User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-28-2023, 02:32 AM #1
crespoh69 crespoh69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 135
crespoh69 is on a distinguished road
crespoh69 crespoh69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 135
crespoh69 is on a distinguished road
Advice needed on new 5100

Hey guys, I have a 99 4runner I just installed some new Bilstein 5100's on with the stock 99 springs in the front to replace some used ones with unknown springs I purchased for cheap when I was in a pinch.

First thing I noticed was the drop in height. Like I said, the used ones had unknown springs on them but they were at the 3rd circlip which I understand gives it a lift.

The other thing I noticed though was that the ride was much less harsh with the stock springs without sacrificing maneuverability.

I'm looking for advise, I loved the right height I had with the used ones but also love the way the used springs aren't as harsh. Is there a way to get both the extra height as well as the ride quality? I drive about 100 miles a day on the thing so want to be as comfortable as possible on it but will also go camping about once or twice a year, maybe more now that I actually live in by the desert and mountains but the majority of the the time it's mainly being used to commute.

Will me moving the circlip up give me the height and comfort since I'd be using the same springs or would moving it make the springs harsh as well since they'd constantly be compressed?

What about for the rears? When I added the lift in the front, it seemed that the rear remained low but that again was with the stock springs.
crespoh69 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:13 AM #2
ninethings ninethings is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 46
Real Name: Tim
ninethings is on a distinguished road
ninethings ninethings is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 46
Real Name: Tim
ninethings is on a distinguished road
grab some OME 881/890s front and rear. They drive great, I think better than stock. A little more firm but very forgiving on road
__________________
<a href=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhRUBHdN4dX3N-MZqnf4MmbxaF1QVQ8kLoGcbvEX3SNwSyV_geqoX9F5LACC8BWf7UQIBzi5AC5qHBgksRfky-s3P1k9Pp-70LTMpPzK__f2bK2f30sbQq_zRuN3Cqwx93feDQ9Ndb2dQav6nodFdYVRSNBnDFeeSfFIiVfUq0VyQ3yYr93Gg0IjfTdAO0/s320/IMG_4239.jpeg target=_blank>https://blogger.googleusercontent.co.../IMG_4239.jpeg</a>
ninethings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:26 AM #3
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,178
phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,178
phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by crespoh69 View Post
Will me moving the circlip up give me the height and comfort since I'd be using the same springs or would moving it make the springs harsh as well since they'd constantly be compressed?

What about for the rears? When I added the lift in the front, it seemed that the rear remained low but that again was with the stock springs.
The springs are always constantly compressed by the weight of the vehicle. You'll be fine moving up a circlip notch. That should be 3/4" or so, if I remember right? A small top spacer might also do what you want (like 1/4" = 1/2" of lift) without other mods. Did you use the 4Runner specific 5100s? There are multiple options that otherwise fit and can have an affect on ride height and quality (for better or worse, depending on your goal).

Did you also put 5100's on the rear? How high do you want the rear? Do you carry any weight or want the ability to carry weight?

What are your current hub center to fender lip measurements all around?

-Charlie
__________________
'99 4Runner SR5 Auto - 4WD swapped
'89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
'17 Chevy Volt Premier
'16 Honda Odyssey Elite
Previous: '88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, '03 WRX wagon, '08 Outback XT
phattyduck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:53 AM #4
crespoh69 crespoh69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 135
crespoh69 is on a distinguished road
crespoh69 crespoh69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 135
crespoh69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninethings View Post
grab some OME 881/890s front and rear. They drive great, I think better than stock. A little more firm but very forgiving on road
Do you mean buy some 881 for front and 890 for rear or do you mean buy one or the other for front and rear? What's the difference between them?
crespoh69 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 11:56 AM #5
crespoh69 crespoh69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 135
crespoh69 is on a distinguished road
crespoh69 crespoh69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 135
crespoh69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
The springs are always constantly compressed by the weight of the vehicle. You'll be fine moving up a circlip notch. That should be 3/4" or so, if I remember right? A small top spacer might also do what you want (like 1/4" = 1/2" of lift) without other mods. Did you use the 4Runner specific 5100s? There are multiple options that otherwise fit and can have an affect on ride height and quality (for better or worse, depending on your goal).

Did you also put 5100's on the rear? How high do you want the rear? Do you carry any weight or want the ability to carry weight?

What are your current hub center to fender lip measurements all around?

-Charlie
I used the 4runner specific ones. You mentioned the springs are constantly compressed, do you mean that whatever the circlip is set to the ride would be the same? I'd have to get the measurements.
crespoh69 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 03:42 PM #6
ninethings ninethings is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 46
Real Name: Tim
ninethings is on a distinguished road
ninethings ninethings is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 46
Real Name: Tim
ninethings is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crespoh69 View Post
Do you mean buy some 881 for front and 890 for rear or do you mean buy one or the other for front and rear? What's the difference between them?
881's are for the front and will give you about a 2.5" lift with stock weight. 890s are for the rear and will give the same lift at stock weight. Alternatively if that is too much lift for what you want, you can go with 880 up front ant 906's in the rear for ~1.5" of lift over stock. I have the 881/891 combo and LOVE them. They ride amazing on and off road.

Here's a breakdown of weight/lift from SRQ's website:

Front coils:

OME 880: Stock front weight, 1.5 inch lift
OME 881: Stock front weight, 2.5 inch lift
OME 883: 200+ lbs additional front weight (heavy bumper and winch) 2.5-3.0 inch lift

Rear coils:

OME 906: Medium 1.5 inch lift coils
OME 890: Medium 2.5-3 inch lift coils
OME 891: Heavy 2.5-3 inch lift coils (Great for 200+ lb of added weight such as aftermarket bumpers and storage systems)
OME 861: Heavy 3-3.5 inch lift coils (Great for 300+ lb of added weight such as aftermarket bumpers and storage systems)
__________________
<a href=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhRUBHdN4dX3N-MZqnf4MmbxaF1QVQ8kLoGcbvEX3SNwSyV_geqoX9F5LACC8BWf7UQIBzi5AC5qHBgksRfky-s3P1k9Pp-70LTMpPzK__f2bK2f30sbQq_zRuN3Cqwx93feDQ9Ndb2dQav6nodFdYVRSNBnDFeeSfFIiVfUq0VyQ3yYr93Gg0IjfTdAO0/s320/IMG_4239.jpeg target=_blank>https://blogger.googleusercontent.co.../IMG_4239.jpeg</a>
ninethings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:16 PM #7
crespoh69 crespoh69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 135
crespoh69 is on a distinguished road
crespoh69 crespoh69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 135
crespoh69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninethings View Post
881's are for the front and will give you about a 2.5" lift with stock weight. 890s are for the rear and will give the same lift at stock weight. Alternatively if that is too much lift for what you want, you can go with 880 up front ant 906's in the rear for ~1.5" of lift over stock. I have the 881/891 combo and LOVE them. They ride amazing on and off road.

Here's a breakdown of weight/lift from SRQ's website:

Front coils:

OME 880: Stock front weight, 1.5 inch lift
OME 881: Stock front weight, 2.5 inch lift
OME 883: 200+ lbs additional front weight (heavy bumper and winch) 2.5-3.0 inch lift

Rear coils:

OME 906: Medium 1.5 inch lift coils
OME 890: Medium 2.5-3 inch lift coils
OME 891: Heavy 2.5-3 inch lift coils (Great for 200+ lb of added weight such as aftermarket bumpers and storage systems)
OME 861: Heavy 3-3.5 inch lift coils (Great for 300+ lb of added weight such as aftermarket bumpers and storage systems)
Thanks for this! May I ask, why did you go with the 891 vs 890 since they provide the same amount of lift in the rear? And would these provide that lift without moving that circlip on the front from the bottom most setting? Or would I still need to move it up to the 2-4 setting?
crespoh69 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-28-2023, 05:35 PM #8
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,178
phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,178
phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future phattyduck has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by crespoh69 View Post
I used the 4runner specific ones. You mentioned the springs are constantly compressed, do you mean that whatever the circlip is set to the ride would be the same? I'd have to get the measurements.
No, no. The spring length at ride height will be the same for all circlip settings (for the same spring, of course). Since you are changing where the bottom of the spring mounts, the total length of the spring+shock is longer at ride height, you get a lift.

Too much pre-load gets harsh when you have so much preload you run out of droop travel. This causes very sudden changes in suspension loading and will be very harsh. Shocks can also change valving depending on where they are in their travel, which can also change suspension comfort. This is not an issue with the 5100s when using a stock spring - Bilstein is reasonable with the lift heights available.

890 rear springs and 891 rear springs only have the same lifted height if you add the recommended load listed. You'll want either 906's or 890's unless you have a specific need for something else.

Make sure you get an alignment when this is all done... hopefully your front alignment cams aren't seized.

-Charlie
__________________
'99 4Runner SR5 Auto - 4WD swapped
'89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
'17 Chevy Volt Premier
'16 Honda Odyssey Elite
Previous: '88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, '03 WRX wagon, '08 Outback XT
phattyduck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 02:45 PM #9
ninethings ninethings is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 46
Real Name: Tim
ninethings is on a distinguished road
ninethings ninethings is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 46
Real Name: Tim
ninethings is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crespoh69 View Post
Thanks for this! May I ask, why did you go with the 891 vs 890 since they provide the same amount of lift in the rear? And would these provide that lift without moving that circlip on the front from the bottom most setting? Or would I still need to move it up to the 2-4 setting?
I went with the 891 because I don't have additional weight (yet) and wanted a better ride. The 890's are a stiffer spring designed to ride well with additional weight. Without, at stock weight, they'd be harsher.

The rears don't have a circlip, the spring and shock are mounted separately. If you're referring to the fronts, I believe the given lift measurements are assuming the circlip is on the lowest perch
__________________
<a href=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhRUBHdN4dX3N-MZqnf4MmbxaF1QVQ8kLoGcbvEX3SNwSyV_geqoX9F5LACC8BWf7UQIBzi5AC5qHBgksRfky-s3P1k9Pp-70LTMpPzK__f2bK2f30sbQq_zRuN3Cqwx93feDQ9Ndb2dQav6nodFdYVRSNBnDFeeSfFIiVfUq0VyQ3yYr93Gg0IjfTdAO0/s320/IMG_4239.jpeg target=_blank>https://blogger.googleusercontent.co.../IMG_4239.jpeg</a>
ninethings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-29-2023, 08:44 PM #10
96RedRunner's Avatar
96RedRunner 96RedRunner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,372
96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all
96RedRunner 96RedRunner is offline
Senior Member
96RedRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2,372
96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all
I have the 890's & LC 5160's they ride great stock weight, have loaded cargo area with 11
80# bags of Sacrete 1 row between wheel wells one rearword had 2" gap between bumpstop and axle tube.
96RedRunner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 03:22 AM #11
crespoh69 crespoh69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 135
crespoh69 is on a distinguished road
crespoh69 crespoh69 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Long Beach
Posts: 135
crespoh69 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ninethings View Post
I went with the 891 because I don't have additional weight (yet) and wanted a better ride. The 890's are a stiffer spring designed to ride well with additional weight. Without, at stock weight, they'd be harsher.

The rears don't have a circlip, the spring and shock are mounted separately. If you're referring to the fronts, I believe the given lift measurements are assuming the circlip is on the lowest perch
Sorry, did you mean the opposite then? Because according to this, the 891's are for additional weight right? Or am I missing something?

OME 890: Medium 2.5-3 inch lift coils
OME 891: Heavy 2.5-3 inch lift coils (Great for 200+ lb of added weight such as aftermarket bumpers and storage systems)
crespoh69 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 07-30-2023, 11:29 AM #12
ninethings ninethings is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 46
Real Name: Tim
ninethings is on a distinguished road
ninethings ninethings is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Coachella Valley, CA
Posts: 46
Real Name: Tim
ninethings is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by crespoh69 View Post
Sorry, did you mean the opposite then? Because according to this, the 891's are for additional weight right? Or am I missing something?

OME 890: Medium 2.5-3 inch lift coils
OME 891: Heavy 2.5-3 inch lift coils (Great for 200+ lb of added weight such as aftermarket bumpers and storage systems)
Yeah got them mixed up, sorry. I have the 881/890 combo.
__________________
<a href=https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEhRUBHdN4dX3N-MZqnf4MmbxaF1QVQ8kLoGcbvEX3SNwSyV_geqoX9F5LACC8BWf7UQIBzi5AC5qHBgksRfky-s3P1k9Pp-70LTMpPzK__f2bK2f30sbQq_zRuN3Cqwx93feDQ9Ndb2dQav6nodFdYVRSNBnDFeeSfFIiVfUq0VyQ3yYr93Gg0IjfTdAO0/s320/IMG_4239.jpeg target=_blank>https://blogger.googleusercontent.co.../IMG_4239.jpeg</a>
ninethings is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
harsh , height , springs , stock , thing

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Help Needed: Bouncy Ride - 5100ís and Rear Spacers woodsby 5th gen T4Rs 37 12-25-2021 03:31 PM
Ball Joint Failure, Bilstein 5100 Help Needed TOPSECRETTUNDRA 3rd gen T4Rs 6 06-23-2018 07:41 AM
Advice needed, 5100's and spring compression blackie2 5th gen T4Rs 4 02-22-2017 07:17 AM
Urgent Help Needed Toytec Springs on Tundra 5100's Yoter 3rd gen T4Rs 4 06-02-2016 11:56 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2023 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020