User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-19-2019, 01:47 PM #1
jaxinmontana jaxinmontana is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 5
jaxinmontana is on a distinguished road
jaxinmontana jaxinmontana is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Billings, MT
Posts: 5
jaxinmontana is on a distinguished road
New springs for my 1997 SR5

Hi all - I'm in the market for new springs, front and back, for my '97 SR5. Anyone have good luck with aftermarket springs, i.e. fit, improved lift, improved sag when towing, price, etc.

Thanks all!
jaxinmontana is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 02:09 PM #2
manonthemove manonthemove is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 16
manonthemove is on a distinguished road
manonthemove manonthemove is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 16
manonthemove is on a distinguished road
Hey, you can find a bunch of great info in the lift FAQ thread here: 3rd Gen 4Runner Lift Information and FAQ's - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

I just ordered a set of OME coils myself... let's see how they turn out!
manonthemove is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 03:43 PM #3
Last Man Standing Last Man Standing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 90
Last Man Standing is on a distinguished road
Last Man Standing Last Man Standing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 90
Last Man Standing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by manonthemove View Post
Hey, you can find a bunch of great info in the lift FAQ thread here: 3rd Gen 4Runner Lift Information and FAQ's - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum

I just ordered a set of OME coils myself... let's see how they turn out!
manothemove,

I'm going the same route " stock OEM rear coils " Olathe Toyota $188 +S&H
I had the front shocks done with the coil over springs and they are great.
When are you doing your rears as I would appreciate your opinion on improvement over old ones. Mine is a 2002 170K so it's definitely time! I am low by 1" compared to front and I can lightly push on rear bumper and get 3-4" of travel with moderate pressure.

LMS
Last Man Standing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:14 PM #4
Kanoe Kanoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Yukon
Posts: 752
Kanoe will become famous soon enough
Kanoe Kanoe is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Yukon
Posts: 752
Kanoe will become famous soon enough
Probably the most discussed topic on the forum (next to ball joints). Do a bit of reading to get an idea of what you want to do with the truck. It really depends on what you hope to accomplish. I can guarantee whatever you decide, it has been discussed in detail already.
__________________
-1996 4Runner. 3RZ 5-Spd. 4x4 Base model. OME2906 rears with 2004 Tacoma Dual Rate Fronts on Bilstien 4600s.
-1993 Corolla Wagon 7AFE
Kanoe is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-19-2019, 08:24 PM #5
Last Man Standing Last Man Standing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 90
Last Man Standing is on a distinguished road
Last Man Standing Last Man Standing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 90
Last Man Standing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanoe View Post
Probably the most discussed topic on the forum (next to ball joints). Do a bit of reading to get an idea of what you want to do with the truck. It really depends on what you hope to accomplish. I can guarantee whatever you decide, it has been discussed in detail already.
Kanoe,

I would agree it has been discussed on many threads and one can see the displeasure with the OEM ones being under designed for the load being displaced beyond the rear axles, but for those of use who just want a better
ride without the increased height it seems we are stuck unless someone can advise otherwise? Most everyone is discussing increased height options instead of performance as a stand alone possibility.

The design of the 4Runner reminds me of an early Jeep Grand Cherokee I owned that had similar issues except they used leaf springs back then.

LMS
Last Man Standing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:21 AM #6
medic0079 medic0079 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 11
medic0079 is on a distinguished road
medic0079 medic0079 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: Gainesville
Posts: 11
medic0079 is on a distinguished road
If going aftermarket what are the most common?
medic0079 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:52 AM #7
beklemmung beklemmung is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38
beklemmung is on a distinguished road
beklemmung beklemmung is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38
beklemmung is on a distinguished road
@medic0079 , OME is most common. Look at the sticky posts in this forum, especially the ones regarding lifts and how to do a search.
__________________
1997 3.4L 4WD auto SR5, nearly 200k miles, pretty much all stock
beklemmung is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:21 PM #8
manonthemove manonthemove is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 16
manonthemove is on a distinguished road
manonthemove manonthemove is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 16
manonthemove is on a distinguished road
Yeah, there are a ton of opinions on the forums from people far more experienced than me. I went with the OME springs (Old Man Emu, not Original Equipment Manufacturer)... 883 in the front / 890 in the rear
manonthemove is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 05:25 PM #9
mountainthings mountainthings is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: BC
Posts: 2
mountainthings is on a distinguished road
mountainthings mountainthings is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: BC
Posts: 2
mountainthings is on a distinguished road
Don't cheap out like I did...
I put Moog talls in the front and back. Fronts were fine, but rear would ride on the bump stops even with a light load. Replaced rear with OME 2906's. A bit harsher ride, but still sits level fully loaded. Ever so slight rake unloaded.
This is with bilstein 5100's.
mountainthings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:26 PM #10
Last Man Standing Last Man Standing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 90
Last Man Standing is on a distinguished road
Last Man Standing Last Man Standing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 90
Last Man Standing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Man Standing View Post
Kanoe,

I would agree it has been discussed on many threads and one can see the displeasure with the OEM ones being under designed for the load being displaced beyond the rear axles, but for those of use who just want a better
ride without the increased height it seems we are stuck unless someone can advise otherwise? Most everyone is discussing increased height options instead of performance as a stand alone possibility.

The design of the 4Runner reminds me of an early Jeep Grand Cherokee I owned that had similar issues except they used leaf springs back then.

LMS
Guy's,

I made a decision to go with OEM springs and the final straw for this decision was watching " Timmy The Tool Man's " video twice and confirming his use of the preferred ( 1999 Toyota ) spring improvement. It appears Toyota used the tallest springs in that vintage and he compared it to the new numbers that Toyota use's for these. See Below my order thru Olathe Toyota. After using these folks for a couple orders they excel in communications and follow up! Hope this helps and will follow up when installed as to my opinion of these.

Link To Video:
14) Rear Coil Spring Replacement and Rear Shock Bushing Replacement
Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Content Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total

48231-35200 Coil Spring $94.16 2 $188.32 Subtotal: $188.32

NOTE! Above numbers do not match up to Tim's video numbers ( 35210 ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I am having Toyota check on this issue and will report back asap.

Shipping (Fedex Ground): $23.96 w/disc

Also:
Apologies to our more seasoned members as I should have checked Tim's thread on repairs!
3rd Gen T4R DIY Maintenance, Repair and Modification Videos

LMS

Last edited by Last Man Standing; 08-21-2019 at 04:11 PM.
Last Man Standing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 03:43 PM #11
beklemmung beklemmung is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38
beklemmung is on a distinguished road
beklemmung beklemmung is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 38
beklemmung is on a distinguished road
You might want to check that part number to be sure, according to the lift info thread (3rd Gen 4Runner Lift Information and FAQ's - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum), the '99 tall rear springs are 48231-35210, not 48231-35200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Man Standing View Post
Guy's,

I made a decision to go with OEM springs and the final straw for this decision was watching " Timmy The Tool Man's " video twice and confirming his use of the preferred ( 1999 Toyota ) spring improvement. It appears Toyota used the tallest springs in that vintage and he compared it to the new numbers that Toyota use's for these. See Below my order thru Olathe Toyota. After using these folks for a couple orders they excel in communications and follow up! Hope this helps and will follow up when installed as to my opinion of these.

Link To Video:
14) Rear Coil Spring Replacement and Rear Shock Bushing Replacement
Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum - Powered by vBulletin

Content Part Number Part Name Price Quantity Total

48231-35200 Coil Spring $94.16 2 $188.32 Subtotal: $188.32

Shipping (Fedex Ground): $23.96 w/disc

Also:
Apologies to our more seasoned members as I should have checked Tim's thread on repairs!
3rd Gen T4R DIY Maintenance, Repair and Modification Videos
__________________
1997 3.4L 4WD auto SR5, nearly 200k miles, pretty much all stock
beklemmung is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 04:05 PM #12
Last Man Standing Last Man Standing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 90
Last Man Standing is on a distinguished road
Last Man Standing Last Man Standing is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 90
Last Man Standing is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beklemmung View Post
You might want to check that part number to be sure, according to the lift info thread (3rd Gen 4Runner Lift Information and FAQ's - Toyota 4Runner Forum - Largest 4Runner Forum), the '99 tall rear springs are 48231-35210, not 48231-35200.
Beklemmung,

Good Catch and thanks for the heads up!
I corrected my post and will advise when Toyota gets back to me!

LMS

Last edited by Last Man Standing; 08-23-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Last Man Standing is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
aftermarket , i.e , improved , springs , sr5

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tokiko Shocks and 1997 Limited springs, Oakland Ca pickup only Capnemo Free 0 05-30-2019 01:33 AM
FS: 1997 4runner SR5 4x4 5 Speed: Colorado Springs, CO kwhoadley For Sale: Vehicles 2 02-01-2015 11:26 AM
FS: Original 1997 Springs / Front Shocks IdahoAngler For Sale: Suspension/Wheels/Tires 0 09-28-2011 04:13 PM
Will springs and shocks from a 2003 4Runner fit a 1997 4Runner?? gkatmar 4th Gen T4Rs 0 04-13-2007 10:42 AM
1997 vs. 2001 Rear Springs? LINY4Runner 3rd gen T4Rs 3 01-24-2007 12:29 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.