tomorrow. Seems logical but these problems really are multi-faceted...

Have new LBJs (OEM), UBJs, tie rod ends and sway bar end links, swaybar bushings about 20k miles ago so don't suspect those and the high heat of the left caliper rules those out. There is also no rattling, clunking or shaking of the steering wheel.

Any other thoughts on this one?
mack10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:33 PM #2
JRZEE2000TR4LTD's Avatar
JRZEE2000TR4LTD JRZEE2000TR4LTD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Jersey
Age: 52
Posts: 1,872
Real Name: John
JRZEE2000TR4LTD will become famous soon enough
JRZEE2000TR4LTD JRZEE2000TR4LTD is offline
Senior Member
JRZEE2000TR4LTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Jersey
Age: 52
Posts: 1,872
Real Name: John
JRZEE2000TR4LTD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack10 View Post
Getting around to figuring this out...

While driving the truck has a slight tendency to track right, so this led to me to think alignment was off. Under hard brake it pulls quite a bit to the right. After reading the various similar problem threads I took a harder look at the brakes.

All tires inflated to 40PSI as per the tire specs.

Temp gun probably best troubleshooting tool for this, anyone else having this problem should take one on a test drive and do a few passes and record the results.

In doing the temp based tests, after driving for a couple miles, it didn't appear the left or right fronts had any significant difference maybe a couple degrees higher on left. Rears fine. Pulling the parking brake while driving slowed the truck evenly, no pull to either side.

What was suspect is the temp of the left side after heavy braking. It would be about 100 degrees C while the right about 50-75C. But pulling hard to right..

I pulled the right caliper today and did a full rebuild, greased sliders, bled the system, but problem persisted after a quick test drive. The caliper did have rust in the cylinders and it appeared that the outer pistons were not working well at all. After all that seems like I should have started with the left instead..

So does the extreme heat buildup of left side mean that some pressure is being applied, but not alot, causing a quick ramp up in the temp as the pads drag and the other side does the actual braking? Really hoping that is the case and I will be able to rebuild that one tomorrow. Seems logical but these problems really are multi-faceted...

Have new LBJs (OEM), UBJs, tie rod ends and sway bar end links, swaybar bushings about 20k miles ago so don't suspect those and the high heat of the left caliper rules those out. There is also no rattling, clunking or shaking of the steering wheel.

Any other thoughts on this one?
I've had 2 dragging calipers on my 1st truck. Put 199s on my second. Rebuilt both with OEM kits and pistons. Lightly honed the piston bores. The passenger side caliper started to drag. Took it apart and clean it all up. Started to drag again about 6 months later. Had enough and just replaced the caliper. I HATE working on thing twice, let alone 3x.
__________________
SILVER 2000 4runner Limited TOTALED
WHITE/SILVER 1999 4runner Limited l Rear Locker l Tundra/890 coils | 5100 Bilsteins all around | Sonoran Steel Bumpstops l 199 mm Tundra brake upgrade | SCS Matte Gray Ray10 Rims | 275 70 17 BFG KO2 tires | LR UCAs | EIMKEITH panhard brackets | LED interior upgrade l Rear LED tailights l Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS Alpine Type "R" speakers NVX JAD800.4 Class D Amp Kenwood Under seat Subwoofer l Front window tint 20% l Weathertech window visors and floormats l OutGear Solutions Full Length roofrack l Morimoto 40" LED lightbar
JRZEE2000TR4LTD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 09:58 PM #3
mack10 mack10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Belleville, ON
Posts: 29
mack10 is on a distinguished road
mack10 mack10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Belleville, ON
Posts: 29
mack10 is on a distinguished road
Forgot to mention.. the calipers, rotors and pads were new 20k miles ago as well.

Seems like the culprit is weak seals that allow moisture to sit and build rust which eventually fouls the bores. I didn't do the install, but I am seeing that the brakes need more than cursory attention if you want to avoid these headaches. Greasing the outer seals would help a bit as well as more regular maintenance/inspection. First I tried greasing the inner boot lightly as well but found it made getting the retaining ring on a hell of a lot harder, as it kept sliding off. Overall - PITA.
mack10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 10:10 PM #4
JRZEE2000TR4LTD's Avatar
JRZEE2000TR4LTD JRZEE2000TR4LTD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Jersey
Age: 52
Posts: 1,872
Real Name: John
JRZEE2000TR4LTD will become famous soon enough
JRZEE2000TR4LTD JRZEE2000TR4LTD is offline
Senior Member
JRZEE2000TR4LTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Jersey
Age: 52
Posts: 1,872
Real Name: John
JRZEE2000TR4LTD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack10 View Post
Forgot to mention.. the calipers, rotors and pads were new 20k miles ago as well.

Seems like the culprit is weak seals that allow moisture to sit and build rust which eventually fouls the bores. I didn't do the install, but I am seeing that the brakes need more than cursory attention if you want to avoid these headaches. Greasing the outer seals would help a bit as well as more regular maintenance/inspection. First I tried greasing the inner boot lightly as well but found it made getting the retaining ring on a hell of a lot harder, as it kept sliding off. Overall - PITA.
Yes, same thing I saw. Tried the grease thing with the same result. I ended up painting right up to the edge. Same result 6 months later. We'll see how this caliper holds up.
__________________
SILVER 2000 4runner Limited TOTALED
WHITE/SILVER 1999 4runner Limited l Rear Locker l Tundra/890 coils | 5100 Bilsteins all around | Sonoran Steel Bumpstops l 199 mm Tundra brake upgrade | SCS Matte Gray Ray10 Rims | 275 70 17 BFG KO2 tires | LR UCAs | EIMKEITH panhard brackets | LED interior upgrade l Rear LED tailights l Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS Alpine Type "R" speakers NVX JAD800.4 Class D Amp Kenwood Under seat Subwoofer l Front window tint 20% l Weathertech window visors and floormats l OutGear Solutions Full Length roofrack l Morimoto 40" LED lightbar
JRZEE2000TR4LTD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:45 AM #5
MaineRunna's Avatar
MaineRunna MaineRunna is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Eliot, Maine USA
Posts: 190
Real Name: Mike
MaineRunna will become famous soon enough
MY GARAGE
MaineRunna MaineRunna is offline
Member
MaineRunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Eliot, Maine USA
Posts: 190
Real Name: Mike
MaineRunna will become famous soon enough
MY GARAGE
Your left front caliper is seized up, the right is doing all the work and the left is just kind of dragging. Get a Napa Eclipse caliper, they are powdercoated black. (it's still a Cardone caliper though)
__________________

98 SR5 4X4 5spd, desert dune metallic, Toytech Eibach 3" lift, 1" body lift, 4XInnovations bumpers, Doug Thorely Headers, Magna-flow converter, RCI skid plate, SPC UCA's & rear LCA's, Tundra brakes, BFG 255/85R16 Mud Terrain T/A's 224,000 miles
MaineRunna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:27 PM #6
mack10 mack10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Belleville, ON
Posts: 29
mack10 is on a distinguished road
mack10 mack10 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Belleville, ON
Posts: 29
mack10 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineRunna View Post
Your left front caliper is seized up, the right is doing all the work and the left is just kind of dragging. Get a Napa Eclipse caliper, they are powdercoated black. (it's still a Cardone caliper though)
It definitely was, the sliders were rusted pretty badly. However the cylinders still worked after I removed the pads and threw in some plywood so they wouldn't pop out. Enough to crush the plywood after a couple pumps. Instead of taking it all apart I cleaned up the pins lubed everything and put it back together. Still have the same problem though so I'll probably get a set of the NAPA calipers. There's also quite a big difference in pad material left vs right, even if the caliper was working fine (now) would the difference in the pad thickness still cause this? I drove it around quite a bit and tried to bed in the left side but it didn't seem to improve... If I get new calipers I'll have to get pads anyway.
mack10 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 09:46 PM #7
JRZEE2000TR4LTD's Avatar
JRZEE2000TR4LTD JRZEE2000TR4LTD is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Jersey
Age: 52
Posts: 1,872
Real Name: John
JRZEE2000TR4LTD will become famous soon enough
JRZEE2000TR4LTD JRZEE2000TR4LTD is offline
Senior Member
JRZEE2000TR4LTD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: New Jersey
Age: 52
Posts: 1,872
Real Name: John
JRZEE2000TR4LTD will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack10 View Post
It definitely was, the sliders were rusted pretty badly. However the cylinders still worked after I removed the pads and threw in some plywood so they wouldn't pop out. Enough to crush the plywood after a couple pumps. Instead of taking it all apart I cleaned up the pins lubed everything and put it back together. Still have the same problem though so I'll probably get a set of the NAPA calipers. There's also quite a big difference in pad material left vs right, even if the caliper was working fine (now) would the difference in the pad thickness still cause this? I drove it around quite a bit and tried to bed in the left side but it didn't seem to improve... If I get new calipers I'll have to get pads anyway.

The difference in pad thickness is a result of the caliper dragging. Those pin sliders really don't restrict anything. Not like my old Exploder. Get some calipers and pads and go from there and get out from underneath that truck. I'm sure you have better things to do.
__________________
SILVER 2000 4runner Limited TOTALED
WHITE/SILVER 1999 4runner Limited l Rear Locker l Tundra/890 coils | 5100 Bilsteins all around | Sonoran Steel Bumpstops l 199 mm Tundra brake upgrade | SCS Matte Gray Ray10 Rims | 275 70 17 BFG KO2 tires | LR UCAs | EIMKEITH panhard brackets | LED interior upgrade l Rear LED tailights l Pioneer AVH-X5700BHS Alpine Type "R" speakers NVX JAD800.4 Class D Amp Kenwood Under seat Subwoofer l Front window tint 20% l Weathertech window visors and floormats l OutGear Solutions Full Length roofrack l Morimoto 40" LED lightbar
JRZEE2000TR4LTD is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 12:45 AM #8
timmytimtim timmytimtim is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas, USofA
Posts: 14
Real Name: TimmyTimTim
timmytimtim is on a distinguished road
timmytimtim timmytimtim is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Carolinas, USofA
Posts: 14
Real Name: TimmyTimTim
timmytimtim is on a distinguished road
If you're thinking about replacing calipers, watch this guy's video which touches on 2 suggestions I'd have for you: YouTube

1) Commit to the Tundra brake upgrade, which gives you more brake pad surface area (Hard to find Specs, Info & Measurements on 231mm 13WL Tundra Calipers & Rotors - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum) - I have the calipers marked 13WL and can agree with everything on that linked thread. They are a direct bolt-in, and if you are looking to replace calipers and pads anyway, you could go ahead and make this replacement session an upgrade session with the addition of new rotors.

2) Rebuild your calipers. A few months ago I was having the same issue of one caliper not wanting to compress. The seals were shot, so they weren't doing their job of keeping dirt/grime out. Instead of replacing the calipers, I replaced all seals with what many call a "caliper rebuild kit." I've found them on dealership and Toyota parts sites called "overhaul kits" for front brakes.
I searched for 2000 Toyota 4Runner and its calling for Toyota part 04479-35040. I used 04479-0C020 for the 13WL Tundra brakes. Individual caliper pistons are available as well.
timmytimtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:58 AM #9
MaineRunna's Avatar
MaineRunna MaineRunna is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Eliot, Maine USA
Posts: 190
Real Name: Mike
MaineRunna will become famous soon enough
MY GARAGE
MaineRunna MaineRunna is offline
Member
MaineRunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Eliot, Maine USA
Posts: 190
Real Name: Mike
MaineRunna will become famous soon enough
MY GARAGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack10 View Post
It definitely was, the sliders were rusted pretty badly. However the cylinders still worked after I removed the pads and threw in some plywood so they wouldn't pop out. Enough to crush the plywood after a couple pumps. Instead of taking it all apart I cleaned up the pins lubed everything and put it back together. Still have the same problem though so I'll probably get a set of the NAPA calipers. There's also quite a big difference in pad material left vs right, even if the caliper was working fine (now) would the difference in the pad thickness still cause this? I drove it around quite a bit and tried to bed in the left side but it didn't seem to improve... If I get new calipers I'll have to get pads anyway.
If you're running oversized tires, have added a lot of weight (bumpers, winch, etc) or tow a lot go for the Tundra brake upgrade. Just buy pads, rotors and the 13WL calipers for a 2005 Tundra 4X4. If you are stock, then the stock brakes will do.
I did mine using Wagner rotors & Cardone calipers from Pep Boys and pads from Toyota after putting my bigger tires on with new, much heavier 4XInnovations bumpers and realizing that the Runna didn't want to stop. Almost puts me through the windshield now, big difference, highly recommend!
__________________

98 SR5 4X4 5spd, desert dune metallic, Toytech Eibach 3" lift, 1" body lift, 4XInnovations bumpers, Doug Thorely Headers, Magna-flow converter, RCI skid plate, SPC UCA's & rear LCA's, Tundra brakes, BFG 255/85R16 Mud Terrain T/A's 224,000 miles
MaineRunna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
brake , caliper , left , side , temp

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Brake caliper issue with new calipers? Rannd 4th Gen T4Rs 25 03-29-2018 08:51 PM
Weird Brake Issue After Caliper and Pad Change inscarguy 4th Gen T4Rs 24 09-01-2017 12:57 PM
I think I know Why It Was Pulling Left - Help Identifying sr3tlaw 4th Gen T4Rs 16 09-21-2015 05:45 PM
Pulling Left??? mmt 3rd gen T4Rs 1 11-06-2014 05:56 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:36 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.