User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-12-2020, 12:35 PM #1
cps3575 cps3575 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: initech
Posts: 25
cps3575 is on a distinguished road
cps3575 cps3575 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: initech
Posts: 25
cps3575 is on a distinguished road
Which mods to pick from?

So I'll be selling my motorcycle in the spring and plan on putting that money towards mods on my bone stock 99 4runner Limited (no locker)

I've got a long list of potential mods to pick from and am deciding on the best way to spend it. I want a practical rig that can be a back up for my daily driver if I ever need it. I dont plan on getting into extreme off roading or rock crawling, just something fun for weekend use. I should be able to get about 4k for my bike.

I was thinking OME 3" lift w/diff drop, spc uca, adj panhard bar, larger tires, rock sliders, and the TBU

What are your thoughts?
cps3575 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 12:50 PM #2
Jidaran's Avatar
Jidaran Jidaran is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: DC
Posts: 176
Jidaran is on a distinguished road
Jidaran Jidaran is offline
Member
Jidaran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: DC
Posts: 176
Jidaran is on a distinguished road
Absalom did a great build thread you might find helpful.
__________________
2002 Limited 4Runner
2001 Jeep Cherokee
Jidaran is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:01 PM #3
cps3575 cps3575 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: initech
Posts: 25
cps3575 is on a distinguished road
cps3575 cps3575 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: initech
Posts: 25
cps3575 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jidaran View Post
Absalom did a great build thread you might find helpful.
Damn, thanks. How have I never seen this?
cps3575 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:29 PM #4
jross20 jross20 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Georgia
Posts: 333
jross20 will become famous soon enough
jross20 jross20 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Georgia
Posts: 333
jross20 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't lift the front over 2" if you can help it. What I hate is that you loose down travel, when I had a Tacoma before I didn't think about it and my down travel was like 0.7 or 0.8" so the shocks BANGED all the time as they maxed out. lol.

For the rear, I'd go with 890s and tundra shocks which I think is fairly cheap. But you'll need to get the panhard bar relocation bracket from that e guy here on the forums. Weld it on, paint it and shit so it doesn't rust. Then slap on some 2nd gen 4runner swaybar links, they are longer but also are not mega duty. But if you're not doing crazy shit I think you'll be good. There is someone here who sells mega ones if you want god-like ones. Next, extend the brake line so you don't snap that shit while flexing. Finally, I would swap out the rear lower trailing arms (lower ones to rear axle) with some mega duty solid steel ones. So if you ever hit a rock you'll be fine. The stock ones are NOT going to take a rock hit and survive without kinking up.

This setup gives me plenty of flex without the springs dropping out haha, seems to ride good.

For the front... Well I've no idea as currently I do not like my front setup as well as the rear...

Also, make sure you do all of your maintenance. Change those damn front lower and upper ball joints before they kick the bucket and possibly get you killed. (The spindle will basically just about fall off and break all kinds of shit)
Flush the transmission with your preferred DEX III compatible fluid. Also, this one is really a mod but I consider it mandatory... Install an auxiliary transmission cooler and bypass the radiator. If the radiator ever fails and allows transmission fluid to mix with coolant...you get pink milkshake and most likely a ruined transmission. So don't let that shit F up your truck!
jross20 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 03:19 PM #5
Brian.'s Avatar
Brian. Brian. is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Earth
Posts: 307
Brian. has a spectacular aura about Brian. has a spectacular aura about
Brian. Brian. is online now
Member
Brian.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Earth
Posts: 307
Brian. has a spectacular aura about Brian. has a spectacular aura about
I'm a little more methodical about my mods. Before I did anything, I made 100% sure that every last Possible bit of maintenance was done. It's the boring place to spend money, but that 3" lift isn't going to do you any good when the LBJ fails or you find your trans is filled with pink milkshake.

Next I put importance on things that make a difference every time you drive... a 3" lift and bigger tires don't mean a dang thing if you're on your way to work or the store. TBU on the other hand, is useful Everywhere, all the time (though I don't find fault with the stock brakes, but I'm a slow and cautious drive).

Now, I'm not much into off-roading. As in I'm mostly hunting down camping and hiking spots off forest service roads that any vehicle can make it down. But my understanding is that lifts are mostly only a prelude to larger tires, but you can have the same effect with some cutting and welding while maintaining a lower CoG for more stability. That might be more for slow speed crawling though, I can easily see long travel being necessary for desert racing.
__________________
'99 Limited 4x4, Millenium Silver ~ Maintenance Thread
Brian. is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 04:24 PM #6
jross20 jross20 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Georgia
Posts: 333
jross20 will become famous soon enough
jross20 jross20 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Georgia
Posts: 333
jross20 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian. View Post
I'm a little more methodical about my mods. Before I did anything, I made 100% sure that every last Possible bit of maintenance was done. It's the boring place to spend money, but that 3" lift isn't going to do you any good when the LBJ fails or you find your trans is filled with pink milkshake.

Next I put importance on things that make a difference every time you drive... a 3" lift and bigger tires don't mean a dang thing if you're on your way to work or the store. TBU on the other hand, is useful Everywhere, all the time (though I don't find fault with the stock brakes, but I'm a slow and cautious drive).

Now, I'm not much into off-roading. As in I'm mostly hunting down camping and hiking spots off forest service roads that any vehicle can make it down. But my understanding is that lifts are mostly only a prelude to larger tires, but you can have the same effect with some cutting and welding while maintaining a lower CoG for more stability. That might be more for slow speed crawling though, I can easily see long travel being necessary for desert racing.
Agreed on maintenance. It's just so exciting to mod shit. Haha
I'm also looking forward to my TBU.

Also, if you raise the panhard bar to fix the lift issues, it also raises the tip level or something. It feels better in corners!
jross20 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 05:42 PM #7
thezentree's Avatar
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 820
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree will become famous soon enough thezentree will become famous soon enough
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
thezentree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 820
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree will become famous soon enough thezentree will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by jross20 View Post
This is just my opinion, but I wouldn't lift the front over 2" if you can help it. What I hate is that you loose down travel, when I had a Tacoma before I didn't think about it and my down travel was like 0.7 or 0.8" so the shocks BANGED all the time as they maxed out. lol.

For the rear, I'd go with 890s and tundra shocks which I think is fairly cheap. But you'll need to get the panhard bar relocation bracket from that e guy here on the forums. Weld it on, paint it and shit so it doesn't rust. Then slap on some 2nd gen 4runner swaybar links, they are longer but also are not mega duty. But if you're not doing crazy shit I think you'll be good. There is someone here who sells mega ones if you want god-like ones. Next, extend the brake line so you don't snap that shit while flexing. Finally, I would swap out the rear lower trailing arms (lower ones to rear axle) with some mega duty solid steel ones. So if you ever hit a rock you'll be fine. The stock ones are NOT going to take a rock hit and survive without kinking up.

This setup gives me plenty of flex without the springs dropping out haha, seems to ride good.

For the front... Well I've no idea as currently I do not like my front setup as well as the rear...

Also, make sure you do all of your maintenance. Change those damn front lower and upper ball joints before they kick the bucket and possibly get you killed. (The spindle will basically just about fall off and break all kinds of shit)
Flush the transmission with your preferred DEX III compatible fluid. Also, this one is really a mod but I consider it mandatory... Install an auxiliary transmission cooler and bypass the radiator. If the radiator ever fails and allows transmission fluid to mix with coolant...you get pink milkshake and most likely a ruined transmission. So don't let that shit F up your truck!
This, or at least 98% of it. You're looking for a PCK from @eimkeith

Don't bypass the radiator with with ATF cooler. Put a new radiator in it (because they can fail as described above when they're old and corroded) and run it in series with an auxiliary cooler. When it's cold out the radiator will get the ATF to its proper operating temp. It'll also help cool the ATF more on hot days.

Oh, and run some SL 32s instead of E-range 285s unless you absolutely HAVE to have 33s. Huge difference in performance on the street.
__________________
2001 SR5 - Like OEM, only worse (gears, e-locker, armor)

Last edited by thezentree; 01-12-2020 at 05:50 PM.
thezentree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 08:00 PM #8
jross20 jross20 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Georgia
Posts: 333
jross20 will become famous soon enough
jross20 jross20 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Georgia
Posts: 333
jross20 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezentree View Post
This, or at least 98% of it. You're looking for a PCK from @eimkeith

Don't bypass the radiator with with ATF cooler. Put a new radiator in it (because they can fail as described above when they're old and corroded) and run it in series with an auxiliary cooler. When it's cold out the radiator will get the ATF to its proper operating temp. It'll also help cool the ATF more on hot days.

Oh, and run some SL 32s instead of E-range 285s unless you absolutely HAVE to have 33s. Huge difference in performance on the street.
Yes that's my e dude. I can never remember how to spell his name...haha

But I will say to me it isn't worth it using the old rad with the transmission fluid. I like the peace of mind knowing it will never pink milkshake it up

It still warms up just as fast and stays cool (never gets higher than 170, average 150-160). When it's cold out side you can put a sheet of card stock in front of it if you want. I don't. She always gets up to at lease 140 even in 35 F weather. Perhaps of someone lived in the north it would matter more.

I digress.

OP, either option is good. Choose which one you're comfortable with.
jross20 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 07:31 PM #9
gamefreakgc's Avatar
gamefreakgc gamefreakgc is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Posts: 5,467
Real Name: Jerod
gamefreakgc is just really nice gamefreakgc is just really nice gamefreakgc is just really nice gamefreakgc is just really nice gamefreakgc is just really nice
gamefreakgc gamefreakgc is offline
Elite Member
gamefreakgc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Citrus Heights, California
Posts: 5,467
Real Name: Jerod
gamefreakgc is just really nice gamefreakgc is just really nice gamefreakgc is just really nice gamefreakgc is just really nice gamefreakgc is just really nice
Forget all this "offroad" stuff and get a supercharger . I have lots of fun in mine on the weekends and I never leave the pavement...
__________________
'98 4Runner SR5 - 4x4 5VZ-FE Supercharged - 222k miles, JDM engine @ 221k

AEM F/IC 6 Piggyback, 2.1" pulley at 11 PSI, Go-Fast Parts
Jerod's Supercharged T[u]RD Build
gamefreakgc is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
mods , pick , plan , rock , weekend

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help me pick petron5000 5th gen T4Rs 30 02-04-2019 07:18 PM
Mods. Done With Mods. KISS Khjphoto 5th gen T4Rs 2 10-09-2016 06:09 PM
Which one would you pick? robotkiller 5th gen T4Rs 23 06-27-2012 07:50 PM
Possible pick up pick up hehe Iroke17 Classic T4Rs 3 12-22-2011 11:20 AM
Physical Mods Then ECU Mods? liqourish 4th Gen T4Rs 0 09-24-2009 03:00 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:34 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.