User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-20-2020, 05:34 PM #1
thezentree's Avatar
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
thezentree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
Help me identify this squeal (video inside) - ETA solved

Figured it out. Hub seal(s?). See update down below

Squeal - YouTube

Not sure how to embed or I would...

Definitely seems to be coming from the hub or brake, and I did wheel bearings about 1000 miles ago. Only present at ~5mph or below.

Did I screw up installing one of the seals? Wheel bearing? The wheel and spacer are ambient temp after 20 minutes of driving, so I don’t think the bearing is bad.

I hosed the brakes out with the hose and then a bunch of brake cleaner, so I don’t think there’s some crap stuck in there, but who knows.
__________________
2001 SR5 - Like OEM, only worse (gears, e-locker, armor)

Last edited by thezentree; 12-06-2020 at 03:49 PM.
thezentree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 06:18 PM #2
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 1,472
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck is a glorious beacon of light Bad Luck is a glorious beacon of light Bad Luck is a glorious beacon of light Bad Luck is a glorious beacon of light Bad Luck is a glorious beacon of light
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 1,472
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck is a glorious beacon of light Bad Luck is a glorious beacon of light Bad Luck is a glorious beacon of light Bad Luck is a glorious beacon of light Bad Luck is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezentree View Post
Squeal - YouTube

Not sure how to embed or I would...

Definitely seems to be coming from the hub or brake, and I did wheel bearings about 1000 miles ago. Only present at ~5mph or below.

Did I screw up installing one of the seals? Wheel bearing? The wheel and spacer are ambient temp after 20 minutes of driving, so I don’t think the bearing is bad.

I hosed the brakes out with the hose and then a bunch of brake cleaner, so I don’t think there’s some crap stuck in there, but who knows.
It sounds like a squeaky or dry seal to me. Are you confident it's coming from the hub area and not the differential? Does it continue to happen if you keep the wheel spinning in the same direction?
__________________
2000 Limited V6 Auto E-Locker
Bad Luck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 07:18 PM #3
HiLife HiLife is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Trying to figure this out
Posts: 1,050
HiLife has a spectacular aura about HiLife has a spectacular aura about
HiLife HiLife is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Trying to figure this out
Posts: 1,050
HiLife has a spectacular aura about HiLife has a spectacular aura about
I've gotten good results using a piece of fuel hose from my ear to the area making a noise. The hose helps block out the ambient noise and focus on the area where you point the hose at. Good luck
HiLife is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 09:00 PM #4
thezentree's Avatar
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
thezentree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Luck View Post
It sounds like a squeaky or dry seal to me. Are you confident it's coming from the hub area and not the differential? Does it continue to happen if you keep the wheel spinning in the same direction?
Yeah thatís what it sounds like to me too, and it definitely seems like itís coming from the hub. I noticed it this morning when I stopped at the guard shack at work, just a ďsqueak squeak squeakĒ that repeats with wheel speed up until about 5mph.

It squeals both forward and backwards and happens every time I spin the wheel with any force.

Iím gonna be so pissed if I get to do wheel bearings again because one of those seals is bad...
__________________
2001 SR5 - Like OEM, only worse (gears, e-locker, armor)
thezentree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 04:34 AM #5
SJC4Runner SJC4Runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Posts: 71
SJC4Runner is an unknown quantity at this point
SJC4Runner SJC4Runner is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: San Juan Capistrano, CA
Posts: 71
SJC4Runner is an unknown quantity at this point
While I have not heard that exact squeak when working on my car, I have heard something similar. I would confirm that it wasn't your brakes or wheel first. When I had to do my rear axle seals, there was fluid that had leaked onto the rear brakes and would cause them to do some weird binding and squeaking.

I would pull the wheel and brake pads off first, then see if it still squeaks. If it went away, leave the pads off and put the wheel back on to add weight to the axle and see if it comes back.

If you think it's the brakes making the squeaking check the pads and then make sure the brake pistons haven't seized. If you have fluid on the pads they will need to be replaced.

This is probably just wishful thinking, but something to check before you really get into it.
__________________
1999 Toyota 4Runner Limited V6 4x4 w/elocker and 231's!
SJC4Runner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 03:35 PM #6
thezentree's Avatar
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
thezentree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJC4Runner View Post
While I have not heard that exact squeak when working on my car, I have heard something similar. I would confirm that it wasn't your brakes or wheel first. When I had to do my rear axle seals, there was fluid that had leaked onto the rear brakes and would cause them to do some weird binding and squeaking.

I would pull the wheel and brake pads off first, then see if it still squeaks. If it went away, leave the pads off and put the wheel back on to add weight to the axle and see if it comes back.

If you think it's the brakes making the squeaking check the pads and then make sure the brake pistons haven't seized. If you have fluid on the pads they will need to be replaced.

This is probably just wishful thinking, but something to check before you really get into it.
I think itís in the brakes now, but still not sure. I took the caliper off and hosed everything down with brake cleaner. I couldnít replicate squeal in the video I did yesterday both with the caliper off and with everything assembled and the wheel back on, but I had compressed the pistons to get the caliper back on. Itís squealing again now that Iíve used the brakes to drive.

So, I guess maybe itís something embedded in the brake pad? If itís one of the hub seals, itíll wear down the high spot eventually and if thatís the case itíll need a new wheel bearing anyway, so Iíll just ride it until the bearing starts howling or I canít stand the squeal anymore; whichever happens first.

Whatever. Thanks for listening to me rant haha.
__________________
2001 SR5 - Like OEM, only worse (gears, e-locker, armor)
thezentree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:44 PM #7
Gongshow's Avatar
Gongshow Gongshow is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Age: 39
Posts: 9
Real Name: Brian
Gongshow is on a distinguished road
Gongshow Gongshow is offline
Junior Member
Gongshow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Lynnwood, WA
Age: 39
Posts: 9
Real Name: Brian
Gongshow is on a distinguished road
I don't believe that the 4WD models have a wheel bearing on the front as traditional 2WD (with RWD) vehicles would have. You have the CV half-shafts in order to accommodate the IFS. If it was something where one of the boots was torn, you'd certainly see a bunch of grease schmoo flung everywhere. From the video and how everything is situated, I'm going to guess that we're looking at the LF (driver's side). That's also where the front drive shaft is located. Have you looked at the U-Joints? Mine started to squeak/chirp when they were going bad, then I noticed a rougher ride, then when it got real bad, the damn thing shook like it was about to come apart at freeway speed.

When you took the brakes apart, did you see anything foreign embedded in the pads? How about the two pins that the pads slide on, are those smooth and not binding up one of the pads?

I'd imagine that if the seals were dry that you'd have long smoked the shit out of them after 1,000 miles; either that or "yay for Toyota durability". The thing that I'm also considering is that it only happens at under 5-10 mph. I think that at freeway speeds, dry seals would be howling like an animal being skinned alive.

Does it make any noise if you engage either 4-Hi or 4-Lo? I'm far from any mechanic or Toyota specialist, but I'm brainstorming a few possibilities.
__________________
"Arguing like an idiot is like playing chess with a pigeon; no matter how good you are at chess, the pigeon will knock over the pieces, **** all over the board and then strut around like it's victorious." http://millcreekmasons.org
Gongshow is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:50 PM #8
thezentree's Avatar
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
thezentree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gongshow View Post
I don't believe that the 4WD models have a wheel bearing on the front as traditional 2WD (with RWD) vehicles would have. You have the CV half-shafts in order to accommodate the IFS. If it was something where one of the boots was torn, you'd certainly see a bunch of grease schmoo flung everywhere. From the video and how everything is situated, I'm going to guess that we're looking at the LF (driver's side). That's also where the front drive shaft is located. Have you looked at the U-Joints? Mine started to squeak/chirp when they were going bad, then I noticed a rougher ride, then when it got real bad, the damn thing shook like it was about to come apart at freeway speed.

When you took the brakes apart, did you see anything foreign embedded in the pads? How about the two pins that the pads slide on, are those smooth and not binding up one of the pads?

I'd imagine that if the seals were dry that you'd have long smoked the shit out of them after 1,000 miles; either that or "yay for Toyota durability". The thing that I'm also considering is that it only happens at under 5-10 mph. I think that at freeway speeds, dry seals would be howling like an animal being skinned alive.

Does it make any noise if you engage either 4-Hi or 4-Lo? I'm far from any mechanic or Toyota specialist, but I'm brainstorming a few possibilities.

They do have a wheel bearing up front and it's a pain the ass to change. The bearing is pressed into the knuckle, the hub is pressed into the bearing, and the CV outer stub engages the splines on the ID of the hub. Torquing the nut on the CV outer holds the whole shebang together. There is an inner seal (rides against the CV outer) and an outer seal (rides against the inside of the hub flange) that get replaced with the bearings, and my concern is that I jacked up one of those seals when I was putting everything back together. I think you're right though, for as many miles as I've put on it since I did all that, I think an improperly installed seal would be long since worn down past the point of making noise.

I don't think it's the front DS u-joints either because I can cause the squeal by spinning the wheel manually and the driveshaft doesn't spin, although it does sound a lot like a u-joint going bad. That was actually what I was thinking it was at first until I isolated to the front left hub. They also get greased fairly regularly and seem to be in decent shape. I haven't tried 4wd, but it really seems like it's coming from the LF hub/brake, and the furthest "upstream" in the 4wd system it could be is the left side front diff seal. Its frequency is wheel RPM, and not 4.56x wheel RPM, which means it's on the wheel side of the ring and pinion.

At this point I'm leaning towards something that's just really embedded in one of the pads. I didn't see anything when I took it apart, but it might not have to be anything big. If it's still squealing after Thanksgiving I'll give it another look.

/giant wall of text about dirt in my brakes lol
__________________
2001 SR5 - Like OEM, only worse (gears, e-locker, armor)

Last edited by thezentree; 11-22-2020 at 06:55 PM.
thezentree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:51 PM #9
Boognish_Forever's Avatar
Boognish_Forever Boognish_Forever is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 148
Boognish_Forever is on a distinguished road
Boognish_Forever Boognish_Forever is offline
Member
Boognish_Forever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 148
Boognish_Forever is on a distinguished road
Jack it up and spray some water or brake cleaner on the rotor near the pads, spin the tire and see if the sound goes away. You could also spray some water on the cv boots to see if that makes it stop. Sounds like a rubber squeaking noise.
Boognish_Forever is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:49 PM #10
thezentree's Avatar
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
thezentree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boognish_Forever View Post
Jack it up and spray some water or brake cleaner on the rotor near the pads, spin the tire and see if the sound goes away. You could also spray some water on the cv boots to see if that makes it stop. Sounds like a rubber squeaking noise.
I did put some WD40 on the CV boots when I took that video to get rid of the creaking from them, definitely not the CV boots rubbing on each other (the bellows don't touch with weight on wheels). Brake cleaner/hose did not eliminate the squeal.
__________________
2001 SR5 - Like OEM, only worse (gears, e-locker, armor)
thezentree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-06-2020, 03:48 PM #11
thezentree's Avatar
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
thezentree thezentree is offline
Member
thezentree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 907
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree has a spectacular aura about thezentree has a spectacular aura about
dammit

Youíll notice this is the right side, not the left side as seen in the OP, which means I get to take the other side apart and check it too.

I apparently didnít fully seat the hub seal, so it ate up the hub seal AND the seal on the CV outer stub. I have a couple spare CVs, but gotta wait on new hub seals to come in. I am really hopeful that the hub-side seals are good....
Attached Images
Help me identify this squeal (video inside) - ETA solved-4e13da94-bce1-48ea-8f05-52788e55a965-jpg 
__________________
2001 SR5 - Like OEM, only worse (gears, e-locker, armor)
thezentree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bearing , brake , donít , driving , wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Can Anyone Identify This Sound (Video) jxb750 4th Gen T4Rs 13 02-19-2020 08:06 PM
Grinding Metal Sound - Help Identify Issue (video included) wcellison 4th Gen T4Rs 3 11-28-2019 09:29 AM
Help me identify a LOUD rattle (with video) A.Wilson013 3rd gen T4Rs 17 05-02-2017 07:15 PM
What is the most likely cause of cold engine squeal (see video) mom 3rd gen T4Rs 18 02-02-2014 09:59 PM
Can anyone help me identify this noise? (VIDEO) Zachpins34 3rd gen T4Rs 2 11-06-2011 06:03 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:30 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020