User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-17-2022, 11:58 PM #1
DenverAirport's Avatar
DenverAirport DenverAirport is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 107
DenverAirport will become famous soon enough
DenverAirport DenverAirport is offline
Member
DenverAirport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 107
DenverAirport will become famous soon enough
Steering wheel swap - where to route the horn...

I'm attempting to swap steering wheels from my OE to a Celica wheel I bought on eBay.



I'm hoping to reuse the 4runner cruise control if possible as I didn't get a cruise control lever with the Celica wheel.



While the switch itself looks like it will be able to mount onto the wheel without a problem, one wire (what I believe is the horn) does not have a place. I'm wondering if there is any place I can attach it on the Celica wheel and keep its functionality?


__________________
99' SR5 "Highlander Edition" - 277k - Build thread soon - 4WD, Factory rear locker, 2.5" Dobinsons IMS lift, Camburg UCAs, CJV 9168 TR axles, 199mm TBU, build thread soon...

97' Limited - 250k - Stolen & Found (and Sold) - 4WD, 3" Billstein 5100 lift with OME 881, 890 springs, Diff drop, Camburg UCA's, 231mm TBU, Tom Wood's driveshaft, eimkeith PCK, Champion radiator, Ultraguage
DenverAirport is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 09:29 AM #2
sleepydad's Avatar
sleepydad sleepydad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,437
Real Name: Andy ಠ_ಠ
sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of
sleepydad sleepydad is offline
Senior Member
sleepydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,437
Real Name: Andy ಠ_ಠ
sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAirport View Post
I'm attempting to swap steering wheels from my OE to a Celica wheel I bought on eBay.

I'm hoping to reuse the 4runner cruise control if possible as I didn't get a cruise control lever with the Celica wheel.

While the switch itself looks like it will be able to mount onto the wheel without a problem, one wire (what I believe is the horn) does not have a place. I'm wondering if there is any place I can attach it on the Celica wheel and keep its functionality?

in theory as long as you can bring over all the electrical connections from the 4runner wheel to the celica wheel and re-use the old clock spring it should all just work. you will have to splice in the celica wire for the horn where-ever the 4runner horn was connected. I would guess it's just one wire acting as an open ground? I would have to dig into the wire diagrams to know for sure but pretty sure it's just one wire.

so the loss of the airbag does not bother you?
sleepydad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 11:57 AM #3
DenverAirport's Avatar
DenverAirport DenverAirport is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 107
DenverAirport will become famous soon enough
DenverAirport DenverAirport is offline
Member
DenverAirport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 107
DenverAirport will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydad View Post
in theory as long as you can bring over all the electrical connections from the 4runner wheel to the celica wheel and re-use the old clock spring it should all just work. you will have to splice in the celica wire for the horn where-ever the 4runner horn was connected. I would guess it's just one wire acting as an open ground? I would have to dig into the wire diagrams to know for sure but pretty sure it's just one wire.

so the loss of the airbag does not bother you?

Iíll try to find a pic because I donít have the Celica wiring but it looks like thereís usually an open ground wire on the that is attached to a small metal piece on the upper right side of the wheel. Seems like this could be the horn. I guess Iím struggling a bit to understand how the horn works if itís just an open ground wire. I know if the contacts are made between the airbag cover and the metal inside that triggers the horn but does the wire just sit and act like a ground in this process?

In terms of airbag I have a celica airbag and it fits my original clock spring!
__________________
99' SR5 "Highlander Edition" - 277k - Build thread soon - 4WD, Factory rear locker, 2.5" Dobinsons IMS lift, Camburg UCAs, CJV 9168 TR axles, 199mm TBU, build thread soon...

97' Limited - 250k - Stolen & Found (and Sold) - 4WD, 3" Billstein 5100 lift with OME 881, 890 springs, Diff drop, Camburg UCA's, 231mm TBU, Tom Wood's driveshaft, eimkeith PCK, Champion radiator, Ultraguage
DenverAirport is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 12:48 PM #4
sleepydad's Avatar
sleepydad sleepydad is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,437
Real Name: Andy ಠ_ಠ
sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of
sleepydad sleepydad is offline
Senior Member
sleepydad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 1,437
Real Name: Andy ಠ_ಠ
sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of sleepydad has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAirport View Post
Iíll try to find a pic because I donít have the Celica wiring but it looks like thereís usually an open ground wire on the that is attached to a small metal piece on the upper right side of the wheel. Seems like this could be the horn. I guess Iím struggling a bit to understand how the horn works if itís just an open ground wire. I know if the contacts are made between the airbag cover and the metal inside that triggers the horn but does the wire just sit and act like a ground in this process?

In terms of airbag I have a celica airbag and it fits my original clock spring!
it's just a momentary contact switch, there must be a hot/ground pare for the air bag, then a dedicated ground for the horn. so 3 wires going into the airbag part, 2 wires for the bag, 1 wire for the horn. when you then press the big airbag button it makes contact and returns the ground on the 1 wire coming out. trips relay and the anemic sounding beep happens.
sleepydad is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 01:56 PM #5
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4,639
phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 4,639
phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverAirport View Post
I guess Iím struggling a bit to understand how the horn works if itís just an open ground wire.
Generally:

12V --> Fuse --> (Horn Relay or Horn) --> wire to horn button --> momentary switch (horn 'button') --> ground through steering wheel/column.

The ground connection goes through the steering wheel frame to the steering shaft. The open connection (when horn is not on!) is between the airbag frame and the main steering wheel frame. If you look on the 4Runner airbag mount, you'll see special contacts between it and the steering wheel frame where the actual 'switching' for the horn happens.

You need to figure out how the Celica horn is triggered in/around its airbag frame assembly and attach the red wire to the ungrounded side of that.

-Charlie
__________________
'99 4Runner SR5 Auto - 4WD swapped
'89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
'17 Chevy Volt Premier
'16 Honda Odyssey Elite
Previous: '88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, '03 WRX wagon, '08 Outback XT
phattyduck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-18-2022, 02:56 PM #6
DenverAirport's Avatar
DenverAirport DenverAirport is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 107
DenverAirport will become famous soon enough
DenverAirport DenverAirport is offline
Member
DenverAirport's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Oregon
Posts: 107
DenverAirport will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
Generally:

12V --> Fuse --> (Horn Relay or Horn) --> wire to horn button --> momentary switch (horn 'button') --> ground through steering wheel/column.

The ground connection goes through the steering wheel frame to the steering shaft. The open connection (when horn is not on!) is between the airbag frame and the main steering wheel frame. If you look on the 4Runner airbag mount, you'll see special contacts between it and the steering wheel frame where the actual 'switching' for the horn happens.

You need to figure out how the Celica horn is triggered in/around its airbag frame assembly and attach the red wire to the ungrounded side of that.

-Charlie
This is super helpful! Thank you man. After playing around with this I also think in order to make this connection properly I'm going to have to get a different sized cruise control switch. Will update as soon as I test this out!
__________________
99' SR5 "Highlander Edition" - 277k - Build thread soon - 4WD, Factory rear locker, 2.5" Dobinsons IMS lift, Camburg UCAs, CJV 9168 TR axles, 199mm TBU, build thread soon...

97' Limited - 250k - Stolen & Found (and Sold) - 4WD, 3" Billstein 5100 lift with OME 881, 890 springs, Diff drop, Camburg UCA's, 231mm TBU, Tom Wood's driveshaft, eimkeith PCK, Champion radiator, Ultraguage
DenverAirport is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
celica , cruise , place , steering , wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Steering wheel swap in '10-'13 Matteblack 5th gen T4Rs 1 03-23-2021 12:37 PM
3rd Gen Steering Wheel Swap? ChildrenOfBodom 3rd gen T4Rs 33 01-31-2020 04:35 PM
Steering wheel swap? Theo85 4th Gen T4Rs 3 07-15-2016 03:38 AM
Steering wheel horn connections Sleepy5155 Classic T4Rs 2 04-13-2014 01:08 PM
Steering wheel swap... anyone done it? codyaustin5 5th gen T4Rs 18 05-06-2011 04:17 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020