User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-27-2019, 04:22 PM #1
zcostilla zcostilla is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: St Louis
Posts: 15
zcostilla is on a distinguished road
zcostilla zcostilla is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: St Louis
Posts: 15
zcostilla is on a distinguished road
Battery Drain

My son has a Ď97 4Runner Limited and just had the starter replaced last week. Battery was replaced a year ago. Now he has developed a new voltage drain and needs to jump it every morning to get it started. Autozone tested the battery twice, and alternator and they test good. He is in Brooklyn, NY for an internship for the summer and Iím not able to help him work on it. I did tell him to take it back to the mechanic that did the starter, but I don't know how reputable they are.

If anyone has any ideas I can pass along to him, it would be greatly appreciated.
zcostilla is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 05:15 PM #2
pokeyman pokeyman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: san mateo
Posts: 57
pokeyman is on a distinguished road
pokeyman pokeyman is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Location: san mateo
Posts: 57
pokeyman is on a distinguished road
It could be a short in the starter since it was just changed and it happened after the starter was installed.
pokeyman is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-27-2019, 07:38 PM #3
LittleCaesar's Avatar
LittleCaesar LittleCaesar is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OBX, NC and Obamaville
Posts: 6,463
LittleCaesar will become famous soon enough LittleCaesar will become famous soon enough
LittleCaesar LittleCaesar is offline
Elite Member
LittleCaesar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: OBX, NC and Obamaville
Posts: 6,463
LittleCaesar will become famous soon enough LittleCaesar will become famous soon enough
Check all the electrical connectors, especially the battery cables.
LittleCaesar is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2019, 11:40 AM #4
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 243
Toy2play is on a distinguished road
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 243
Toy2play is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcostilla View Post
My son has a ‘97 4Runner Limited and just had the starter replaced last week. Battery was replaced a year ago. Now he has developed a new voltage drain and needs to jump it every morning to get it started. Autozone tested the battery twice, and alternator and they test good. He is in Brooklyn, NY for an internship for the summer and I’m not able to help him work on it. I did tell him to take it back to the mechanic that did the starter, but I don't know how reputable they are.

If anyone has any ideas I can pass along to him, it would be greatly appreciated.
I just ran a parasitic draw test to find out if I was having similar issues. Learned a lot from it. You could try it to make sure it's in fact the starter. Get yourself a multimeter and turn it to DC Amp, either the 10 or 20 amp setting. Take the negative battery cable off the battery terminal. Take one of your multimeter probes and connect it to your negative battery cable, take your other probe and put it on the negative battery terminal. Now wait a few minutes while they are connected and if your reading is more than 50mA(.05 amps) then you have a parasitic draw. If you suspect the starter, pull the starter fuse and see if your reading drops on the multimeter. If it does drop then you know it's the starter. If it doesn't drop then something else is causing the issue then you can start pulling fuses and watching which fuse will drop the draw then you know it's on that circuit. Make sure when you run this test to make sure all doors are closed or you'll get a false reading. If you reading 0 then you are getting an incorrect reading and could be a blown fuse in the multimeter. This test wont work. Please read below a few comments for a better explanation by another member You need to make sure that you leave the probes on for a few minutes before you get a correct reading. Some cars can take 45 minutes before everything goes back to sleep after you have connected the probes. Make sure you have a fully charged battery when you run the test.

As an example, my 97 SR5 would read 60-70mA when I connected the probes, but then drop to a steady 20mA a couple minutes later. The limited edition may have more features and draw a tiny bit more power than the SR5. From my research, 20-40mA seems to be the norm for these 4runners.
__________________
97 Charged, lifted, armored, geared, locked SR5.

Last edited by Toy2play; 08-16-2019 at 04:42 PM.
Toy2play is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 06:00 PM #5
brillo_76's Avatar
brillo_76 brillo_76 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Western PA
Posts: 565
Real Name: Jon
brillo_76 has a spectacular aura about brillo_76 has a spectacular aura about
MY GARAGE
brillo_76 brillo_76 is offline
Member
brillo_76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Western PA
Posts: 565
Real Name: Jon
brillo_76 has a spectacular aura about brillo_76 has a spectacular aura about
MY GARAGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2play View Post
I just ran a parasitic draw test to find out if I was having similar issues. Learned a lot from it. You could try it to make sure it's in fact the starter. Get yourself a multimeter and turn it to DC Amp, either the 10 or 20 amp setting. Take the negative battery cable off the battery terminal. Take one of your multimeter probes and connect it to your negative battery cable, take your other probe and put it on the negative battery terminal. Now wait a few minutes while they are connected and if your reading is more than 50mA(.05 amps) then you have a parasitic draw. If you suspect the starter, pull the starter fuse and see if your reading drops on the multimeter. If it does drop then you know it's the starter. If it doesn't drop then something else is causing the issue then you can start pulling fuses and watching which fuse will drop the draw then you know it's on that circuit. Make sure when you run this test to make sure all doors are closed or you'll get a false reading. If you reading 0 then you are getting an incorrect reading and could be a blown fuse in the multimeter. You need to make sure that you leave the probes on for a few minutes before you get a correct reading. Some cars can take 45 minutes before everything goes back to sleep after you have connected the probes. Make sure you have a fully charged battery when you run the test.

As an example, my 97 SR5 would read 60-70mA when I connected the probes, but then drop to a steady 20mA a couple minutes later. The limited edition may have more features and draw a tiny bit more power than the SR5. From my research, 20-40mA seems to be the norm for these 4runners.

Toy is correct... That is how I test for shorts. Always best to use an amp meter and pull each fuse individually and watch for the current to drop. If the current stays constant then its not the fuse or that circuit. How much of a current draw do you have on this drain??
brillo_76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 03:17 AM #6
TheDurk's Avatar
TheDurk TheDurk is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,191
TheDurk is a jewel in the rough TheDurk is a jewel in the rough TheDurk is a jewel in the rough
MY GARAGE
TheDurk TheDurk is offline
Elite Member
TheDurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 7,191
TheDurk is a jewel in the rough TheDurk is a jewel in the rough TheDurk is a jewel in the rough
MY GARAGE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2play View Post
I just ran a parasitic draw test to find out if I was having similar issues. Learned a lot from it. You could try it to make sure it's in fact the starter. Get yourself a multimeter and turn it to DC Amp, either the 10 or 20 amp setting. Take the negative battery cable off the battery terminal. Take one of your multimeter probes and connect it to your negative battery cable, take your other probe and put it on the negative battery terminal. Now wait a few minutes while they are connected and if your reading is more than 50mA(.05 amps) then you have a parasitic draw. If you suspect the starter, pull the starter fuse and see if your reading drops on the multimeter. If it does drop then you know it's the starter. If it doesn't drop then something else is causing the issue then you can start pulling fuses and watching which fuse will drop the draw then you know it's on that circuit. Make sure when you run this test to make sure all doors are closed or you'll get a false reading. If you reading 0 then you are getting an incorrect reading and could be a blown fuse in the multimeter. You need to make sure that you leave the probes on for a few minutes before you get a correct reading. Some cars can take 45 minutes before everything goes back to sleep after you have connected the probes. Make sure you have a fully charged battery when you run the test.

As an example, my 97 SR5 would read 60-70mA when I connected the probes, but then drop to a steady 20mA a couple minutes later. The limited edition may have more features and draw a tiny bit more power than the SR5. From my research, 20-40mA seems to be the norm for these 4runners.
You were doing fine until you got to the bold. Thing is, the main starter power on our trucks, like most all vehicles, has no fuse. The fused circuit, to the solenoid, is only energized when the key is turned. The only key-off drain possible in that circuit is from the relay itself, so the way to test that is pull the relay. If the relay is working properly, no current can pass it unless the key is turned to the START position, so no current drain can occur when the car is off.

In general, a parasitic drain through the starter itself would be a very big surprise. If it ever happened, I doubt it would last long, as the tendency would be to lock up with the starter always running or lock up so that it would not run at all. The main current is just too large to enable a stable parasitic drain. If you can't find the leak through the fuse testing described, the alternator is the likely suspect.

Circuit diagram follows:

http://www.teamtoyota4x4.org/archivi...mci/013sis.pdf

It's for 2002, but the relevant parts are similar for all years.
__________________
'99 4Runner SR5 5spd 3.4L V6 4WD(U.S), original '99 Talls in front, OME 906s in back, Hella fogs, Trekmaster shocks in front, Billy in back, no running boards, FIAMM horns, Alpine sound, Michelin LTX M/S2's, owned since new.
'97 HiLux SW4 5spd 4WD(Japan model bought in Brazil assembled in Argentina, very close to a 3.0 4Runner/Surf)
'71 FordWillys Jeep CJ5 (with straight six Ford Maverick 3.0 liter engine--lives in the mountains north of Sao Paulo Brazil)
My Backyard Frame Swap
TheDurk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 04:37 PM #7
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 243
Toy2play is on a distinguished road
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 243
Toy2play is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDurk View Post
You were doing fine until you got to the bold. Thing is, the main starter power on our trucks, like most all vehicles, has no fuse. The fused circuit, to the solenoid, is only energized when the key is turned. The only key-off drain possible in that circuit is from the relay itself, so the way to test that is pull the relay. If the relay is working properly, no current can pass it unless the key is turned to the START position, so no current drain can occur when the car is off.

In general, a parasitic drain through the starter itself would be a very big surprise. If it ever happened, I doubt it would last long, as the tendency would be to lock up with the starter always running or lock up so that it would not run at all. The main current is just too large to enable a stable parasitic drain. If you can't find the leak through the fuse testing described, the alternator is the likely suspect.

Circuit diagram follows:

http://www.teamtoyota4x4.org/archivi...mci/013sis.pdf

It's for 2002, but the relevant parts are similar for all years.
Gotcha, thank you for the correction. Good to know, your explanation makes sense. I'll edit my original post.
__________________
97 Charged, lifted, armored, geared, locked SR5.
Toy2play is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 08:16 PM #8
BamaDrewski BamaDrewski is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: "Prattvegas" Alabama
Posts: 904
BamaDrewski is on a distinguished road
BamaDrewski BamaDrewski is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: "Prattvegas" Alabama
Posts: 904
BamaDrewski is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by zcostilla View Post
My son has a Ď97 4Runner Limited and just had the starter replaced last week. Battery was replaced a year ago. Now he has developed a new voltage drain and needs to jump it every morning to get it started. Autozone tested the battery twice, and alternator and they test good. He is in Brooklyn, NY for an internship for the summer and Iím not able to help him work on it. I did tell him to take it back to the mechanic that did the starter, but I don't know how reputable they are.

If anyone has any ideas I can pass along to him, it would be greatly appreciated.
I had the same issue. It turned out to be the Daytime Running Lights (DRL). I disconnected them and no problem since.
BamaDrewski is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
battery , drain , replaced , starter , summer

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery drain! Help! gbrunin 3rd gen T4Rs 8 04-10-2015 09:28 PM
Battery drain question rickl 5th gen T4Rs 19 09-23-2014 10:08 AM
Battery drain vicar 3rd gen T4Rs 2 08-09-2014 11:18 PM
Strange Battery Drain HELP dgoll75 3rd gen T4Rs 8 02-27-2011 06:04 PM
'98 Battery Drain jranger35 3rd gen T4Rs 12 03-11-2008 08:10 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:38 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.