User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-05-2022, 08:21 PM #16
Track34 Track34 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 18
Track34 is on a distinguished road
Track34 Track34 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 18
Track34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiBB View Post
Any update I am having a similar problem
I noticed with the most recent fix or checking of the axles, I damaged the area on the seal where the spring is held for the passenger side and therefore was not holding the spring properly. I installed a new seal on the passenger side and sealed the seals and retainers on both sides with FIPG. At this time the driver side was still slowly leaking.

I'm hoping between a new seal and sealing everything with FIPG, that all leaks will be gone. I've now put enough mileage on the truck to check it out again, but I'm away for a couple weeks. I should be able to check it out not next weekend, but the following and I'm hoping I can return with good news!
Track34 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-06-2022, 12:14 PM #17
Romeo1's Avatar
Romeo1 Romeo1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Idaho
Posts: 610
Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice
Romeo1 Romeo1 is offline
Member
Romeo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Idaho
Posts: 610
Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice
I know that you said you replaced and extended the breather. Did you verify that it actually flows air? Dumb thought, I know, but it can get clogged anywhere in that circuit, even inside the diff.

Absolutely verify that it actually flows end to end. Back flow it into the housing with an air nozzles to make sure.

I have encountered that twice the over the years and various pieces of equipment. The one time, a guy replaced the breather on the axle of a semi, (it was still clogged inside.) He was starting to lose his mind since everything was replaced, and it still leaked. I said, did you verify it flows? He said that’s retarded, I replaced it all.

So I got out my rubber tip their nozzle, set the air regulator down low and no flow for a few seconds then poof…….Talk about causing a lot of angst.

I would say 90% of all axle and transmission seal leaks in the universe are caused by vents.

Sounds stupid, I know. But absolutely verify that it actually flows air.
__________________
99’ Black “Highlander” sport, oak, 5VZ auto, 4.30 axle, e-lock, 265/75 Grabber X3,, Bilstein 6112 (2”) front 5160 rear shocks, OME 2906 springs, Durobumps, 4x Inovations front middle rear skid plates, 4XI square TRD tube sliders, lil skips tank skid, lotus dev RCA skids, overland custom sway bar links, Amp’d hidden winch, warn Vr Evo 10s
Romeo1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 12-04-2022, 03:58 PM #18
Track34 Track34 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 18
Track34 is on a distinguished road
Track34 Track34 is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Victoria, BC
Posts: 18
Track34 is on a distinguished road
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo1 View Post
I know that you said you replaced and extended the breather. Did you verify that it actually flows air? Dumb thought, I know, but it can get clogged anywhere in that circuit, even inside the diff.

Absolutely verify that it actually flows end to end. Back flow it into the housing with an air nozzles to make sure.

I have encountered that twice the over the years and various pieces of equipment. The one time, a guy replaced the breather on the axle of a semi, (it was still clogged inside.) He was starting to lose his mind since everything was replaced, and it still leaked. I said, did you verify it flows? He said that’s retarded, I replaced it all.

So I got out my rubber tip their nozzle, set the air regulator down low and no flow for a few seconds then poof…….Talk about causing a lot of angst.

I would say 90% of all axle and transmission seal leaks in the universe are caused by vents.

Sounds stupid, I know. But absolutely verify that it actually flows air.
Thanks for the reply! I have verified that air actually flows. For a while I was actually running it without a breather, and just had it extended to a place where water couldn't get in.

So I checked it out after replacing the P Seal again. As of right now, the driver's side seems not to be leaking or at least very slowly. The passenger side is still leaking, although much slower than before. It's not terrible and not contaminating the shoes, so I'll leave it as is until the spring when I'll probably redo the whole driver's side again.

While not the result I was hoping for, it's slow enough that I can drive it for a while and not worry about running the diff low on fluid.
Track34 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 10:18 PM #19
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 281
Toy2play will become famous soon enough
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 281
Toy2play will become famous soon enough
Of all the people that have used FIPG (RTV) to seal any chance of it leaking, how many are still experiencing issues? How many of you guys have flipped the retainer and have gone 10k+ miles with the flip and not experiencing a leak? I'm getting sick of this problem. Is it still best to go with updated seals and flip? I havent flipped my retainer yet, but I'm seeing some still have issues with the flip.
__________________
97 Charged, lifted, armored, geared, locked SR5.
Toy2play is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-20-2023, 11:42 PM #20
TucsonMike TucsonMike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Tucson
Posts: 56
TucsonMike is on a distinguished road
TucsonMike TucsonMike is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Tucson
Posts: 56
TucsonMike is on a distinguished road
I flipped the retainer many years ago on both axles and have around 150k using this method and no leaks. Didn't use rtv, so can't comment on that. If I had to do it again, I would still flip the retainer using Toyota seals. Good luck

MikeM
TucsonMike is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 01:21 PM #21
Hopeless Diamond's Avatar
Hopeless Diamond Hopeless Diamond is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Chumstick WA
Posts: 376
Hopeless Diamond has a spectacular aura about Hopeless Diamond has a spectacular aura about Hopeless Diamond has a spectacular aura about
Hopeless Diamond Hopeless Diamond is offline
Member
Hopeless Diamond's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: Chumstick WA
Posts: 376
Hopeless Diamond has a spectacular aura about Hopeless Diamond has a spectacular aura about Hopeless Diamond has a spectacular aura about
After I did both of mine, the passenger side had started leaking again (service records show it was replaced twice by a dealership). I used new retainers (don't remember if I flipped them), applied FIPG around the axle before I pressed the inboard retainer on, and also applied it around the axle housing before I installed the seal. Made sure to clean off any excess. Have put ~20k miles on it since, over 10k of those miles were from Seattle to Cabo, twice. Lots of hard miles
Hopeless Diamond is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-21-2023, 08:10 PM #22
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 281
Toy2play will become famous soon enough
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 281
Toy2play will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by TucsonMike View Post
I flipped the retainer many years ago on both axles and have around 150k using this method and no leaks. Didn't use rtv, so can't comment on that. If I had to do it again, I would still flip the retainer using Toyota seals. Good luck

MikeM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopeless Diamond View Post
After I did both of mine, the passenger side had started leaking again (service records show it was replaced twice by a dealership). I used new retainers (don't remember if I flipped them), applied FIPG around the axle before I pressed the inboard retainer on, and also applied it around the axle housing before I installed the seal. Made sure to clean off any excess. Have put ~20k miles on it since, over 10k of those miles were from Seattle to Cabo, twice. Lots of hard miles
Sounds good. Thanks for the input. Now I just need to see if my 12 ton harbor freight is up to the task.
__________________
97 Charged, lifted, armored, geared, locked SR5.
Toy2play is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 01:26 PM #23
Rushthezeppelin Rushthezeppelin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 656
Rushthezeppelin has a spectacular aura about Rushthezeppelin has a spectacular aura about Rushthezeppelin has a spectacular aura about
Rushthezeppelin Rushthezeppelin is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2022
Location: Littleton, CO
Posts: 656
Rushthezeppelin has a spectacular aura about Rushthezeppelin has a spectacular aura about Rushthezeppelin has a spectacular aura about
I flipped retainers (and used new ones) and used the updated seals. No FIPG and I've got about 9k and 10k miles I think on the job (was slow getting both sides done). Done a lot of offroading on them. Just pulled the ABS sensors not long ago and everything is still bone dry in there. Pretty sure I was the first one to change to seals too, everything seemed to likely be original (old style seal and OEM bearings with very faded grease seals). I wonder if things get screwed up on this job in the past if it just basically hoses the axles unless you do the FIPG.
__________________
'98 SR5 5 Speed
Rushthezeppelin is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-22-2023, 09:04 PM #24
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 281
Toy2play will become famous soon enough
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 281
Toy2play will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rushthezeppelin View Post
I flipped retainers (and used new ones) and used the updated seals. No FIPG and I've got about 9k and 10k miles I think on the job (was slow getting both sides done). Done a lot of offroading on them. Just pulled the ABS sensors not long ago and everything is still bone dry in there. Pretty sure I was the first one to change to seals too, everything seemed to likely be original (old style seal and OEM bearings with very faded grease seals). I wonder if things get screwed up on this job in the past if it just basically hoses the axles unless you do the FIPG.
I saw on a different thread that you bought the bearing from napa. I was looking on there and couldnt seem to find one fir the wheel bearing, do you have a part number or a link to the one you bought?
__________________
97 Charged, lifted, armored, geared, locked SR5.
Toy2play is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-24-2023, 05:01 AM #25
Ktlincoln Ktlincoln is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Maine
Posts: 12
Ktlincoln is on a distinguished road
Ktlincoln Ktlincoln is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Maine
Posts: 12
Ktlincoln is on a distinguished road
I had mine replaced at a shop, first time it leaked, second time after getting "fixed" it leaked. I was told there was a groove worn in the shaft but have not looked any further into it yet.

Planned to swap a locked rear in but considering selling now. 2020 TRD tacoma looks pretty good and I bet the seals don't leak!
Ktlincoln is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 04:02 PM #26
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 4,410
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 4,410
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2play View Post
I saw on a different thread that you bought the bearing from napa. I was looking on there and couldnt seem to find one fir the wheel bearing, do you have a part number or a link to the one you bought?
Here's the part numbers I have for rear axle seals:
Rear wheel bearing 90363-40020-77 or Nachi 6308-2NSE (96-00) / 90363-40068 or NSK 40BW06CG50 (01-02)
Rear axle retainer 42423-20010 (2 per side)
Snap ring 90520-36045
Outer seal 90313-48001 (96-00) or 90313-54001 (01-02)
Inner seal 90310-50006
O Ring 90301-88077
__________________
2000 SR5 V6 Manual 4WD https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...biography.html
2000 Limited V6 Auto E-Locker Sold 3/2022
Bad Luck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-26-2023, 06:33 PM #27
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 281
Toy2play will become famous soon enough
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 281
Toy2play will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Luck View Post
Here's the part numbers I have for rear axle seals:
Rear wheel bearing 90363-40020-77 or Nachi 6308-2NSE (96-00) / 90363-40068 or NSK 40BW06CG50 (01-02)
Rear axle retainer 42423-20010 (2 per side)
Snap ring 90520-36045
Outer seal 90313-48001 (96-00) or 90313-54001 (01-02)
Inner seal 90310-50006
O Ring 90301-88077
Is it safe to assume the only difference in abs and non-abs axles is the abs uses two retainer instead of one for non-abs? I'm looking at this kit and the non-abs only has one retainer in it. I was hoping I could reuse one of the retainers closest to the bearing and use a new retainer on the seal side. Looking to replace the bearing and retainer plus a new factory seal. I cant imagine the retainers are different for non-abs vs abs. Mine is an abs axle.

Wheel Bearing- Toyota Truck, 4runner, T100 & Tacoma Rear Wheel Bearing w/o ABS (1975-2000) 936
__________________
97 Charged, lifted, armored, geared, locked SR5.
Toy2play is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-27-2023, 10:35 AM #28
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 4,410
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute
Bad Luck Bad Luck is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: Hot Springs, AR
Posts: 4,410
Real Name: Patrick
Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute Bad Luck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toy2play View Post
Is it safe to assume the only difference in abs and non-abs axles is the abs uses two retainer instead of one for non-abs? I'm looking at this kit and the non-abs only has one retainer in it. I was hoping I could reuse one of the retainers closest to the bearing and use a new retainer on the seal side. Looking to replace the bearing and retainer plus a new factory seal. I cant imagine the retainers are different for non-abs vs abs. Mine is an abs axle.

Wheel Bearing- Toyota Truck, 4runner, T100 & Tacoma Rear Wheel Bearing w/o ABS (1975-2000) 936
I think the retainers are the same for ABS and non ABS.
__________________
2000 SR5 V6 Manual 4WD https://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-g...biography.html
2000 Limited V6 Auto E-Locker Sold 3/2022
Bad Luck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-05-2023, 07:16 PM #29
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 281
Toy2play will become famous soon enough
Toy2play Toy2play is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Western US
Posts: 281
Toy2play will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Luck View Post
Here's the part numbers I have for rear axle seals:
Rear wheel bearing 90363-40020-77 or Nachi 6308-2NSE (96-00) / 90363-40068 or NSK 40BW06CG50 (01-02)
Rear axle retainer 42423-20010 (2 per side)
Snap ring 90520-36045
Outer seal 90313-48001 (96-00) or 90313-54001 (01-02)
Inner seal 90310-50006
O Ring 90301-88077
Thanks for these part numbers

I was able to get the Nachi 6308-2NSE bearing for $26 free shipping at
6308-2NSE9 NACHI bearing 6308-2NSE seals 6308-2RS bearings 6308 RS Japan 6308-2NSE Nachi bearings [6308-2NSE9] - $26.00 : JSB Great Bearings, online radial, pillow block and miniature bearings store

Seemed of same quality as stock and stamped made in Japan. Bought retainer on ebay for $16 and my local dealership had the seal for under $7. Not too bad for doing a bearing replacement. Now cross the fingers it doesn't leak again
__________________
97 Charged, lifted, armored, geared, locked SR5.
Toy2play is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-06-2023, 01:13 AM #30
3ToyGuy 3ToyGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Chiloquin
Posts: 46
Real Name: Patrick
3ToyGuy is on a distinguished road
3ToyGuy 3ToyGuy is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2023
Location: Chiloquin
Posts: 46
Real Name: Patrick
3ToyGuy is on a distinguished road
Did you check that the rear diff breather was clear? A clogged breather will cause rear axle seals to leak faster than Sonic the Hedgehog can run. And that's fast!

Good luck!
Pat☺
3ToyGuy is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
axle , axles , leak , replacement , seals

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axle Seal Leak: Fixed? lockedlex 3rd gen T4Rs 5 04-04-2018 06:41 PM
4th gen CV Axle seal leak? Schamattack Maintenance/Detailing 2 12-08-2017 04:47 PM
She's taking a leak! Rear axle seal leak that is.... fightman80 3rd gen T4Rs 76 09-18-2014 04:52 PM
Front axle seal leak jneimeyer0227 Classic T4Rs 5 01-10-2012 08:25 PM
Axle Seal 'Leak?' madbomber08 3rd gen T4Rs 2 08-30-2011 02:49 PM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020