User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-01-2020, 12:28 AM #1
Dom8706's Avatar
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
Dom8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
recommended e locker for a 02 in 4.88 ratio?

I honestly dont know what gear ratio i currently have. I know the spin test i just havent cared enough to do it. I have 265/70/16 tires on now and i plan on putting 265/75/16s on there after i get done with this 1 inch body lift and save up few more bucks. Its a 18 year old v6 so i know i shouldn't expect much acceleration but i figured with slightly bigger tires i might as well up the gears and might as well make it a e locker.

Any recommendations for the front and the rear? I dont know much about the diff gears. Just what it kind of looks like and how to change the fluid on them.
__________________
02 T4R SR5, 3.4L, 205k, TJM front bumper, AAIWA 60W Flood/Spot lights, ebay snorkel, Airaid MIT, B&M 70268, OME 881/906 springs, OME absorbers, ToyTec 1" BL, SS Diff Drop/Panhard Bar/Rear Body Mounts/Hi Lift Mount, Andymod 2.0, 20% window tint, Rola basket w/custom mounts, Rear diff breather extender.
Dom8706 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:58 AM #2
Dieselchessy Dieselchessy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 543
Dieselchessy has a spectacular aura about Dieselchessy has a spectacular aura about
Dieselchessy Dieselchessy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: SW Washington
Posts: 543
Dieselchessy has a spectacular aura about Dieselchessy has a spectacular aura about
I donít know what gears you have now. Could be 4:10 or maybe 4:30.

Lots of the e-locker 4runners have 4:30 gears, a few have 4:10.
The e-locker Tacomaís tend to have 4:10.

Youíd probably be good with a 4:30 locker rear. If you buy one you could run it a bit and see. Then decide what to do.

You have to mod a non-locker housing to fit a locker, or buy an entire axle.
Tacoma housings are different due to shock mounts and such.
__________________
Owned 82, 83, 87 pickup, 98, 99 SR5 4runner
Currently own a 98 SR5, 5spd, 4x4, e-locker, no sunroof. 2012 LTD with the normal options.
Dieselchessy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:54 AM #3
Dom8706's Avatar
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
Dom8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselchessy View Post
I donít know what gears you have now. Could be 4:10 or maybe 4:30.

Lots of the e-locker 4runners have 4:30 gears, a few have 4:10.
The e-locker Tacomaís tend to have 4:10.

Youíd probably be good with a 4:30 locker rear. If you buy one you could run it a bit and see. Then decide what to do.

You have to mod a non-locker housing to fit a locker, or buy an entire axle.
Tacoma housings are different due to shock mounts and such.
Hmm. I think I'd rather get a 4.88 or a 5.29 with no locker than just a 4.30 with a locker. I know the 4.88 is recommended for 33" tires. Would save money and time too. It's a shame but I am definitely prefer more acceleration over a e locker. Is there a company who makes gears without e lockers that is more recommended than most?
__________________
02 T4R SR5, 3.4L, 205k, TJM front bumper, AAIWA 60W Flood/Spot lights, ebay snorkel, Airaid MIT, B&M 70268, OME 881/906 springs, OME absorbers, ToyTec 1" BL, SS Diff Drop/Panhard Bar/Rear Body Mounts/Hi Lift Mount, Andymod 2.0, 20% window tint, Rola basket w/custom mounts, Rear diff breather extender.
Dom8706 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:06 PM #4
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 267
Toy2play is on a distinguished road
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 267
Toy2play is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom8706 View Post
Hmm. I think I'd rather get a 4.88 or a 5.29 with no locker than just a 4.30 with a locker. I know the 4.88 is recommended for 33" tires. Would save money and time too. It's a shame but I am definitely prefer more acceleration over a e locker. Is there a company who makes gears without e lockers that is more recommended than most?
Gears are expensive with labor and it's not a recommended thing to do on your own without proper knowledge and tools to complete the job. I'm running Nitro 4.88 gears, but I'm running a taller 33". Personally I wouldnt recommend any smaller than a 33 on 4.88. Your freeway RPMs are going to be high and you'll get worse gas milage. When I regeared, I didnt see a huge acceleration increase. If that's what you are going for, it's not worth the money imo, especially with how little of a increase in tire size. That's my take on it. These trucks are just not fast.
__________________
97 Charged, lifted, armored, geared, locked SR5.
Toy2play is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 12:26 PM #5
Dom8706's Avatar
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
Dom8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2play View Post
Gears are expensive with labor and it's not a recommended thing to do on your own without proper knowledge and tools to complete the job. I'm running Nitro 4.88 gears, but I'm running a taller 33". Personally I wouldnt recommend any smaller than a 33 on 4.88. Your freeway RPMs are going to be high and you'll get worse gas milage. When I regeared, I didnt see a huge acceleration increase. If that's what you are going for, it's not worth the money imo, especially with how little of a increase in tire size. That's my take on it. These trucks are just not fast.
While I'm not to worried about being able to do the job or not you make some very good points about tire size, gears and hwy speeds. I didn't even think about that.
__________________
02 T4R SR5, 3.4L, 205k, TJM front bumper, AAIWA 60W Flood/Spot lights, ebay snorkel, Airaid MIT, B&M 70268, OME 881/906 springs, OME absorbers, ToyTec 1" BL, SS Diff Drop/Panhard Bar/Rear Body Mounts/Hi Lift Mount, Andymod 2.0, 20% window tint, Rola basket w/custom mounts, Rear diff breather extender.
Dom8706 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:47 PM #6
3bears 3bears is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: north east of Fairbanks Alaska
Posts: 1,926
Real Name: Joshua 3 Bears
3bears has a spectacular aura about 3bears has a spectacular aura about 3bears has a spectacular aura about
3bears 3bears is online now
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: north east of Fairbanks Alaska
Posts: 1,926
Real Name: Joshua 3 Bears
3bears has a spectacular aura about 3bears has a spectacular aura about 3bears has a spectacular aura about
looks like you have done a lot to your rig, it seems like you are setting up for more off road adventures. So gearing could also be a choice for that. YOU can buy drop in diffs with different gears. even limieted slips,,,arb lockers etc. Even timmy has a video on dropping in different diffs.
The 4runners are pretty capable without lockers for lots of people. I howevevr played in mud and snow on back roads near Hoodo and McKenzie pass, ( ranger, retired moved to alaska last year) so I put in a locker and it gave me a little more back road access and a sence of security since I travel alone a lot. There are some beautiful forest service roads in that area of Oregon. as well as your area and the majority can be hit without a locker in summer. The locker I use alot up here in the winter...
__________________
2000 SR-5 V6 Auto . Desert Dune, Spectre intake, Borla muffler, Magnafine tranny filter, B&M cooler, Talls, KYB, Airlift 1000, DRL delete, Big 3 wire, full rack, TBU, Swapped in Elocker, some LEDs, PIAA headlights, , Amsoil
3bears is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 01:50 PM #7
WrenchTech's Avatar
WrenchTech WrenchTech is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Lake Geneva, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 60
Real Name: Matt S.
WrenchTech is on a distinguished road
WrenchTech WrenchTech is offline
Member
WrenchTech's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Lake Geneva, Wisconsin USA
Posts: 60
Real Name: Matt S.
WrenchTech is on a distinguished road
I’m pretty sure that some second and third generation Toyota pick up trucks that came from the factory with 31 inch tires were equipped with 4.56 gears. I think that’s the right gear for your set up.

Remember, it’s going to cost you around $2500 to re-gear and get a locking differential installed.

By the way, did you try reading the axle code off of the vehicle ID label on your door frame?

Last edited by WrenchTech; 06-01-2020 at 02:14 PM.
WrenchTech is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 02:12 PM #8
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 267
Toy2play is on a distinguished road
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 267
Toy2play is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom8706 View Post
While I'm not to worried about being able to do the job or not you make some very good points about tire size, gears and hwy speeds. I didn't even think about that.
I sometimes wish that I went with 4.56 gears and a smaller/lighter tire. Weight just kills these little 3.4 engines. Knowing what I know and where I overland and the terrain i encounter, I would be very conscious of weight, only lifting the minimum amount, and a good light weight rim/combo that still can handle the terrain. Gas milage is very important to me now and wish I had more range when out in the bush.

Just give you an idea, my RPMs at 73-74 MPH is just under 2700 if I remember correctly.
Yours will be higher, jump on the freeway and turn O/D off to give you an idea where your RPMs may be. If you can find a tire that aligns with your driving habits that is a lighter tire, you'll be much better off. Going out to buy a heavy mud tire cause they look cool will have negative side effects that may not be worth it, including worse gas milage, decreased acceleration, more wear and tear.
__________________
97 Charged, lifted, armored, geared, locked SR5.
Toy2play is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:36 PM #9
GetitOffroad GetitOffroad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Fountain Hills
Posts: 31
GetitOffroad is on a distinguished road
GetitOffroad GetitOffroad is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Fountain Hills
Posts: 31
GetitOffroad is on a distinguished road
I'm pondering a gear change too but also considering a transfer case with 4.7 ratio. I dont know enough about them yet but currently the stock transfer case ratio is too high for any serious wheeling.

If I keep the current 4.10 ratio with my 265 tires and get a lower crawl ratio of 4.7 sounds like the best of both worlds.
GetitOffroad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 05:53 PM #10
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 951
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck is a jewel in the rough Bad Luck is a jewel in the rough Bad Luck is a jewel in the rough Bad Luck is a jewel in the rough
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 951
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck is a jewel in the rough Bad Luck is a jewel in the rough Bad Luck is a jewel in the rough Bad Luck is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dom8706 View Post
I honestly dont know what gear ratio i currently have. I know the spin test i just havent cared enough to do it. I have 265/70/16 tires on now and i plan on putting 265/75/16s on there after i get done with this 1 inch body lift and save up few more bucks. Its a 18 year old v6 so i know i shouldn't expect much acceleration but i figured with slightly bigger tires i might as well up the gears and might as well make it a e locker.

Any recommendations for the front and the rear? I dont know much about the diff gears. Just what it kind of looks like and how to change the fluid on them.
So you want to regear for 265/75R16? Are you planning on going with a bigger tire than that eventually?
__________________
2000 Limited V6 Auto E-Locker
Bad Luck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:26 PM #11
Dom8706's Avatar
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
Dom8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3bears View Post
looks like you have done a lot to your rig, it seems like you are setting up for more off road adventures. So gearing could also be a choice for that. YOU can buy drop in diffs with different gears. even limieted slips,,,arb lockers etc. Even timmy has a video on dropping in different diffs.
The 4runners are pretty capable without lockers for lots of people. I howevevr played in mud and snow on back roads near Hoodo and McKenzie pass, ( ranger, retired moved to alaska last year) so I put in a locker and it gave me a little more back road access and a sence of security since I travel alone a lot. There are some beautiful forest service roads in that area of Oregon. as well as your area and the majority can be hit without a locker in summer. The locker I use alot up here in the winter...
Thats a valid point. A lot of the off roading i do is on the old logging roads up in Tillamook Forest off of hwy 6 and some roads off of hwy 26. But i also LOVE to find mud. Which i know the locker would be nice for but the center diff lock works well too. I didnt realize it would be this labor intensive. She is also my DD so she cant really be out of commission for more than a weekend.
__________________
02 T4R SR5, 3.4L, 205k, TJM front bumper, AAIWA 60W Flood/Spot lights, ebay snorkel, Airaid MIT, B&M 70268, OME 881/906 springs, OME absorbers, ToyTec 1" BL, SS Diff Drop/Panhard Bar/Rear Body Mounts/Hi Lift Mount, Andymod 2.0, 20% window tint, Rola basket w/custom mounts, Rear diff breather extender.
Dom8706 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:30 PM #12
Dom8706's Avatar
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
Dom8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WrenchTech View Post
Iím pretty sure that some second and third generation Toyota pick up trucks that came from the factory with 31 inch tires were equipped with 4.56 gears. I think thatís the right gear for your set up.

Remember, itís going to cost you around $2500 to re-gear and get a locking differential installed.

By the way, did you try reading the axle code off of the vehicle ID label on your door frame?
Axle code VZN185L-GKPGKA. From what i understand it could be 3.9, 4.1, or 4.3

$2500 is definitely a little more than i thought it would cost to get a locker in.. I may be in over my head with this. I honestly thought it would be as easy as taking the diff cover off and changing out some parts.
__________________
02 T4R SR5, 3.4L, 205k, TJM front bumper, AAIWA 60W Flood/Spot lights, ebay snorkel, Airaid MIT, B&M 70268, OME 881/906 springs, OME absorbers, ToyTec 1" BL, SS Diff Drop/Panhard Bar/Rear Body Mounts/Hi Lift Mount, Andymod 2.0, 20% window tint, Rola basket w/custom mounts, Rear diff breather extender.
Dom8706 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:37 PM #13
Dom8706's Avatar
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
Dom8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2play View Post
I sometimes wish that I went with 4.56 gears and a smaller/lighter tire. Weight just kills these little 3.4 engines. Knowing what I know and where I overland and the terrain i encounter, I would be very conscious of weight, only lifting the minimum amount, and a good light weight rim/combo that still can handle the terrain. Gas milage is very important to me now and wish I had more range when out in the bush.

Just give you an idea, my RPMs at 73-74 MPH is just under 2700 if I remember correctly.
Yours will be higher, jump on the freeway and turn O/D off to give you an idea where your RPMs may be. If you can find a tire that aligns with your driving habits that is a lighter tire, you'll be much better off. Going out to buy a heavy mud tire cause they look cool will have negative side effects that may not be worth it, including worse gas milage, decreased acceleration, more wear and tear.
Thank you for this. Some times im thinking about the next big thing that i can do to my rig that i forget to consider what is more logical since she is also my Daily Driver.

I do have the 2 inch coilover lift and a 1 inch body lift on the way. I wont do any more lifting after that.

I hit about 67ish at 2k rpm with od on. 70 at 3100ish rpm with od off. Was not a fan of how high the rpm was and how much i could hear it. I do a lot of hwy driving too so that would get annoying quick.

Do you think just bumping up to 265/75/16 would have a noticeable difference with current gears?
__________________
02 T4R SR5, 3.4L, 205k, TJM front bumper, AAIWA 60W Flood/Spot lights, ebay snorkel, Airaid MIT, B&M 70268, OME 881/906 springs, OME absorbers, ToyTec 1" BL, SS Diff Drop/Panhard Bar/Rear Body Mounts/Hi Lift Mount, Andymod 2.0, 20% window tint, Rola basket w/custom mounts, Rear diff breather extender.

Last edited by Dom8706; 06-01-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Dom8706 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:38 PM #14
Dom8706's Avatar
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Dom8706 Dom8706 is offline
Member
Dom8706's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Washington County, OR
Posts: 101
Dom8706 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Luck View Post
So you want to regear for 265/75R16? Are you planning on going with a bigger tire than that eventually?
No i dont plan on going any bigger than 265/75/16. I just read on a few posts they fit nicely on these rigs.
__________________
02 T4R SR5, 3.4L, 205k, TJM front bumper, AAIWA 60W Flood/Spot lights, ebay snorkel, Airaid MIT, B&M 70268, OME 881/906 springs, OME absorbers, ToyTec 1" BL, SS Diff Drop/Panhard Bar/Rear Body Mounts/Hi Lift Mount, Andymod 2.0, 20% window tint, Rola basket w/custom mounts, Rear diff breather extender.

Last edited by Dom8706; 06-01-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Dom8706 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 10:52 PM #15
UnderFire's Avatar
UnderFire UnderFire is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dayton, OR
Posts: 2,995
UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about
UnderFire UnderFire is offline
Senior Member
UnderFire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dayton, OR
Posts: 2,995
UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about UnderFire has a spectacular aura about
My advice to you if you're set on a factory elocker setup would be to install a setup with matching factory gears. Your tire size will be around 32", not near enough to warrant a regear. This is coming from someone who's perfectly fine with 3.4, auto, 4.10s and 35's. But I've had just about every setup your can think of with the same tire size and 33's as well, 4.56, 4.88, 3.73, 3.58, etc. I 100% would not regear a truck with 33s.

If you're expecting the gears to somehow make you feel like your truck is a rocket ship you are sorely mistaken. The drawbacks of high cruising RPM and being basically stuck in higher gears at lower speeds due to the engine being wound out will outweigh any gains in acceleration. You are better off staying close to stock overall.

Grimmjeeper has a great calculator that you can use to figure out all the numbers gear wise.

There are also a lot of locker options people on this forum choose to not explore. Mechanical lockers are my preference, the selectable lockers do work though, but with a chance of failure I don't necessarily like.

Sent from my JSN-L23 using Tapatalk
__________________
'97 3RZ 5 Speed "FrankenRunner" (Build Thread) - Dormant

The "shitmobile" 500$ 3RZ Auto 4Runner - (Saved from the Scrapyard: Resurrecting a 500$ 3rd Gen

02 Tacoma Double Cab, mid-travel, locked, armored, supercharged and riced. (Longbed and 5 speed in the works)
UnderFire is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
gears , locker , ratio , slightly , tires

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ARB Locker (RD132) Gear ratio? Tstinson General Discussions 3 03-11-2017 01:10 PM
WTB: E-locker Swap Parts (Pumpkin or rear axle - 4.10 ratio) NoVAphotog Want to Buy/Trade 1 12-23-2016 11:42 AM
E-Locker carrier 4.10 ratio Singtoe Classifieds - buy & sell (no commercial ads please) 7 04-28-2011 06:40 AM
WTB: factory e-locker, 4:10 gear ratio shawnstcyr Want to Buy/Trade 3 03-31-2010 11:26 PM
Rear, Front Diff locker and ratio questions JuanSJO 3rd gen T4Rs 6 04-18-2007 09:21 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:39 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020