User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2020, 11:36 AM #16
Jarods7920 Jarods7920 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Saint Charles MO
Posts: 19
Jarods7920 is on a distinguished road
Jarods7920 Jarods7920 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Saint Charles MO
Posts: 19
Jarods7920 is on a distinguished road
I would also suggest you look for obvious signs of wear or chew marks from rodents. Good luck. Electrical issues are never fun.
Jarods7920 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-10-2020, 07:26 PM #17
Fishwerks's Avatar
Fishwerks Fishwerks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southwest
Posts: 1,075
Real Name: Chris
Fishwerks will become famous soon enough Fishwerks will become famous soon enough
Fishwerks Fishwerks is offline
Senior Member
Fishwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southwest
Posts: 1,075
Real Name: Chris
Fishwerks will become famous soon enough Fishwerks will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Luck View Post
Here's a link to a 2000 Electrical Wiring Diagram: Dropbox - 2000 4Runner Electrical Wiring Diagram (EWD383U) - Printable - Simplify your life

If I have any time today I'll look at wiring diagrams to see if I can assist in any way.

Edit: If you click on the link, then select 254 Power Source, then scroll down to page 258 it tells you every diagram that contains ECU-IG fuse in the circuit. Hope that helps!
Thanks for the diagrams, I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDurk View Post
Yeah, there is no such thing. The EWD goes circuit by circuit. PM me an e-mail address and I'll hook you up with the whole set.

This will not be fun. If you can't find the issue by physically looking at suspect areas, such as any modified wiring, then the first thing is to pull the 1G plug on the back of the inside fusebox. Basically, that fuse feeds a bunch of stuff on board the BODY ECU and then a bunch of other stuff elsewhere through that 1G plug. If it still blows with that plug pulled, issue is internal to the BOCY ECU and you know what that means.So I hope it doesn't blow and we can move on to other stuff.
Looks like I'm off to a strong start with my terminology haha. Yikes. I think @Bad Luck got me squared away with the diagrams.

The only other aftermarket wiring in the truck is for my sub/amp and two aftermarket light switches (that aren't currently running any accessories) that I tapped into the cluster dimmer switch so they would light up with the dash lights. I need to go buy some more 10A fuses before I can start testing, thought I had another box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarods7920 View Post
I would also suggest you look for obvious signs of wear or chew marks from rodents. Good luck. Electrical issues are never fun.
Will do, thanks!
__________________
Fishwerks' Photo/Build Thread 2000 SR5 l White on White l 35s l Supercharged
--
2010 Trail Edition l Salsa Red Pearl l Stock
--
Instagram
Fishwerks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 02:01 PM #18
TheDurk's Avatar
TheDurk TheDurk is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pocono Mountains
Posts: 7,498
TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light
TheDurk TheDurk is offline
Elite Member
TheDurk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Pocono Mountains
Posts: 7,498
TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light TheDurk is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Luck View Post
Here's a link to a 2000 Electrical Wiring Diagram: Dropbox - 2000 4Runner Electrical Wiring Diagram (EWD383U) - Printable - Simplify your life

If I have any time today I'll look at wiring diagrams to see if I can assist in any way.

Edit: If you click on the link, then select 254 Power Source, then scroll down to page 258 it tells you every diagram that contains ECU-IG fuse in the circuit. Hope that helps!



That's EXACTLY where I got the list I posted in Post #9 above.
__________________
'99 4Runner SR5 5spd 3.4L V6 4WD(U.S), original '99 Talls in front, OME 906s in back, Hella fogs, Trekmaster shocks in front, Billy in back, no running boards, FIAMM horns, Alpine sound, Michelin LTX M/S2's, owned since new.
'97 HiLux SW4 5spd 4WD(Japan model bought in Brazil assembled in Argentina, very close to a 3.0 4Runner/Surf)
'71 FordWillys Jeep CJ5 (with straight six Ford Maverick 3.0 liter engine--lives in the mountains north of Sao Paulo Brazil)
My Backyard Frame Swap
TheDurk is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 03:34 PM #19
Fishwerks's Avatar
Fishwerks Fishwerks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southwest
Posts: 1,075
Real Name: Chris
Fishwerks will become famous soon enough Fishwerks will become famous soon enough
Fishwerks Fishwerks is offline
Senior Member
Fishwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southwest
Posts: 1,075
Real Name: Chris
Fishwerks will become famous soon enough Fishwerks will become famous soon enough
Well I think I found the source of the issue at the tailgate wiring harness...any opinions on repairing vs replacing?

Untitled by Fishwerks., on Flickr
__________________
Fishwerks' Photo/Build Thread 2000 SR5 l White on White l 35s l Supercharged
--
2010 Trail Edition l Salsa Red Pearl l Stock
--
Instagram
Fishwerks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:49 PM #20
brillo_76's Avatar
brillo_76 brillo_76 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Western PA
Posts: 6,037
Real Name: Jon
brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute
brillo_76 brillo_76 is offline
Elite Member
brillo_76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Western PA
Posts: 6,037
Real Name: Jon
brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute brillo_76 has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwerks View Post
Well I think I found the source of the issue at the tailgate wiring harness...any opinions on repairing vs replacing?

Untitled by Fishwerks., on Flickr
Just fix it. Extremely common for the tailgate and door jam wiring to do that.




Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
__________________
7 3rd gens listed in the build thread (2 are parts mobiles)
Build Thread: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...os-builds.html
Brillo's Bucket Fluid Ex changer: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...ml#post3358086
Sparks Plugs Wire and Coil Information: https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...on-5vz-fe.html
brillo_76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:19 AM #21
19963.4lsr5 19963.4lsr5 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stouchsburg PA
Posts: 5,323
19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold
19963.4lsr5 19963.4lsr5 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stouchsburg PA
Posts: 5,323
19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwerks View Post
Well I think I found the source of the issue at the tailgate wiring harness...any opinions on repairing vs replacing?

Untitled by Fishwerks., on Flickr

Use uninsulated crimps and then solder the crimp and shrink tube the crimp. This way wont shorten the harness.

Solder the connections no matter what you do.

My 04 Grand Cherokee had this happen in the door jams and I extended them 3.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19963.4lsr5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 01:49 PM #22
3RDGENGuy's Avatar
3RDGENGuy 3RDGENGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Snohomish
Posts: 531
Real Name: Matt
3RDGENGuy is on a distinguished road
3RDGENGuy 3RDGENGuy is offline
Member
3RDGENGuy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Snohomish
Posts: 531
Real Name: Matt
3RDGENGuy is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishwerks View Post
Well I think I found the source of the issue at the tailgate wiring harness...any opinions on repairing vs replacing?

Untitled by Fishwerks., on Flickr

Is there trick to get that damn runner grommet back in place?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3RDGENGuy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2020, 10:30 AM #23
Fishwerks's Avatar
Fishwerks Fishwerks is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southwest
Posts: 1,075
Real Name: Chris
Fishwerks will become famous soon enough Fishwerks will become famous soon enough
Fishwerks Fishwerks is offline
Senior Member
Fishwerks's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Southwest
Posts: 1,075
Real Name: Chris
Fishwerks will become famous soon enough Fishwerks will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by brillo_76 View Post
Just fix it. Extremely common for the tailgate and door jam wiring to do that.




Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
Yeah I have seen a couple threads on the same issue just in the last couple days, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19963.4lsr5 View Post
Use uninsulated crimps and then solder the crimp and shrink tube the crimp. This way won’t shorten the harness.

Solder the connections no matter what you do.

My 04 Grand Cherokee had this happen in the door jams and I extended them 3”.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks for the suggestion, seems like a good idea. I'm thinking I may need to splice new wiring on both sides away from that location since the wires bend so much, like this video by @mtbtim and @infamousRNR - YouTube

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RDGENGuy View Post
Is there trick to get that damn runner grommet back in place?!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
In this video that @mtbtim and @infamousRNR conveniently just posted a couple days ago, they pull-up the plastic surround in the body, attach the grommet to the plastic surround and then put the whole thing back into place at 16:38 into the video - YouTube
__________________
Fishwerks' Photo/Build Thread 2000 SR5 l White on White l 35s l Supercharged
--
2010 Trail Edition l Salsa Red Pearl l Stock
--
Instagram
Fishwerks is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-09-2024, 07:10 PM #24
Your-Real-Dad Your-Real-Dad is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 2
Your-Real-Dad is on a distinguished road
Your-Real-Dad Your-Real-Dad is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2023
Posts: 2
Your-Real-Dad is on a distinguished road
Hi, trying to resolve the same burnt ECU-IG fuse issue on my 2002. Thanks for the diagrams and list of circuits on that fuse. Where can I find the 1G connector on the back of the junction box? Do you (anybody) have a diagram of the connectors?
Your-Real-Dad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 04:18 PM #25
3ToyGuy 3ToyGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Chiloquin
Posts: 53
Real Name: Patrick
3ToyGuy is on a distinguished road
3ToyGuy 3ToyGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Chiloquin
Posts: 53
Real Name: Patrick
3ToyGuy is on a distinguished road
There's a very useful item out now, especially handy for situations where you do not need the wires shortened, but making them longer isn't really a viable option either. Like repairing the rear door wires in the above picture. It's a piece of FIT-200 heat shrink, no meltwall inside, with a tube of solder in the middle. When you shrink down the heat shrink, the solder melts, soldering the wires together. Voila! Two pieces in one, with soldering the wires, and heat shrinking the join happen at once. I believe some even have a crimp tube outside the solder, but I may be wrong on that.

Soldering the join IS always a good idea, but ensuring you have a good mechanical connection is also vital to a good repair. In other words, and I learned to do this in my first soldering class in the Corps, tinning the wires, making a hook out of each one, and crimping them tight to each other, is the first step to making a good repair of broken wires. The instructor liked to stand on one end of the wire, and hoist up on the other to test the solder joins we made.

Sadly, that method shortens the wires, which is a bad thing in this situation. The heat shrink/solder tube item removes the need to prep the wires by hooking them together. No shortening of the wire. Unfortunately, the mechanical connection IS weaker, but not a lot. Just make sure you use the right size heat shrink to fit the wire correctly. It should be just big enough to go over the wire's insulation. That will be the strongest mechanical join.

Tin the wires, if at all possible, before inserting them into the tube. This will help ensure the solder join is the best possible, and will allow the solder to flow into the wires better. Also, using a good liquid flux will make the solder flow evenly, ensuring the best solder join possible.

The solder/heat shrink items are available from Grainger, and McMaster-Carr, either individually, or in kit form. Very reasonable prices.

Sorry, I ramble on this subject, having been a radar technician, and shop supervisor during my career.
Good luck to you!
Pat☺
3ToyGuy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 12:22 AM #26
Endlessblockades's Avatar
Endlessblockades Endlessblockades is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,685
Real Name: Blair
Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold
Endlessblockades Endlessblockades is offline
Senior Member
Endlessblockades's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Northern California
Posts: 1,685
Real Name: Blair
Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold Endlessblockades is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ToyGuy View Post
There's a very useful item out now, especially handy for situations where you do not need the wires shortened, but making them longer isn't really a viable option either. Like repairing the rear door wires in the above picture. It's a piece of FIT-200 heat shrink, no meltwall inside, with a tube of solder in the middle. When you shrink down the heat shrink, the solder melts, soldering the wires together. Voila! Two pieces in one, with soldering the wires, and heat shrinking the join happen at once. I believe some even have a crimp tube outside the solder, but I may be wrong on that.

Soldering the join IS always a good idea, but ensuring you have a good mechanical connection is also vital to a good repair. In other words, and I learned to do this in my first soldering class in the Corps, tinning the wires, making a hook out of each one, and crimping them tight to each other, is the first step to making a good repair of broken wires. The instructor liked to stand on one end of the wire, and hoist up on the other to test the solder joins we made.

Sadly, that method shortens the wires, which is a bad thing in this situation. The heat shrink/solder tube item removes the need to prep the wires by hooking them together. No shortening of the wire. Unfortunately, the mechanical connection IS weaker, but not a lot. Just make sure you use the right size heat shrink to fit the wire correctly. It should be just big enough to go over the wire's insulation. That will be the strongest mechanical join.

Tin the wires, if at all possible, before inserting them into the tube. This will help ensure the solder join is the best possible, and will allow the solder to flow into the wires better. Also, using a good liquid flux will make the solder flow evenly, ensuring the best solder join possible.

The solder/heat shrink items are available from Grainger, and McMaster-Carr, either individually, or in kit form. Very reasonable prices.

Sorry, I ramble on this subject, having been a radar technician, and shop supervisor during my career.
Good luck to you!
Pat☺
Funny - I've been getting non-stop ads on IG for SolderStick wire connectors. I kinda thought they were just more cheap Chinese junk but there is certainly a place for them. It's funny - I no longer carry a lighter but I carry a cordless heat gun in my rig....... getting old is a trip. Probably gonna grab a box of them or similar.
__________________
260K - Y2K/E - Clock still works
Endlessblockades is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 02-11-2024, 09:23 PM #27
3ToyGuy 3ToyGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Chiloquin
Posts: 53
Real Name: Patrick
3ToyGuy is on a distinguished road
3ToyGuy 3ToyGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Chiloquin
Posts: 53
Real Name: Patrick
3ToyGuy is on a distinguished road
How about another "ad" for McMaster-carr?

McMaster-Carr

A short...ok, really long...search-through, you'll see what I meant. Both FIT-200, and FIT-300 heat shrink butt splices. Solder in center, and just basic crimp-on. I strongly reccomend solder in center. Much better electrical connection, and will last much longer. If you have a soldering iron, and know what you're doing, tinning the wire before inserting will make the solder flow better.

If you want some advice on what to do with what, as far as soldering goes, I'll be happy to write up an instruction manual on proper soldering techniques. I fear I may get a trifle long winded about it, but you WILL know the correct techniques to solder anything when I get done
It takes about a $50.00 initial layout for a decent soldering kit, but after that, you'll be golden.

Pat
3ToyGuy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
electrical , inoperable , issues , time , truck

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help with electrical issues Yotanation 3rd gen T4Rs 35 04-14-2019 01:09 PM
electrical issues loafer 5th gen T4Rs 9 06-20-2016 12:28 AM
Electrical short?? Random electrical issues? Fanman47 4th Gen T4Rs 5 06-09-2014 03:12 PM
Electrical issues in a 99 mryuk81 3rd gen T4Rs 3 11-29-2006 10:30 AM
'00 SR5 electrical issues... ThaDeej Problems & Warranty Issues 0 12-20-2005 05:29 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020