User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-13-2021, 10:21 PM #1
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
Replacement heads

What's a good source for replacement heads? Found some one ebay, mizumo or Odessa heads. Are they any good? Trying to salvage my 99 from a spark plug blowing out the threads bad enough no shop around me will repair. Haven't yet tried any local scrap yards yet but not expecting to find any there.
Thanks
vagrant318 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:17 AM #2
19963.4lsr5 19963.4lsr5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stouchsburg PA
Posts: 4,425
19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all 19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all 19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all 19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all 19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all 19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all
19963.4lsr5 19963.4lsr5 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stouchsburg PA
Posts: 4,425
19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all 19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all 19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all 19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all 19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all 19963.4lsr5 is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant318 View Post
What's a good source for replacement heads? Found some one ebay, mizumo or Odessa heads. Are they any good? Trying to salvage my 99 from a spark plug blowing out the threads bad enough no shop around me will repair. Haven't yet tried any local scrap yards yet but not expecting to find any there.
Thanks

My napa has reman heads available I think.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19963.4lsr5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:54 PM #3
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
Called Napa, sounded like they weren't available but said to try back tomorrow
vagrant318 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:57 PM #4
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
I found a passenger side head on eBay, apparently from a wrecked 99 with just under 200k miles, similar to mine. Will get it checked out and cleaned at the Machine shop Monday. Hopefully all goes well and I'll have a running truck again.
BTW Napa, O'Reilly's and AutoZone all never got back to me regarding inquiries about remanufactured heads which didn't appear available anyway
vagrant318 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 10:44 PM #5
TW44LR's Avatar
TW44LR TW44LR is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Utah
Posts: 106
TW44LR is on a distinguished road
TW44LR TW44LR is offline
Member
TW44LR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Utah
Posts: 106
TW44LR is on a distinguished road
Hope it works out, keep us updated!


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TW44LR is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:18 PM #6
mtbtim's Avatar
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 56
Posts: 4,624
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
mtbtim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 56
Posts: 4,624
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future
Dude, just fix the head with a helicoil or time sert. You don't need to replace the head. Here's a video of me performing a heicoil repair on my wife's BMW engine. I would try this type of fix before going through the pains of replacing a head. If you can cancel the Ebay purchase, do it.

In the future if you need parts, check out PNW (Pacific Northwest) 4runner Connection. Josh Young and his business partner part out 3rd and 4th Gens in the state of Washington. They sell parts for fair prices. 登录 Facebook

Boy has the forum dropped off in a big way over the last couple years. Posts like this use to get lots of solid advice very quickly. I can't believe not one person before me suggested trying to fix the head with a helicoil or time sert. I personally haven't been that active on this forum either lately so I guess I can also blame myself for not giving the OP advise in a timely manner that would have saved him time and money. Hopefully my suggestion didn't come too late.

__________________
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it!"

Last edited by mtbtim; 11-27-2021 at 01:31 PM.
mtbtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:37 PM #7
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
I was posting before on another thread about repairing the head. Unfortunately where I live none of the mechanics/shops would touch the Job. Said the threads were way too blown out to helicoil or put in a timesert. Called and stopped in at several shops, explained the situation and they wouldn't do it and couldn't even recommend a shop that would. So with only 180k and the 200k miles maintenance done I figured I'd replace the head before trying a motor swap or selling to a scrap yard..
vagrant318 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:41 PM #8
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
I bought my gaskets and coil pack from yotashop which is somewhere here in Washington but will check that site out too. Thanks for the suggestion
vagrant318 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:49 PM #9
RandyBobandy's Avatar
RandyBobandy RandyBobandy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 501
RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough
RandyBobandy RandyBobandy is offline
Member
RandyBobandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 501
RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtim View Post
Dude, just fix the head with a helicoil or time sert. You don't need to replace the head. Here's a video of me performing a heicoil repair on my wife's BMW engine. I would try this type of fix before going through the pains of replacing a head. If you can cancel the Ebay purchase, do it.

In the future if you need parts, check out PNW (Pacific Northwest) 4runner Connection. Josh Young and his business partner part out 3rd and 4th Gens in the state of Washington. They sell parts for fair prices. 登录 Facebook

Boy has the forum dropped off in a big way over the last couple years. Posts like this use to get lots of solid advice very quickly. I can't believe not one person before me suggested trying to fix the head with a helicoil or time sert. I personally haven't been that active on this forum either lately so I guess I can also blame myself for not giving the OP advise in a timely manner that would have saved him time and money. Hopefully my suggestion didn't come too late.

I think a lot of people quit coming to the forum because you no longer have that sexy porn mustache in your recent videos
RandyBobandy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:50 PM #10
mtbtim's Avatar
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 56
Posts: 4,624
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
mtbtim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 56
Posts: 4,624
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyBobandy View Post
I think a lot of people quit coming to the forum because you no longer have that sexy porn mustache in your recent videos
I'm in the process of growing the porn stache again.
__________________
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it!"
mtbtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 01:57 PM #11
mtbtim's Avatar
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 56
Posts: 4,624
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
mtbtim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 56
Posts: 4,624
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant318 View Post
I was posting before on another thread about repairing the head. Unfortunately where I live none of the mechanics/shops would touch the Job. Said the threads were way too blown out to helicoil or put in a timesert. Called and stopped in at several shops, explained the situation and they wouldn't do it and couldn't even recommend a shop that would. So with only 180k and the 200k miles maintenance done I figured I'd replace the head before trying a motor swap or selling to a scrap yard..
I call bullshit that the threads are supposedly "Too Blown Out". Of course they are blown out because that's why the spark plug shot out in the first place.
Having the threads Too Blown Out is literally impossible because you need to drill a bigger hole into the head and then re-tap for the helicoil or time sert. So, even if the threads were completely gone, it doesn't matter because you're going to be drilling a bigger hole anyway.

Dude, you don't need a shop because it sounds like they all have their heads up their asses anyway giving you shitty advice. Do yourself a favor and watch my video. You can do this job all on your own. Trust me. It's not rocket science.
__________________
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it!"
mtbtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 02:33 PM #12
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
vagrant318 vagrant318 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Posts: 22
vagrant318 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtim View Post
I call bullshit that the threads are supposedly "Too Blown Out". Of course they are blown out because that's why the spark plug shot out in the first place.
Having the threads Too Blown Out is literally impossible because you need to drill a bigger hole into the head and then re-tap for the helicoil or time sert. So, even if the threads were completely gone, it doesn't matter because you're going to be drilling a bigger hole anyway.

Dude, you don't need a shop because it sounds like they all have their heads up their asses anyway giving you shitty advice. Do yourself a favor and watch my video. You can do this job all on your own. Trust me. It's not rocket science.
I'm watching the video now.
So what's the maximum size the buggered out hole can be? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. This being not that uncommon of an occurrence I'd expect they would be able to fix if possible.
That being said the replacement head has already arrived with all the gaskets etc
vagrant318 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:41 PM #13
mtbtim's Avatar
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 56
Posts: 4,624
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Senior Member
mtbtim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 56
Posts: 4,624
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future mtbtim has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagrant318 View Post
I'm watching the video now.
So what's the maximum size the buggered out hole can be? I'm trying to give them the benefit of the doubt. This being not that uncommon of an occurrence I'd expect they would be able to fix if possible.
That being said the replacement head has already arrived with all the gaskets etc
I can't remember the size drill bit I had to use for the helicoil but it's in the video. if the helicoil or time sert (if you choose) fixes the issue, you can hopefully send the gasket kit back to the Yota Shop for a refund. You'll be out the shipping though. As for the head, that's a whole lot more pricey to send back, provided the seller would even take it back. You could hang onto it or try to resell it yourself.

Dude, at this point, you really have nothing to lose other than a little bit of your time and the cost of the helicoil or time sert kit. The helicoil I installed on my wife's BMW engine has held up for quite some time. If you do the repair right, it could last the rest of the life of the engine.

If you can avoid a head replacement, that would be the best choice because replacing a head is a lot of work or you will end up paying a shop a whole heap of money to do it for you.
__________________
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it!"

Last edited by mtbtim; 11-27-2021 at 03:43 PM.
mtbtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:08 PM #14
Romeo1's Avatar
Romeo1 Romeo1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Idaho
Posts: 229
Romeo1 will become famous soon enough Romeo1 will become famous soon enough
Romeo1 Romeo1 is offline
Member
Romeo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Idaho
Posts: 229
Romeo1 will become famous soon enough Romeo1 will become famous soon enough
Porn stache….lol…. Brown chicken brown cow……hahahaha.

I’m with Tim, you can fix this yourself. I think this is a case of shops have more business than they can even handle with the labor situation. It sucks, but it’s what it is for the time being.

I too may be in the cylinder head mode also. Self inflicted though….Fingers crossed my eBay score pans out.

FYI, The cam seal caps aren’t available separately. Note to self, your an idiot for breaking one….. what a rookie move. I haven’t screwed up that bad that in a good while.
__________________
99’ Black “Highlander” sport, oak, 5VZ auto, 4.30 axle, e-lock, 265/75 Kanati Trail hogs, Bilstein 6112 (2”) front 5160 rear shocks, OME 2906 springs, Durobumps, 4x Inovations front middle rear skid plates, 4XI square TRD tube sliders, lil skips tank skid, lotus dev RCA skids, overland custom sway bar links, kids call it “Vader”
Romeo1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 04:44 PM #15
RandyBobandy's Avatar
RandyBobandy RandyBobandy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 501
RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough
RandyBobandy RandyBobandy is offline
Member
RandyBobandy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Southwest PA
Posts: 501
RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough RandyBobandy is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtim View Post
I'm in the process of growing the porn stache again.
That’s excellent news, I know for a fact that mustache has turned quite a few forum members gay
RandyBobandy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
find , good , heads , replacement , shop

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heads up! The Cold War Kid 3rd gen T4Rs 16 10-12-2019 09:31 AM
What if? Need heads? If so - where? BamaDrewski 3rd gen T4Rs 3 01-17-2017 09:37 PM
Heads up jstim 4th Gen T4Rs 0 07-10-2015 08:16 AM
wtb 5vz heads le03r6 Want to Buy/Trade 1 12-28-2011 08:51 PM
3.4L 5vz heads and block for sale good for replacement or 3.4L conversion! ekoeller Classifieds - buy & sell (no commercial ads please) 1 03-25-2008 09:48 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020