User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-17-2020, 02:00 PM #1
T4topher's Avatar
T4topher T4topher is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Francisco Ca
Posts: 600
T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about
T4topher T4topher is offline
Member
T4topher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Francisco Ca
Posts: 600
T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about
Throttle dead zone

Iíve noticed on my trips up to Tahoe once I start hitting the steep grades I sort of hit a throttle dead zone. I feel like I notice it more when itís really cold out. Basically Iíll be going about 45-50mph and unless I put the pedal all the way touching the floor the rpms/speed wonít budge. Even when I do put it to the floor it downshifts and speeds up maybe 2-3mph but then goes right back to how it was. Turning the ect/od on or off doesnít really have much effect either. Is this normal? Anything I should check?
__________________
T4Tophers build (click here)
T4topher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:36 PM #2
jgue467's Avatar
jgue467 jgue467 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,741
jgue467 has a spectacular aura about jgue467 has a spectacular aura about jgue467 has a spectacular aura about
jgue467 jgue467 is offline
Senior Member
jgue467's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 2,741
jgue467 has a spectacular aura about jgue467 has a spectacular aura about jgue467 has a spectacular aura about
ECT only adjusts shift points (speed) to be higher so the rpms increase between shifts allowing for faster acceleration (more power developed at higher Rs).

Now the OD is specifically designed to be used when in top 'gear' (OD), depressing the button should immediately drop the transmission into locked 3rd gear and immediately increase the rpms.

For example, in my unit on a steeper grade, when I start up it i may be traveling 70 with about 2150 rpms, when I depress the OD, I can feel the downshift and RPMS increase to around 3100-3300 (can't remember exactly but around there), it is very evident.

Then because the engine is developing much more HP and torque, it Easily begins to accelerate as I climb, it will go as fast as I want, so i have to let off the pedal pressure to hold 70. That is how is should work, anyone with other experiences?
__________________
2001 Limited 4WD - 328K - SunfireRed\Thunder Cloud; - 265/75/16 Michelin A/T2s - Fat Pat's 1.5" BL, ZERO RUST - StopTech ANGLED rotors - Magnefine trans filter - In series trans cooler, ORIGINAL: paint, engine, 4wd, trans, mstr cyl & brake system, rear axle seals, A/C, steering pump, steering rack, front/center/rear diffs, all electric motors, seat heaters and so on. WooHoo!!
Oh yeah, GO LONGHORNS!
jgue467 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 02:48 PM #3
sleepydad's Avatar
sleepydad sleepydad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,194
Real Name: Andy ಠ_ಠ
sleepydad is a name known to all sleepydad is a name known to all sleepydad is a name known to all sleepydad is a name known to all sleepydad is a name known to all sleepydad is a name known to all
sleepydad sleepydad is offline
Senior Member
sleepydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,194
Real Name: Andy ಠ_ಠ
sleepydad is a name known to all sleepydad is a name known to all sleepydad is a name known to all sleepydad is a name known to all sleepydad is a name known to all sleepydad is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4topher View Post
Iíve noticed on my trips up to Tahoe once I start hitting the steep grades I sort of hit a throttle dead zone. I feel like I notice it more when itís really cold out. Basically Iíll be going about 45-50mph and unless I put the pedal all the way touching the floor the rpms/speed wonít budge. Even when I do put it to the floor it downshifts and speeds up maybe 2-3mph but then goes right back to how it was. Turning the ect/od on or off doesnít really have much effect either. Is this normal? Anything I should check?
you might want to check this little rubber part of the cable assembly? The peddle is much more responsive when the rubber grommet is not all busted up. A dead spot is kind of what I would call it... could be worth a quick look?

sleepydad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:14 PM #4
T4topher's Avatar
T4topher T4topher is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Francisco Ca
Posts: 600
T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about
T4topher T4topher is offline
Member
T4topher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Francisco Ca
Posts: 600
T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydad View Post
you might want to check this little rubber part of the cable assembly? The peddle is much more responsive when the rubber grommet is not all busted up. A dead spot is kind of what I would call it... could be worth a quick look?

Iíll start with the throttle cable and see if that does anything. It definitely needs to be replaced anyways cause i have it adjusted all the way and it still has a bit of slack in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgue467 View Post
ECT only adjusts shift points (speed) to be higher so the rpms increase between shifts allowing for faster acceleration (more power developed at higher Rs).

Now the OD is specifically designed to be used when in top 'gear' (OD), depressing the button should immediately drop the transmission into locked 3rd gear and immediately increase the rpms.

For example, in my unit on a steeper grade, when I start up it i may be traveling 70 with about 2150 rpms, when I depress the OD, I can feel the downshift and RPMS increase to around 3100-3300 (can't remember exactly but around there), it is very evident.

Then because the engine is developing much more HP and torque, it Easily begins to accelerate as I climb, it will go as fast as I want, so i have to let off the pedal pressure to hold 70. That is how is should work, anyone with other experiences?
Yea I mean there is a very slight difference in rpms when I hit OD on/off but the speed stays the same no matter how much I press on the pedal unless I literally floor it. I only really have this problem once the grade gets really steep/very high elevation (6-7k elevation). Otherwise on most grades itís fine and I can accelerate to 70+.
__________________
T4Tophers build (click here)
T4topher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 04:23 PM #5
RandyBobandy's Avatar
RandyBobandy RandyBobandy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 393
RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about
RandyBobandy RandyBobandy is offline
Member
RandyBobandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 393
RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about
I had something very similar going on pretty much the entire time I owned my 4runner, I always assumed it was just because I run bigger tires and the engine was struggling to pull up steep hills, Id usually put the shifter in 2 when it was still an auto to make it up some of the steeper ones at a reasonable speed. Turned out it was a coil pack on its way out, however it took forever to show any symptoms other than the poor throttle response on hills, once it actually started intermittently missing and threw a code I replaced the pack and noticed a significant power increase on those hills and no longer had to put the shifter into 2

I wouldn't just throw parts at it thinking it could be a coil, but you could always pull them out and test them with a multimeter to see if they are in spec, or put a new set of wires on if it's due for those
RandyBobandy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:33 PM #6
T4topher's Avatar
T4topher T4topher is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Francisco Ca
Posts: 600
T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about
T4topher T4topher is offline
Member
T4topher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: San Francisco Ca
Posts: 600
T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about T4topher has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBobandy View Post
I had something very similar going on pretty much the entire time I owned my 4runner, I always assumed it was just because I run bigger tires and the engine was struggling to pull up steep hills, Id usually put the shifter in 2 when it was still an auto to make it up some of the steeper ones at a reasonable speed. Turned out it was a coil pack on its way out, however it took forever to show any symptoms other than the poor throttle response on hills, once it actually started intermittently missing and threw a code I replaced the pack and noticed a significant power increase on those hills and no longer had to put the shifter into 2

I wouldn't just throw parts at it thinking it could be a coil, but you could always pull them out and test them with a multimeter to see if they are in spec, or put a new set of wires on if it's due for those
Definitely sounds similar to my situation, I’ll test the coil packs when I get home. I agree about not throwing parts at it.
__________________
T4Tophers build (click here)

Last edited by T4topher; 11-17-2020 at 05:40 PM.
T4topher is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 05:59 PM #7
RandyBobandy's Avatar
RandyBobandy RandyBobandy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 393
RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about
RandyBobandy RandyBobandy is offline
Member
RandyBobandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 393
RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4topher View Post
Definitely sounds similar to my situation, Iíll test the coil packs when I get home. I agree about not throwing parts at it.
another thing to look out for is the pack might test within spec and still be bad, mine tested fine unless I had been driving for like 30+ minutes and they were nice and hot, which is when the intermittent miss would start. If that's the case with yours you might just have to leave it alone until it throws a code, or grab one from the junkyard and swap it in for one at a time to see if it gets better
RandyBobandy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-18-2020, 12:40 AM #8
Quantumkiwi's Avatar
Quantumkiwi Quantumkiwi is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Northern NM
Age: 23
Posts: 210
Quantumkiwi will become famous soon enough
Quantumkiwi Quantumkiwi is offline
Member
Quantumkiwi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: Northern NM
Age: 23
Posts: 210
Quantumkiwi will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBobandy View Post
another thing to look out for is the pack might test within spec and still be bad, mine tested fine unless I had been driving for like 30+ minutes and they were nice and hot, which is when the intermittent miss would start. If that's the case with yours you might just have to leave it alone until it throws a code, or grab one from the junkyard and swap it in for one at a time to see if it gets better
That's a hot profile pic there dude.
__________________
2000 SR5 - Build Thread
Quantumkiwi is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:43 PM #9
RandyBobandy's Avatar
RandyBobandy RandyBobandy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 393
RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about
RandyBobandy RandyBobandy is offline
Member
RandyBobandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 393
RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about RandyBobandy has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantumkiwi View Post
That's a hot profile pic there dude.
A man's gotta eat.
RandyBobandy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 11:13 PM #10
brillo_76's Avatar
brillo_76 brillo_76 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Western PA
Posts: 2,657
Real Name: Jon
brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold
brillo_76 brillo_76 is offline
Senior Member
brillo_76's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Western PA
Posts: 2,657
Real Name: Jon
brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold brillo_76 is a splendid one to behold
I have a thread here with all coil specs for the v6 if you search for it. I never had anyone get me the 4 cylinder specs.

Sent from my SM-J337V using Tapatalk
__________________
1997 4X4 V6 5 Speed Sr5 4 Runner (The Tank)
1997 4X4 V6 Red limited 4 Runner (97 Limited)
1998 4X4 V6 Sr5 Red 4 Runner (98 Tetanus1 )
1998 4X4 V6 Sr5 Silver 4 Runner (98 Tetanus2)
2001 4X4 V6 Sport Green 4 Runner (01 Green Sport)
brillo_76 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dead , floor , put , throttle , zone

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dead battery = Dead 4runner? PedroV 4th Gen T4Rs 10 09-11-2020 10:06 PM
dead throttle, dash lights on after trailer plug mis-wire Malamute 4th Gen T4Rs 4 04-02-2020 08:24 AM
2002 6cyl. 175k Vacuum leak, Throttle Body throttle lever? Hollywood1 3rd gen T4Rs 3 12-29-2018 06:25 PM
2002 SR5 - Brake Pedal Dead Zone JewFro 3rd gen T4Rs 12 11-27-2017 05:24 PM
Dead spot on throttle, HELP!!! rockguy Classic T4Rs 8 06-18-2012 03:55 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:22 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020