User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-25-2023, 03:01 PM #61
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
Yes, in the bottom tank:



But if the coolant is sufficiently cool for the engine, it should work on the trans cooler too...

Get a 3/4" or thinner cooler, mount things carefully and you'll have room.

Oh, and don't think about using a narrow 'race' winch - you'll need one with 4.5"x10" mounting foot dimensions.

-Charlie
That makes so much more sense! I'd searched online quite a bit but was never able to find a clear answer on exactly how the transmission cooler was integrated into the radiator. After seeing that pic, it all makes total sense now. I was incorrectly thinking that some section of the radiator fins were dedicated to transmission fluid and the rest to engine coolant. Now I see the transmission cooler is suspended in in the engine coolant and thus, is basically liquid cooled.

That would lead me to think that since the engine coolant is staying at the proper temp, the lower bumper airflow must not affect the transmission temps very much. I'm guessing the transmission is simply producing more heat than what the stock cooler can "shed" to the engine coolant before the trans fluid returns to the transmission. It still seems weird that this whole thing cropped up after the new bumper was installed so maybe that airflow is still a factor in some other way or something else is going on...

Thanks also for the tip about the winch sizing. I guess it makes sense that a full-size footprint would be necessary for the loads of full-size vehicles.
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires

Last edited by Option01; 10-25-2023 at 08:45 PM.
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 12:09 AM #62
96RedRunner's Avatar
96RedRunner 96RedRunner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MS
Posts: 2,479
Real Name: Mark
96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all
96RedRunner 96RedRunner is offline
Senior Member
96RedRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MS
Posts: 2,479
Real Name: Mark
96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option01 View Post
I didn't have much luck google searching for small profile winches)
Mostly joking about Warn. $$$$

When I was winch searching I went to each brands site looked at the measurements.
Smittybilt XRC 9500 was the one that fit the limits of AOR bumper might be what your looking for.
Synthetic rope for weight savings.
96RedRunner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 05:57 AM #63
thezentree's Avatar
thezentree thezentree is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,164
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree is a jewel in the rough thezentree is a jewel in the rough thezentree is a jewel in the rough thezentree is a jewel in the rough
thezentree thezentree is offline
Senior Member
thezentree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 1,164
Real Name: Robert');DROP TABLE Students;
thezentree is a jewel in the rough thezentree is a jewel in the rough thezentree is a jewel in the rough thezentree is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by 96RedRunner View Post
10lbs of crap 5lb bag easy fix less crap, not cheap though.9.0Rc Winch | WARN Industries

One thing I can think of is can you drill new mounting holes for winch that moves winch closer to face of bumper.
Drilling four holes is easy whatever you gain is rearranging crap in the bag could make things easier
Can't with the CO bumper. It's so tight already that the only way the fairlead hardware will fit between the winch and the inside of the bumper is to use no washers on the inside, bolt head inside. The nut and lock washer are too tall.
__________________
2001 SR5 - Like OEM, only worse (gears, e-locker, armor)
thezentree is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 08:32 AM #64
96RedRunner's Avatar
96RedRunner 96RedRunner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MS
Posts: 2,479
Real Name: Mark
96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all
96RedRunner 96RedRunner is offline
Senior Member
96RedRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MS
Posts: 2,479
Real Name: Mark
96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by thezentree View Post
Can't with the CO bumper. It's so tight already that the only way the fairlead hardware will fit between the winch and the inside of the bumper is to use no washers on the inside, bolt head inside. The nut and lock washer are too tall.
For sure skinny lip profile things are tight winch mounted above frame rails.
And what steered me away from that profile. Winch sets between frame rails mounting foot flush with bottom of rail.
Before there were choices like now and a tight budget makes you do chit 2005.
Attached Images
Can an aftermarket bumper cause excessive transmission temps?-img_0071-jpg 

Last edited by 96RedRunner; 10-26-2023 at 08:40 AM.
96RedRunner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 01:13 PM #65
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option01 View Post
...Now I see the transmission cooler is suspended in in the engine coolant and thus, is basically liquid cooled.

That would lead me to think that since the engine coolant is staying at the proper temp, the lower bumper airflow must not affect the transmission temps very much. I'm guessing the transmission is simply producing more heat than what the stock cooler can "shed" to the engine coolant before the trans fluid returns to the transmission. It still seems weird that this whole thing cropped up after the new bumper was installed so maybe that airflow is still a factor in some other way or something else is going on...
Having thought about this a bit more, I'm wondering if airflow through the lower bumper is necessary when the thermostat has shut off the flow of engine coolant? In that scenario, the coolant flow through the lower tank would have stopped and if there is also no airflow to that area, heat from the transmission fluid could build up there reducing the effectiveness of the stock transmission cooler. That might explain why Toyota designed a good amount of airflow in the stock bumper and why I experienced higher transmission temps after the aftermarket bumper restricted that airflow.

On a related note, I also wonder if one of the reasons that turning OD off reduces transmission temps on inclined freeways is because it raises the engine speed. Higher RPMs would result in more heat generated in the engine causing the thermostat to open more. As I understand it, higher RPMs would also cause the water pump to run faster. Both factors would cause more coolant to flow over the stock transmission cooler helping its effectiveness. That's my thought anyway...
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires

Last edited by Option01; 10-26-2023 at 01:20 PM.
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 01:29 PM #66
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,335
phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute
phattyduck phattyduck is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Pasadena, CA
Posts: 5,335
phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute phattyduck has a reputation beyond repute
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option01 View Post
Having thought about this a bit more, I'm wondering if airflow through the lower bumper is necessary when the thermostat has shut off the flow of engine coolant? In that scenario, the coolant flow through the lower tank would have stopped and if there is also no airflow to that area, heat from the transmission fluid could build up there reducing the effectiveness of the stock transmission cooler. That might explain why Toyota designed a good amount of airflow in the stock bumper and why I experienced higher transmission temps after the aftermarket bumper restricted that airflow.

On a related note, I also wonder if one of the reasons that turning OD off reduces transmission temps on inclined freeways is because it raises the engine speed. Higher RPMs would result in more heat generated in the engine causing the thermostat to open more. As I understand it, higher RPMs would also cause the water pump to run faster. Both factors would cause more coolant to flow over the stock transmission cooler helping its effectiveness. That's my thought anyway...
Your thinking is generally backwards here.

More airflow blocked to the radiator = more coolant flow through the radiator to get sufficient cooling. That said, if the coolant in the bottom tank is warmer than it used to be (say, 160*F instead of 140*F that it was before the swap) then the trans cooler still has less ability to shed heat. The thermostat is also a continuous control, not some on/off switch. There is always (err, almost always - it will close on a long coast down a mountain in freezing temps) flow in the radiator once the engine is warm.

As for the OD thing changing trans temps - it is 100% due to the torque converter lock/unlock difference. Well proven in not just 4Runners. The OEM trans temp sensor is on the outlet of the transmission (before the cooler and not in the pan) and responds very quickly to different running conditions of the transmission.

-Charlie
__________________
'99 4Runner SR5 Auto - 4WD swapped
'89 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GTE 5spd
'17 Chevy Volt Premier
'16 Honda Odyssey Elite
Previous: '88 Camry Alltrac LE 3S-GE BEAMS, 90 Camry 3S-GTE, 90 Camry DX, '03 WRX wagon, '08 Outback XT
phattyduck is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-26-2023, 03:09 PM #67
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
Your thinking is generally backwards here.

More airflow blocked to the radiator = more coolant flow through the radiator to get sufficient cooling. That said, if the coolant in the bottom tank is warmer than it used to be (say, 160*F instead of 140*F that it was before the swap) then the trans cooler still has less ability to shed heat.
Ah yes, I left one thing out of my prior post. I think the CO bumper actually provides significantly more airflow to the top half of the radiator compared to stock (as long as there is no winch or aux lights installed). If that's indeed true for our 4Runners, then the extra cooling up top might somewhat balance out the reduced cooling at the bottom of the radiator making the coolant flow rate roughly unchanged (but creating a relative "cool zone" up top and "hot zone" at the bottom).

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
The thermostat is also a continuous control, not some on/off switch. There is always (err, almost always - it will close on a long coast down a mountain in freezing temps) flow in the radiator once the engine is warm.
Ah good point. Although, from what I have read about general automotive cooling systems, they are typically very oversized for most use cases leading a significantly reduced coolant flow rate much of the time. Even if the coolant flow is rarely turned off completely, wouldn't a reduced flow rate reduce the effectiveness of the liquid cooling effect on the stock transmission cooler? Especially at freeway speeds where significant ram air up top provides sufficient radiant cooling to greatly reduce flow while also producing high transmission heat output? (both of which would exacerbate the lower "hot zone")

I know this is all just theories and guesses on my end without data from real world testing but I'm still curious to hear what you think and am grateful for all the input you've already shared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattyduck View Post
As for the OD thing changing trans temps - it is 100% due to the torque converter lock/unlock difference. Well proven in not just 4Runners. The OEM trans temp sensor is on the outlet of the transmission (before the cooler and not in the pan) and responds very quickly to different running conditions of the transmission.
And that is another good point. I guess the fact that OD off still significantly reduces temps on 4Runners that have aux trans coolers supports your point as well.
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires

Last edited by Option01; 10-26-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 11:46 PM #68
Romeo1's Avatar
Romeo1 Romeo1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Idaho
Posts: 610
Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice
Romeo1 Romeo1 is offline
Member
Romeo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Idaho
Posts: 610
Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice
Can an aftermarket bumper cause excessive transmission temps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option01 View Post
Ah yes, I left one thing out of my prior post. I think the CO bumper actually provides significantly more airflow to the top half of the radiator compared to stock (as long as there is no winch or aux lights installed). If that's indeed true for our 4Runners, then the extra cooling up top might somewhat balance out the reduced cooling at the bottom of the radiator making the coolant flow rate roughly unchanged (but creating a relative "cool zone" up top and "hot zone" at the bottom).



Ah good point. Although, from what I have read about general automotive cooling systems, they are typically very oversized for most use cases leading a significantly reduced coolant flow rate much of the time. Even if the coolant flow is rarely turned off completely, wouldn't a reduced flow rate reduce the effectiveness of the liquid cooling effect on the stock transmission cooler? Especially at freeway speeds where significant ram air up top provides sufficient radiant cooling to greatly reduce flow while also producing high transmission heat output? (both of which would exacerbate the lower "hot zone")

I know this is all just theories and guesses on my end without data from real world testing but I'm still curious to hear what you think and am grateful for all the input you've already shared.



And that is another good point. I guess the fact that OD off still significantly reduces temps on 4Runners that have aux trans coolers supports your point as well.

Heat rejection is heat rejection. The BTUs have to go somewhere. There is excess capacity for rejection in the system, but why would you want to reduce it?

Look at any halfway modern OME grill or bumper. They almost are never just "holes". They almost always have a venturi element in the design. That changes the velocity of the airflow in the radiator path.

The comment about less coolant flow through the thermostat vs cfm in the stack isn't a thing either. Unless your in a very cold ambient temperature situation, thermostats are almost always open going at varying degree of "open"
@Option01 , What have you been reading to make you think otherwise?
__________________
99’ Black “Highlander” sport, oak, 5VZ auto, 4.30 axle, e-lock, 265/75 Grabber X3,, Bilstein 6112 (2”) front 5160 rear shocks, OME 2906 springs, Durobumps, 4x Inovations front middle rear skid plates, 4XI square TRD tube sliders, lil skips tank skid, lotus dev RCA skids, overland custom sway bar links, Amp’d hidden winch, warn Vr Evo 10s

Last edited by Romeo1; 10-29-2023 at 11:48 PM.
Romeo1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 03:48 PM #69
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo1 View Post
Heat rejection is heat rejection. The BTUs have to go somewhere. There is excess capacity for rejection in the system, but why would you want to reduce it?
Thanks for the reply! My understanding was that the thermostat tries to keep the coolant at a certain temperature. The coolant going above that temp can obviously be problematic but keeping the coolant too cool is also not ideal. If your cooling system is not allowing your engine to reach or maintain the normal operating temperature then that is when "you would want to reduce it." At least that is what I've concluded. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo1 View Post
The comment about less coolant flow through the thermostat vs cfm in the stack isn't a thing either.
Really? I admit I'm no expert on this stuff but it seems kind of intuitive that a high CFM would meaningfully increase the system's ability to cool compared to little or no airflow. My thinking is that if a high rate of airflow through the radiator makes it cool the fluid significantly more, then wouldn't that result in the thermostat reducing the flow of coolant compared to the same scenario with low airflow? Or does rate or airflow simply not have much affect the radiator's ability to cool the fluid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romeo1 View Post
Unless your in a very cold ambient temperature situation, thermostats are almost always open going at varying degree of "open" @Option01 , What have you been reading to make you think otherwise?
My apologies if I'm misunderstanding but it sounds like maybe we're saying the same thing in two different ways?

I was talking about the thermostat reducing coolant flow when the full cooling capacity of the system isn't needed. Isn't that the same as your point about thermostats having "varying degrees of open"? Like "more open = more flow" and "less open = reduced flow"?
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires

Last edited by Option01; 10-30-2023 at 03:50 PM.
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-30-2023, 05:26 PM #70
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
So some off-brand versions of the LPD49211 transmission cooler have showed up on Amazon. I'm guessing these are leftover inventory from the same Chinese factory that makes them for Tru-cool. There's no warranty but I'm thinking this kind of part isn't one that's likely to fail and this listing has free returns so I'm thinking of ordering it:

Off brand LPD43211 on Amazon
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 06:05 AM #71
19963.4lsr5 19963.4lsr5 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stouchsburg PA
Posts: 5,285
19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold
19963.4lsr5 19963.4lsr5 is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stouchsburg PA
Posts: 5,285
19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold 19963.4lsr5 is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option01 View Post
So some off-brand versions of the LPD49211 transmission cooler have showed up on Amazon. I'm guessing these are leftover inventory from the same Chinese factory that makes them for Tru-cool. There's no warranty but I'm thinking this kind of part isn't one that's likely to fail and this listing has free returns so I'm thinking of ordering it:

Off brand LPD43211 on Amazon

TrueCool was not made in China last I looked. TrueCool before being bought by Dana Corp was a private company that made the coolers for a lot of other brands…..including B&M. One of the reasons I prefer TrueCool over B&M.

I’m guessing the patent is expired so is free game for anyone to make.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
19963.4lsr5 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 09:47 AM #72
96RedRunner's Avatar
96RedRunner 96RedRunner is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MS
Posts: 2,479
Real Name: Mark
96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all
96RedRunner 96RedRunner is offline
Senior Member
96RedRunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: MS
Posts: 2,479
Real Name: Mark
96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all 96RedRunner is a name known to all
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option01 View Post
There's no warranty but I'm thinking this kind of part isn't one that's likely to fail and this listing has free returns so I'm thinking of ordering it:
The manufacturing of is likely why it would fail. Having free return, before installation I'd pressure
test it with compressed air.
96RedRunner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-31-2023, 05:59 PM #73
Romeo1's Avatar
Romeo1 Romeo1 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Idaho
Posts: 610
Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice
Romeo1 Romeo1 is offline
Member
Romeo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2021
Location: Idaho
Posts: 610
Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice Romeo1 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Option01 View Post
Thanks for the reply! My understanding was that the thermostat tries to keep the coolant at a certain temperature. The coolant going above that temp can obviously be problematic but keeping the coolant too cool is also not ideal. If your cooling system is not allowing your engine to reach or maintain the normal operating temperature then that is when "you would want to reduce it." At least that is what I've concluded. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding something.



Really? I admit I'm no expert on this stuff but it seems kind of intuitive that a high CFM would meaningfully increase the system's ability to cool compared to little or no airflow. My thinking is that if a high rate of airflow through the radiator makes it cool the fluid significantly more, then wouldn't that result in the thermostat reducing the flow of coolant compared to the same scenario with low airflow? Or does rate or airflow simply not have much affect the radiator's ability to cool the fluid?



My apologies if I'm misunderstanding but it sounds like maybe we're saying the same thing in two different ways?

I was talking about the thermostat reducing coolant flow when the full cooling capacity of the system isn't needed. Isn't that the same as your point about thermostats having "varying degrees of open"? Like "more open = more flow" and "less open = reduced flow"?

Thermostats only know temperature. Nothing else. In a gas engine unless you've done some major setup changes or are in very very cold weather, it's going to open and it's going to flow. Even in up to -20 F I've yet to see a car not open the thermostat while running. Toyotas and Subarus come to temp rather quick.

Diesel engine is a little different story. Except the new ones. They seem to run nuclear hot.....lol.

You want CFM. You want pressure. You want corrosion protection. Blocking diesel radiators air flow in winter assuming your not towing is a thing. Not so much in gas applications.
__________________
99’ Black “Highlander” sport, oak, 5VZ auto, 4.30 axle, e-lock, 265/75 Grabber X3,, Bilstein 6112 (2”) front 5160 rear shocks, OME 2906 springs, Durobumps, 4x Inovations front middle rear skid plates, 4XI square TRD tube sliders, lil skips tank skid, lotus dev RCA skids, overland custom sway bar links, Amp’d hidden winch, warn Vr Evo 10s
Romeo1 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-14-2023, 08:36 PM #74
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
I got a little sidetracked so I haven't posted here in bit but I wanted to share a small update:

I had the bumper modified to add more airflow to the lower portions of the radiator and I've since been able to take it on one trip to the mountains. This trip was not as long nor as inclined as my last tests but I could still tell that there was definitely an improvement. The transmission temps still got high at times but not nearly as high as before and they always dropped back down pretty quickly. On my previous two trips (since I got the OBDII sensor), the transmission temps would rise too high and then at best, fluctuate around that 210-220 range and at worse, spike to 230+.

My next step will be to install a aux transmission cooler and I should be good to go. For anyone who may be interested, here are a couple pics showing the new vents in the lower portion of the bumper:
Attached Images
Can an aftermarket bumper cause excessive transmission temps?-img_3990-jpg  Can an aftermarket bumper cause excessive transmission temps?-img_3991-jpg 
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 11-21-2023, 01:16 PM #75
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Option01 Option01 is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Northern California
Posts: 95
Option01 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by IconicFJ_ View Post
I sell the 4runner transmission cooler kits. I hear from my customers they can reduce the temps by 30 degrees F or more.

1996-2002 4runner Transmission Cooler Bracket Kit
– Iconic Fabrication
Out of curiosity, why did you size your bracket to fit the 698 cooler rather than the larger 699 model? It looks like both would fit and as long as it was one of the thermal bypass models, wouldn't bigger=better?
__________________
1999 SR5 V6/Auto 4WD
4.88 Gears, Front/Rear E-Lockers
1" Body Lift, 2" Suspension Lift, 285/75 R16 Tires
Option01 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
airflow , bumper , radiator , temps , transmission

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ultragauge and Transmission Temps Kwikvette 3rd gen T4Rs 20 03-22-2022 10:38 AM
Aftermarket bumpers and Engine/Transmission Temps thezentree 3rd gen T4Rs 13 06-18-2019 01:11 AM
High Transmission Temps? johndavidwright 3rd gen T4Rs 4 04-21-2014 07:42 AM
Transmission and Coolant Temps both rising... THatfield 3rd gen T4Rs 0 02-18-2014 05:13 PM
normal transmission temps? vthokie 3rd gen T4Rs 4 05-09-2011 12:12 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020