User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-24-2022, 07:47 PM #1
AJPuleo23's Avatar
AJPuleo23 AJPuleo23 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 70
AJPuleo23 will become famous soon enough
AJPuleo23 AJPuleo23 is offline
Member
AJPuleo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 70
AJPuleo23 will become famous soon enough
Blown CV Grease Fouling up ABS wheel speed sensors/VSC system

So I have been tracking down an issue with my slip indicator going off around 40MPH and the slightest turn of the 'new' steering wheel.

*I THINK* it is just a coincidence that this all started happening around the same time I swapped in a new wheel as posted a few weeks ago.

I recalibrated the VSC system and that did not seem to do the trick.

So over the past weekend I figured I'd pull the wheels off up front and take a look at these sensors just to see if I had anything obvious going on with them.

Sure enough I blew my driver CV and this one was not as obvious as my previous blown CV which had blown grease all over the inside sidewall and then down the frame.

FWIW the VSC/TRAC lights are not on, nor is the ABS light. ONLY seemingly an overly touchy traction control system thinking the vehicle is slipping and slowing it down.

So my question is, has anyone (I guess that leaves us lucky 2001 & 2002 owners) encountered a blown CV's grease potentially screwing up the VSC system and or at least potentially fouling up the wheel speed sensor?

I am hoping to get a new CV this weekend from NAPA and will plan to replace it and will take a look further at the sensor on the driver side.
__________________
2001 SR5 | 275k+ | 3" Toytec Ultimate Coils | SPC UCA's | MotegiMR150 17x8.5 + Yoko Geo 295/70/R17 | 4Xi full drivetrain skids | OCD sway bar links F&R | Powerstop TBU | Opt OR Upper & Lower rear arms | MF Overland Exhaust | BXBuilt Retro-fits | Vivid Lumen Fogs | Front bumper retrofit

Last edited by AJPuleo23; 05-24-2022 at 07:53 PM.
AJPuleo23 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 08:20 AM #2
JoeT4R's Avatar
JoeT4R JoeT4R is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 526
JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about
JoeT4R JoeT4R is online now
Member
JoeT4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 526
JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPuleo23 View Post
So I have been tracking down an issue with my slip indicator going off around 40MPH and the slightest turn of the 'new' steering wheel.

*I THINK* it is just a coincidence that this all started happening around the same time I swapped in a new wheel as posted a few weeks ago.

I recalibrated the VSC system and that did not seem to do the trick.

So over the past weekend I figured I'd pull the wheels off up front and take a look at these sensors just to see if I had anything obvious going on with them.

Sure enough I blew my driver CV and this one was not as obvious as my previous blown CV which had blown grease all over the inside sidewall and then down the frame.

FWIW the VSC/TRAC lights are not on, nor is the ABS light. ONLY seemingly an overly touchy traction control system thinking the vehicle is slipping and slowing it down.

So my question is, has anyone (I guess that leaves us lucky 2001 & 2002 owners) encountered a blown CV's grease potentially screwing up the VSC system and or at least potentially fouling up the wheel speed sensor?

I am hoping to get a new CV this weekend from NAPA and will plan to replace it and will take a look further at the sensor on the driver side.
What kind of CV's are you getting from Napa?
__________________
'01 4R, SR5 4WD | 315K+ | Sonoran Steel 1.2
Instagram: @JoeT4R
Build Thread
Official Dorado Gold Picture Thread
JoeT4R is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 10:26 AM #3
AJPuleo23's Avatar
AJPuleo23 AJPuleo23 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 70
AJPuleo23 will become famous soon enough
AJPuleo23 AJPuleo23 is offline
Member
AJPuleo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 70
AJPuleo23 will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT4R View Post
What kind of CV's are you getting from Napa?

Will pick up either NCV944019 or NCV944013 as the much talked about extended travel CVís are OOS.

Did you ask because you have experience with NAPA cvs?

FWIW this IIRC was a carquest cv from AAP. (Trying to think of more acronyms to fit into that one)Ö. So I figured Iíd give NAPA a shot as they have the warranty too.

I may just look to rebuild my OE CVs down the road too but 1 thing at a time I guess.
__________________
2001 SR5 | 275k+ | 3" Toytec Ultimate Coils | SPC UCA's | MotegiMR150 17x8.5 + Yoko Geo 295/70/R17 | 4Xi full drivetrain skids | OCD sway bar links F&R | Powerstop TBU | Opt OR Upper & Lower rear arms | MF Overland Exhaust | BXBuilt Retro-fits | Vivid Lumen Fogs | Front bumper retrofit
AJPuleo23 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-25-2022, 03:10 PM #4
JoeT4R's Avatar
JoeT4R JoeT4R is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 526
JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about
JoeT4R JoeT4R is online now
Member
JoeT4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 526
JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPuleo23 View Post
Will pick up either NCV944019 or NCV944013 as the much talked about extended travel CVís are OOS.

Did you ask because you have experience with NAPA cvs?

FWIW this IIRC was a carquest cv from AAP. (Trying to think of more acronyms to fit into that one)Ö. So I figured Iíd give NAPA a shot as they have the warranty too.

I may just look to rebuild my OE CVs down the road too but 1 thing at a time I guess.
Gotcha. I do, I do. I just bought the NCV941258 axles (heavy duty ones) and so far, they're amazing. Very happy with them. Napa makes good stuff for sure, so definitely have some faith. I'm extremely OEM partial, but have been extremely impressed with these CV's. Pretty sure they have a warranty as well, but I don't know the specifics off the top of my head.

I'd highly suggest hanging onto the OEM CV's if they're in decent shape. Mine were pretty bad, so I ended up having to toss them. One was OEM, the other was some no-name brand that I replaced back in 2014. If I had both OEM axles I would have been way more likely to hold onto them for rebuilding purposes.

Let me know which axles you do end up going with, though. Hopefully they'll yield similar results as mine have. Are you lifted? What exactly happened to your current CV's that caused them to blow?
__________________
'01 4R, SR5 4WD | 315K+ | Sonoran Steel 1.2
Instagram: @JoeT4R
Build Thread
Official Dorado Gold Picture Thread
JoeT4R is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:27 PM #5
AJPuleo23's Avatar
AJPuleo23 AJPuleo23 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 70
AJPuleo23 will become famous soon enough
AJPuleo23 AJPuleo23 is offline
Member
AJPuleo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 70
AJPuleo23 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeT4R View Post
Gotcha. I do, I do. I just bought the NCV941258 axles (heavy duty ones) and so far, they're amazing. Very happy with them. Napa makes good stuff for sure, so definitely have some faith. I'm extremely OEM partial, but have been extremely impressed with these CV's. Pretty sure they have a warranty as well, but I don't know the specifics off the top of my head.

I'd highly suggest hanging onto the OEM CV's if they're in decent shape. Mine were pretty bad, so I ended up having to toss them. One was OEM, the other was some no-name brand that I replaced back in 2014. If I had both OEM axles I would have been way more likely to hold onto them for rebuilding purposes.

Let me know which axles you do end up going with, though. Hopefully they'll yield similar results as mine have. Are you lifted? What exactly happened to your current CV's that caused them to blow?
Yeah I'd opt for the HD CV if it was available but it does not seem to be stocked anywhere. I should have my OE CV's somewhere and maybe on a rainy day I'll try and rebuild at least 1 of them for a spare. IIRC one was pretty chewed up.

I am running the toytec ultimate 3" and the boots do not seem to like this set up so much tbh. That or potholes around here in MD... Can't say for certain what caused it to tear the boots, but from a quick look it looked like both inner and outer boots were torn on the driver side. I'll probably just do both CV's while I am at it.
__________________
2001 SR5 | 275k+ | 3" Toytec Ultimate Coils | SPC UCA's | MotegiMR150 17x8.5 + Yoko Geo 295/70/R17 | 4Xi full drivetrain skids | OCD sway bar links F&R | Powerstop TBU | Opt OR Upper & Lower rear arms | MF Overland Exhaust | BXBuilt Retro-fits | Vivid Lumen Fogs | Front bumper retrofit
AJPuleo23 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 05-27-2022, 05:46 PM #6
JoeT4R's Avatar
JoeT4R JoeT4R is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 526
JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about
JoeT4R JoeT4R is online now
Member
JoeT4R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: NOVA
Posts: 526
JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about JoeT4R has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJPuleo23 View Post
Yeah I'd opt for the HD CV if it was available but it does not seem to be stocked anywhere. I should have my OE CV's somewhere and maybe on a rainy day I'll try and rebuild at least 1 of them for a spare. IIRC one was pretty chewed up.

I am running the toytec ultimate 3" and the boots do not seem to like this set up so much tbh. That or potholes around here in MD... Can't say for certain what caused it to tear the boots, but from a quick look it looked like both inner and outer boots were torn on the driver side. I'll probably just do both CV's while I am at it.
Yep, sounds about right. Thatís usually how it goes. Iíve got the Sonoran Steel 1.2 and my cvís were not happy about it. I did both, AND the seals where they connect to the diff since they had 300K+ miles on them. They werenít leaking (the seals) but they were about $60 in total iirc, OEM at that, so I figured it would be a good idea to do.

It sucks that they arenít available at the moment though. Iím sure there are plenty of other viable options out there, I just chose the heavy duty ones in hopes that Iíll never have to do them again. Buy once, cry once, they say.
__________________
'01 4R, SR5 4WD | 315K+ | Sonoran Steel 1.2
Instagram: @JoeT4R
Build Thread
Official Dorado Gold Picture Thread
JoeT4R is online now   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 09:14 AM #7
AJPuleo23's Avatar
AJPuleo23 AJPuleo23 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 70
AJPuleo23 will become famous soon enough
AJPuleo23 AJPuleo23 is offline
Member
AJPuleo23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MD
Posts: 70
AJPuleo23 will become famous soon enough
For anyone curious, first assessment appears to have been either an incorrectly set, or damaged clock spring (very likely during my steering wheel swap). I've put in a new one and the first shakedown appears to be successful.

We'll see.
__________________
2001 SR5 | 275k+ | 3" Toytec Ultimate Coils | SPC UCA's | MotegiMR150 17x8.5 + Yoko Geo 295/70/R17 | 4Xi full drivetrain skids | OCD sway bar links F&R | Powerstop TBU | Opt OR Upper & Lower rear arms | MF Overland Exhaust | BXBuilt Retro-fits | Vivid Lumen Fogs | Front bumper retrofit
AJPuleo23 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-13-2022, 11:27 AM #8
Jakeepoo3's Avatar
Jakeepoo3 Jakeepoo3 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Fayetteville AR
Posts: 595
Jakeepoo3 has a spectacular aura about Jakeepoo3 has a spectacular aura about
Jakeepoo3 Jakeepoo3 is offline
Member
Jakeepoo3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Fayetteville AR
Posts: 595
Jakeepoo3 has a spectacular aura about Jakeepoo3 has a spectacular aura about
VSC, A-TRAC, DAC functions disabled, solution

I had this happen with a dirty tone ring. This is what I did to fix it. Check this thread.
Jakeepoo3 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blown , grease , obvious , system , wheel

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Dash lights and wheel speed sensors Flybynight 4th Gen T4Rs 4 10-01-2021 02:49 PM
PSA: Wheel Speed Sensors awesomesauce0528 4th Gen T4Rs 7 04-03-2019 11:07 PM
Both Front ABS Wheel Speed Sensors 3rd Generation; $25, SE Ohio Wjktdi For Sale: T4R Items 4 06-09-2017 10:34 AM
Wheel Speed Sensors drewh26 4th Gen T4Rs 0 03-21-2013 11:07 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2022 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020