User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-13-2020, 06:06 PM #1
VernySanders's Avatar
VernySanders VernySanders is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Grand Rapids
Age: 24
Posts: 326
Real Name: Werner
VernySanders will become famous soon enough
VernySanders VernySanders is offline
Member
VernySanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Grand Rapids
Age: 24
Posts: 326
Real Name: Werner
VernySanders will become famous soon enough
Hesitant to start. Intermittently.

Hello all you great forum members! Nothing too crazy but I wanted to know if anyone has had any experience with this or not. Aka should I look further into it or just leave it.

Every once in a while probably once ever 50 starts my truck doesnt want to start right up like it usually does it will just turn over. Obviously it's not a starter issue, I'm thinking it's something fuel related, however I must say, the first time I ever encountered this was shortly after installing my cold air intake, has anyone else encountered this? Even on cold starts in 20 degree weather my truck turns over for a half second and fires right up so I thought this to be odd.

Thanks all!
VernySanders is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:36 PM #2
mtbtim's Avatar
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 54
Posts: 3,991
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
mtbtim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 54
Posts: 3,991
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold
It could be a sticky IAC valve.
__________________
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it!"
mtbtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 06:55 PM #3
plcfcng's Avatar
plcfcng plcfcng is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Southern California (please don't hold it against me)
Posts: 250
Real Name: michael
plcfcng will become famous soon enough
plcfcng plcfcng is offline
Member
plcfcng's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Southern California (please don't hold it against me)
Posts: 250
Real Name: michael
plcfcng will become famous soon enough
I just had problem with my Cat Converters and it would present like this. It fooled me for a while until I put a simple Vac gauge on it to see that Vac was low at idle. This maybe not be your problem but don't count it out.
plcfcng is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 09:46 AM #4
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 704
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 704
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by plcfcng View Post
I just had problem with my Cat Converters and it would present like this. It fooled me for a while until I put a simple Vac gauge on it to see that Vac was low at idle. This maybe not be your problem but don't count it out.
Clogged cats?
__________________
2000 Limited V6 Auto E-Locker
Bad Luck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 10:28 AM #5
mtbtim's Avatar
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 54
Posts: 3,991
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
mtbtim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 54
Posts: 3,991
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by plcfcng View Post
I just had problem with my Cat Converters and it would present like this. It fooled me for a while until I put a simple Vac gauge on it to see that Vac was low at idle. This maybe not be your problem but don't count it out.
You've got me scratching my head on this one. Like @Bad Luck , are you saying your catalytic converters were blocked up? Also, what did you put a vacuum gauge on?

If you are talking about blocked up catalytic converters, why would that cause an intermittent hard start. I would think it would be more of a constant issue if the cats were in bad shape.
__________________
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it!"

Last edited by mtbtim; 01-14-2020 at 10:33 AM.
mtbtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 11:08 AM #6
spartacus's Avatar
spartacus spartacus is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: denver
Posts: 877
spartacus has a spectacular aura about spartacus has a spectacular aura about spartacus has a spectacular aura about
spartacus spartacus is online now
Member
spartacus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: denver
Posts: 877
spartacus has a spectacular aura about spartacus has a spectacular aura about spartacus has a spectacular aura about
It could also be related to fuel pressure at start up. I cleaned the maf replaced the fuel filter , checked and cleaned the battery terminals etc but the symptoms remained. Ended up being the oe fuel pump, which finally gave up after a year or so but lasted about 300k so it was due.
spartacus is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 12:20 PM #7
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 704
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 704
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtim View Post
You've got me scratching my head on this one. Like @Bad Luck , are you saying your catalytic converters were blocked up? Also, what did you put a vacuum gauge on?

If you are talking about blocked up catalytic converters, why would that cause an intermittent hard start. I would think it would be more of a constant issue if the cats were in bad shape.
I've seen blocked cats cause mid-low range and above rpm loss of power and lower intake vacuum because of the restriction, but I've never heard of it causing a intermittent start issue.
__________________
2000 Limited V6 Auto E-Locker
Bad Luck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:17 PM #8
mtbtim's Avatar
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 54
Posts: 3,991
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
mtbtim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 54
Posts: 3,991
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold mtbtim is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Luck View Post
I've seen blocked cats cause mid-low range and above rpm loss of power and lower intake vacuum because of the restriction, but I've never heard of it causing a intermittent start issue.
Yeah, I've heard of the loss of power as well with blocked cats, but like you, I haven't heard of it causing an intermittent starting issue either.

I'd like to see how somebody measures the intake vacuum pressure.
__________________
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it!"
mtbtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:24 PM #9
VernySanders's Avatar
VernySanders VernySanders is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Grand Rapids
Age: 24
Posts: 326
Real Name: Werner
VernySanders will become famous soon enough
VernySanders VernySanders is offline
Member
VernySanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Grand Rapids
Age: 24
Posts: 326
Real Name: Werner
VernySanders will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by spartacus View Post
It could also be related to fuel pressure at start up. I cleaned the maf replaced the fuel filter , checked and cleaned the battery terminals etc but the symptoms remained. Ended up being the oe fuel pump, which finally gave up after a year or so but lasted about 300k so it was due.
I'm going to do the fuel pump and filter soon. I already have the OEM filter replacement just need the pump. This is a good suggestion I appreciate it!
VernySanders is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:25 PM #10
VernySanders's Avatar
VernySanders VernySanders is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Grand Rapids
Age: 24
Posts: 326
Real Name: Werner
VernySanders will become famous soon enough
VernySanders VernySanders is offline
Member
VernySanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Grand Rapids
Age: 24
Posts: 326
Real Name: Werner
VernySanders will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtim View Post
It could be a sticky IAC valve.
I will add this to the list! Fortunately I deleted one of my cats and the other is brand new so no need to even consider cats.
VernySanders is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 01:54 PM #11
19963.4lsr5 19963.4lsr5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stouchsburg PA
Posts: 3,235
19963.4lsr5 has a spectacular aura about 19963.4lsr5 has a spectacular aura about
19963.4lsr5 19963.4lsr5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stouchsburg PA
Posts: 3,235
19963.4lsr5 has a spectacular aura about 19963.4lsr5 has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by VernySanders View Post
I will add this to the list! Fortunately I deleted one of my cats and the other is brand new so no need to even consider cats.


Iíd do the IAC first


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19963.4lsr5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:08 PM #12
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 704
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 704
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about Bad Luck has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtim View Post
Yeah, I've heard of the loss of power as well with blocked cats, but like you, I haven't heard of it causing an intermittent starting issue either.

I'd like to see how somebody measures the intake vacuum pressure.
You should be able to hook a vacuum gauge to where the brake booster connects to the intake.
__________________
2000 Limited V6 Auto E-Locker
Bad Luck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 04:14 PM #13
VernySanders's Avatar
VernySanders VernySanders is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Grand Rapids
Age: 24
Posts: 326
Real Name: Werner
VernySanders will become famous soon enough
VernySanders VernySanders is offline
Member
VernySanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Grand Rapids
Age: 24
Posts: 326
Real Name: Werner
VernySanders will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 View Post
Iíd do the IAC first


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm just going to do it all! I never shy from proper preventative maintenance! Neither do you I'm sure that's why I love this forum! Honestly best online community for any vehicle that I've ever come across.
VernySanders is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-14-2020, 05:57 PM #14
19963.4lsr5 19963.4lsr5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stouchsburg PA
Posts: 3,235
19963.4lsr5 has a spectacular aura about 19963.4lsr5 has a spectacular aura about
19963.4lsr5 19963.4lsr5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stouchsburg PA
Posts: 3,235
19963.4lsr5 has a spectacular aura about 19963.4lsr5 has a spectacular aura about
Hesitant to start. Intermittently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VernySanders View Post
I'm just going to do it all! I never shy from proper preventative maintenance! Neither do you I'm sure that's why I love this forum! Honestly best online community for any vehicle that I've ever come across.


Iím going to say this......

As part of our collective and sharing knowledge, shotgunning the problem by replacing a bunch of things at the same time may fix it but not define what was the actual problem from a troubleshooting perspective.

You can still replace all the things you want but do it one part at a time to figure out whatís causing the problem.

There are a bunch of extended crank threads without any solution. My Exís 97 Puppy Hauler would start normal in about 2 seconds on the starter. Then on occasion it would take longer. 5 or so. Itís not my problem anymore.

If it was my problem Iíd do the IAC first since at times I caught it idling high. And cleaning it would fix it.

Second Iíd watch fuel rail pressure to see if a injector was leaking and bleeding off rail pressure.

Third would be fuel filter (in my case itís only two years old)

Fourth would be fuel pump.

I do not think our fuel pump starts running until itís put to start. American rigs will run the fuel pump at ignition on for a few seconds and after it detects engine run it will keep it running.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19963.4lsr5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:22 PM #15
VernySanders's Avatar
VernySanders VernySanders is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Grand Rapids
Age: 24
Posts: 326
Real Name: Werner
VernySanders will become famous soon enough
VernySanders VernySanders is offline
Member
VernySanders's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Grand Rapids
Age: 24
Posts: 326
Real Name: Werner
VernySanders will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 View Post
Iím going to say this......

As part of our collective and sharing knowledge, shotgunning the problem by replacing a bunch of things at the same time may fix it but not define what was the actual problem from a troubleshooting perspective.

You can still replace all the things you want but do it one part at a time to figure out whatís causing the problem.

There are a bunch of extended crank threads without any solution. My Exís 97 Puppy Hauler would start normal in about 2 seconds on the starter. Then on occasion it would take longer. 5 or so. Itís not my problem anymore.

If it was my problem Iíd do the IAC first since at times I caught it idling high. And cleaning it would fix it.

Second Iíd watch fuel rail pressure to see if a injector was leaking and bleeding off rail pressure.

Third would be fuel filter (in my case itís only two years old)

Fourth would be fuel pump.

I do not think our fuel pump starts running until itís put to start. American rigs will run the fuel pump at ignition on for a few seconds and after it detects engine run it will keep it running.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You're logic is extremely true! Usually when trying to fix something troubleshooting is the best way or else like you said you're just throwing a bunch of parts at it, in this case I was leaning more towards doing all three just because theres really no way for me to know if what I did worked or not unless my truck does the same thing again which may more may not happen. Perks of not having any prior maintenance records on a 20 year old truck Haha I get to replace everything! When i dug down to the timing belt to replace it that bad boy was on its last leg. I've been under the impression for quite some time that the maintenance wasnt kept up very well on my truck. I dont notice any high idle or anything just every once in a while a good 5 second crank kinda like you said.
VernySanders is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cold , encountered , start , starts , truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help! 98 3.4 V6 Hesitant/surging under acceleration on incline Guy Bri 3rd gen T4Rs 17 12-02-2018 09:22 PM
Elocker rebuild, hesitant to try arthurm 5th gen T4Rs 4 07-20-2018 12:05 AM
2005 4Runner Won't Start Intermittently flcoasterguy2 4th Gen T4Rs 21 01-21-2018 09:42 PM
Need help/ advice.. Hesitant throttle response dnbprofessor 3rd gen T4Rs 0 08-03-2012 03:54 PM
For those hesitant about extended oil change intervals... Toyodas Maintenance/Detailing 3 10-28-2010 07:25 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2019


Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.