User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-22-2019, 09:42 PM #1
BostonJon BostonJon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 144
BostonJon is on a distinguished road
BostonJon BostonJon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 144
BostonJon is on a distinguished road
Coolant in oil but no oil in coolant ?

Hey everyone - replaced my oil cooler seals today. When I took the 24mm bolt off the cooler, about 1/4 pint of milky oil came out. However, when I drained the coolant before I started, the coolant was totally clear. Is it possible to have coolant in the oil but no oil in the coolant?

Interestingly, the PO must have used some kind of radiator stop leak because the coolant passage in the oil cooler was completely blocked with what seemed like a powdery substance. I suppose I haven’t had any oil cooling for a while now

Last edited by BostonJon; 09-22-2019 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Additions info
BostonJon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 09:47 PM #2
BoomerBob's Avatar
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
BoomerBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
Are you talking about the transmission fluid cooler in the radiator?
__________________
2001 2wd - Daily Driver
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-22-2019, 10:06 PM #3
BostonJon BostonJon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 144
BostonJon is on a distinguished road
BostonJon BostonJon is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 144
BostonJon is on a distinguished road
No. Iím talking about the oil cooler mounted to the engine block on the driver side rearward of the oil filter
BostonJon is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:22 AM #4
BoomerBob's Avatar
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
BoomerBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
I had my engine on the 01 tore down to the block not long ago and didn't see any oil coolers. All coolers were in front of the fan. What year is your rig? Do you think this might be an aftermarket add-on?

I can't be sure but it sure sounds like this cooler can be removed and bypassed. The radiator is what normally cools the engine oil and engine.
__________________
2001 2wd - Daily Driver
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:20 AM #5
Wedgy's Avatar
Wedgy Wedgy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 433
Wedgy will become famous soon enough Wedgy will become famous soon enough
Wedgy Wedgy is offline
Member
Wedgy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Southern California
Posts: 433
Wedgy will become famous soon enough Wedgy will become famous soon enough
Auto trans models have the trans cooler in the radiator but that is not what the OP is talking about. My understanding is that some vehicles came with the oil cooler(attached to the block near the screw on oil filter.
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/attac...eoilcooler-jpg
Attached Images
Coolant in oil but no oil in coolant ?-5vz-feoilcooler-jpg 
Wedgy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:21 AM #6
alumarine alumarine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 695
alumarine will become famous soon enough
alumarine alumarine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 695
alumarine will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBob View Post
I had my engine on the 01 tore down to the block not long ago and didn't see any oil coolers. All coolers were in front of the fan. What year is your rig? Do you think this might be an aftermarket add-on?

I can't be sure but it sure sounds like this cooler can be removed and bypassed. The radiator is what normally cools the engine oil and engine.
It's possible 2wd's don't have the oil cooler mounted by the oil filter.
__________________
2000 4runner 4wd Auto V6 - Tru-Cool LPD4454 trans cooler in series
1991 4runner 4wd Auto V6
1990 4runner 4wd Auto V6
alumarine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:25 AM #7
alumarine alumarine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 695
alumarine will become famous soon enough
alumarine alumarine is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Manitoba, Canada
Posts: 695
alumarine will become famous soon enough
Maybe it was condensation?
When you've changed the oil has it looked milky?
Monitor your overflow bottle level when cold to see if it's using antifreeze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonJon View Post
Hey everyone - replaced my oil cooler seals today. When I took the 24mm bolt off the cooler, about 1/4 pint of milky oil came out. However, when I drained the coolant before I started, the coolant was totally clear. Is it possible to have coolant in the oil but no oil in the coolant?

Interestingly, the PO must have used some kind of radiator stop leak because the coolant passage in the oil cooler was completely blocked with what seemed like a powdery substance. I suppose I havenít had any oil cooling for a while now
__________________
2000 4runner 4wd Auto V6 - Tru-Cool LPD4454 trans cooler in series
1991 4runner 4wd Auto V6
1990 4runner 4wd Auto V6
alumarine is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:26 AM #8
BoomerBob's Avatar
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
BoomerBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedgy View Post
Auto trans models have the trans cooler in the radiator but that is not what the OP is talking about. My understanding is that some vehicles came with the oil cooler(attached to the block near the screw on oil filter.
https://www.toyota-4runner.org/attac...eoilcooler-jpg
Ahhh... There was a spot that looked like it was for another oil filter but just had a cover on it. Now I know it was for an optional oil cooler. Live and learn. Seems a bit redundant but I guess there are some places where more cooling than the radiator can provide might be warranted.
__________________
2001 2wd - Daily Driver
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 12:02 PM #9
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,422
phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,422
phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBob View Post
Ahhh... There was a spot that looked like it was for another oil filter but just had a cover on it. Now I know it was for an optional oil cooler. Live and learn. Seems a bit redundant but I guess there are some places where more cooling than the radiator can provide might be warranted.
All the 5vz's I have seen have an oil cooler. That is also a second location for an oil filter (the JDM vans that use the 5vz have the oil filter there with the oil cooler on the front location), but not used that way in the US.

To the OP: All of the engine oil passes through the cooler, so you should check what's in the pan. There is something fishy going on...

-Charlie
__________________
'99 4Runner SR5 Auto - 4WD swapped
'89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
'16 Honda Odyssey
Previous: '88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, '03 WRX wagon, '08 Outback XT
phattyduck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 03:03 PM #10
BoomerBob's Avatar
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
BoomerBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
All the 5vz's I have seen have an oil cooler. That is also a second location for an oil filter (the JDM vans that use the 5vz have the oil filter there with the oil cooler on the front location), but not used that way in the US.

To the OP: All of the engine oil passes through the cooler, so you should check what's in the pan. There is something fishy going on...

-Charlie
That's exactly what I thought it was; a secondary location for an oil filter on vehicles in other countries. Probably in vehicles not sold in the USA.

Perhaps they are standard equipment on 4wd because they don't get the air flow when under stress (four wheelin') like the 2wd do.

So much to learn about these rigs...
__________________
2001 2wd - Daily Driver
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 04:32 PM #11
gamefreakgc's Avatar
gamefreakgc gamefreakgc is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Posts: 5,880
Real Name: Jerod
gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light
gamefreakgc gamefreakgc is offline
Elite Member
gamefreakgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Posts: 5,880
Real Name: Jerod
gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light gamefreakgc is a glorious beacon of light
It is very possible to have a one-way head gasket failure. They do normally mix both ways but sometimes coolant will get into the oil passage since it's under pressure, while the oil does not.

Change your oil and watch it for a while. Water is denser than oil so it'll want to settle to the bottom of the pan. On your next oil change if you've got water in there again, suspect a head gasket.
__________________
'98 4Runner SR5 - 4x4 5VZ-FE Supercharged - 222k miles, JDM engine @ 221k

AEM F/IC 6 Piggyback, 2.1" pulley at 11 PSI, Go-Fast Parts
Jerod's Supercharged T[u]RD Build
gamefreakgc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 06:17 PM #12
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,422
phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 3,422
phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold phattyduck is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBob View Post
Perhaps they are standard equipment on 4wd because they don't get the air flow when under stress (four wheelin') like the 2wd do.
My 2WD had the cooler from the factory... It also works in 'reverse' as an oil warmer to heat up the oil to engine temp faster than it would otherwise. Good for engine longevity.

-Charlie
__________________
'99 4Runner SR5 Auto - 4WD swapped
'89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
'16 Honda Odyssey
Previous: '88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, '03 WRX wagon, '08 Outback XT
phattyduck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:17 PM #13
BoomerBob's Avatar
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
BoomerBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
My 2WD had the cooler from the factory... It also works in 'reverse' as an oil warmer to heat up the oil to engine temp faster than it would otherwise. Good for engine longevity.

-Charlie
Okay. So they are on some and not others whether they are 2wd or 4wd. I guess I was right; they were an option.

I see the coolant flows on the inside of the coolant thermostat so it would make sense for it to flow through the oil cooler with warmer water until the coolant gets up to temp to open the thermostat. Not sure it would make a lot of difference in mild climates but likely help a good bit in cold climates. Especially where subzero is the norm.

Since it operates off the radiator coolant it's still dependent on the radiator for cooling. Might even do more good as an oil warmer than a cooler.

Toyota is quite proud of the oil coolers. At $1500 on ebay for just the body and internals of the cooler; I'd say they are really proud of them.

TOYOTA OEM 96-04 Tacoma 3.4L-V6-Engine Oil Cooler 1571062040 | eBay

I just went out and got my hands dirty looking at my 98 2wd and it has the cooler so this isn't a 2wd/4wd thing. The ebay link shows that it isn't compatible with 01 or 02 T4R's but the aftermarket coolers show that it is so I don't know what to think about all that. Maybe someone will come along and clarify Toyota's thinking or set the record straight.

I'm glad the 98 has it simply because it's pretty much my beater rig. I use it to take my dogs out to the country to let them run and occasionally to do some off pavement exploring with a friend. The 01 is my DD and set up for long distance driving. Because of the short trips the 98 takes; I find it reassuring the oil cooler is helping to warm up the oil quicker. Of course that's one more thing that can go bad but I accept that risk for that rig. I wonder if there's a bypass for them. There must be a way to put a cover, like on my 01, on and close off the line from the thermostat housing.

I'm still blown away at the price Toyota wants for their OEM cooler. Aftermarket appears to be in the $400-$850 range. Used; around $150. The long block for my 01 was $2100 so $1500 just for an oil cooler seems ludicrous to me. If the one on my 98 goes bad; I'll simply bypass it. In fact, now that I think about it, I should replace the two hoses to it sooner rather than later. It is 22 years old and I have no idea if they have ever been changed. Probably not. $51.22 for the set of OEM.

Getting quite an education from this thread!
__________________
2001 2wd - Daily Driver
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 08:21 PM #14
BoomerBob's Avatar
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
BoomerBob BoomerBob is offline
Member
BoomerBob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Arizona
Posts: 356
BoomerBob will become famous soon enough BoomerBob will become famous soon enough
A picture of the oil cooler.
Attached Images
Coolant in oil but no oil in coolant ?-mini-oilcooler-jpg 
__________________
2001 2wd - Daily Driver
BoomerBob is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 10:14 PM #15
3bears 3bears is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: north east of Fairbanks Alaska
Posts: 1,915
Real Name: Joshua 3 Bears
3bears has a spectacular aura about 3bears has a spectacular aura about 3bears has a spectacular aura about
3bears 3bears is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: north east of Fairbanks Alaska
Posts: 1,915
Real Name: Joshua 3 Bears
3bears has a spectacular aura about 3bears has a spectacular aura about 3bears has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerBob View Post
Okay. So they are on some and not others whether they are 2wd or 4wd. I guess I was right; they were an option.

I see the coolant flows on the inside of the coolant thermostat so it would make sense for it to flow through the oil cooler with warmer water until the coolant gets up to temp to open the thermostat. Not sure it would make a lot of difference in mild climates but likely help a good bit in cold climates. Especially where subzero is the norm.

Since it operates off the radiator coolant it's still dependent on the radiator for cooling. Might even do more good as an oil warmer than a cooler.

Toyota is quite proud of the oil coolers. At $1500 on ebay for just the body and internals of the cooler; I'd say they are really proud of them.

TOYOTA OEM 96-04 Tacoma 3.4L-V6-Engine Oil Cooler 1571062040 | eBay

I just went out and got my hands dirty looking at my 98 2wd and it has the cooler so this isn't a 2wd/4wd thing. The ebay link shows that it isn't compatible with 01 or 02 T4R's but the aftermarket coolers show that it is so I don't know what to think about all that. Maybe someone will come along and clarify Toyota's thinking or set the record straight.

I'm glad the 98 has it simply because it's pretty much my beater rig. I use it to take my dogs out to the country to let them run and occasionally to do some off pavement exploring with a friend. The 01 is my DD and set up for long distance driving. Because of the short trips the 98 takes; I find it reassuring the oil cooler is helping to warm up the oil quicker. Of course that's one more thing that can go bad but I accept that risk for that rig. I wonder if there's a bypass for them. There must be a way to put a cover, like on my 01, on and close off the line from the thermostat housing.

I'm still blown away at the price Toyota wants for their OEM cooler. Aftermarket appears to be in the $400-$850 range. Used; around $150. The long block for my 01 was $2100 so $1500 just for an oil cooler seems ludicrous to me. If the one on my 98 goes bad; I'll simply bypass it. In fact, now that I think about it, I should replace the two hoses to it sooner rather than later. It is 22 years old and I have no idea if they have ever been changed. Probably not. $51.22 for the set of OEM.

Getting quite an education from this thread!
since some markets and applications use this as the oil filter location, I wonder if with the right nipple you can just thread in another filter to act as a block off.

think I read that somebody actually did that and runs two filters
__________________
2000 SR-5 V6 Auto . Desert Dune, Spectre intake, Borla muffler, Magnafine tranny filter, B&M cooler, Talls, KYB, Airlift 1000, DRL delete, Big 3 wire, full rack, TBU, Swapped in Elocker, some LEDs, PIAA headlights, , Amsoil
3bears is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
coolant , cooler , drained , oil , started

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
V6- coolant not siphoning back from coolant overflow (not overheating) djtc 4th Gen T4Rs 19 08-28-2015 09:11 AM
pink coolant and green coolant Larry Maintenance/Detailing 30 11-17-2014 11:09 PM
Dealer Coolant Flushed with Wrong Coolant? peebee 4th Gen T4Rs 34 08-23-2014 03:33 AM
Coolant Leak- Drivers side coolant manifold? Shibby! 3rd gen T4Rs 19 12-28-2012 09:37 PM
22RE headgasket 'reversal' - coolant in oil, then oil in coolant kompression 3rd gen T4Rs 0 09-20-2005 12:23 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:09 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020