User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-14-2023, 10:10 AM #1
DWilliam DWilliam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Florida
Posts: 178
DWilliam is on a distinguished road
DWilliam DWilliam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Florida
Posts: 178
DWilliam is on a distinguished road
Dropping tank, easy to replace fuel pump?

Replacing the overfill check valve on my 2002. Should I order a new fuel pump and strainer while Iím at it? Is the fuel pump an easy replacement?
DWilliam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 11:10 AM #2
mtbtim's Avatar
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Elite Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 58
Posts: 5,277
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
mtbtim mtbtim is offline
Elite Member
mtbtim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: San Jose, California
Age: 58
Posts: 5,277
Real Name: Tim
mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute mtbtim has a reputation beyond repute
It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the fuel pump and filter inside the tank. They have been known to fail which can leave you stranded. The hardest part is making all the disconnects to drop the tank. Once the tank is out, removing the fuel sending unit assembly is easy. Replacing the fuel pump and filter on the fuel sending unit assembly is also easy and straightforward.

You can use my video to learn how to do most of it. We don't show replacing the fuel pump, but it is very easy once you have the sending unit in your hands.

You should definitely replace the rubber gasket that seals the sending unit to the top of the tank. We have it linked in the video description.

__________________
"My old man is a television repairman, he's got this ultimate set of tools. I can fix it!"
mtbtim is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-14-2023, 11:21 AM #3
DWilliam DWilliam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Florida
Posts: 178
DWilliam is on a distinguished road
DWilliam DWilliam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Florida
Posts: 178
DWilliam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbtim View Post
It wouldn't be a bad idea to replace the fuel pump and filter inside the tank. They have been known to fail which can leave you stranded. The hardest part is making all the disconnects to drop the tank. Once the tank is out, removing the fuel sending unit assembly is easy. Replacing the fuel pump and filter on the fuel sending unit assembly is also easy and straightforward.

You can use my video to learn how to do most of it. We don't show replacing the fuel pump, but it is very easy once you have the sending unit in your hands.

You should definitely replace the rubber gasket that seals the sending unit to the top of the tank. We have it linked in the video description.

Your video is literally bookmarked on my iPad for when I start the repair lol. Thanks for your channel and advice!
DWilliam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-15-2023, 07:25 PM #4
MaineRunna's Avatar
MaineRunna MaineRunna is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Berwick, Maine USA
Posts: 374
Real Name: Mike
MaineRunna will become famous soon enough MaineRunna will become famous soon enough
MaineRunna MaineRunna is offline
Member
MaineRunna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Berwick, Maine USA
Posts: 374
Real Name: Mike
MaineRunna will become famous soon enough MaineRunna will become famous soon enough
The fuel pump is very easy to replace once the tank is out. Japanese fuel pumps in general and Toyotas in particular don't fail very often. (probably have replaced under 5 Toyota fuel pumps in 39 years) Good idea to replace the rubber gasket and the strainer. Are you changing the check valve due to the vehicle being difficult to fill with gas? If so you probably need a new EVAP canister instead.
__________________

98 SR5 4X4 5spd, desert dune metallic, Toytech Eibach 3" lift, 1" body lift, RAD Rubber Designs splash guards, 4XInnovations bumpers, Doug Thorely Headers, Magna-flow converter, JBA muffler & tail pipe, RCI skid plate, SPC UCA's & rear LCA's, front sway bar links on rear, gen II rear links on front, Tundra brakes, '02 headlights, tail lights & sidemarkers, BFG 255/85R16 Mud Terrain T/A's 241,000 miles.
MaineRunna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 03:38 AM #5
4RunnerNoobinNC 4RunnerNoobinNC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Ayden, NC
Age: 42
Posts: 19
4RunnerNoobinNC is on a distinguished road
4RunnerNoobinNC 4RunnerNoobinNC is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2022
Location: Ayden, NC
Age: 42
Posts: 19
4RunnerNoobinNC is on a distinguished road
I have a 2001 2wd Auto SR5…

Make sure you have 2 pry bars handy when you remove the check valve. I wasted so much time tonight trying to find a “tool” for the job, before finally making a 10:30pm Walmart run to buy 2 24” pry bars. Also, the larger hose that runs from the check valve to the EVAP canister is a pain to get off without breaking…for me, anyway. Luckily, I had purchased a new one…so I was able to break the old connectors off and install a new hose. I also had to eventually drag my gf out to give me a hand, and extra set of hands goes a long way.

P# for the hose is…77404-35010
4RunnerNoobinNC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 10-16-2023, 06:28 AM #6
DWilliam DWilliam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Florida
Posts: 178
DWilliam is on a distinguished road
DWilliam DWilliam is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: Florida
Posts: 178
DWilliam is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaineRunna View Post
The fuel pump is very easy to replace once the tank is out. Japanese fuel pumps in general and Toyotas in particular don't fail very often. (probably have replaced under 5 Toyota fuel pumps in 39 years) Good idea to replace the rubber gasket and the strainer. Are you changing the check valve due to the vehicle being difficult to fill with gas? If so you probably need a new EVAP canister instead.
That’s exactly why I’m replacing the check valve. Also codes p0440, 0441, 0446. I didn’t know if it was the check valve or the canister so I chose the cheaper (higher labor) part. In addition, I unplugged the 1” plastic hose that runs from the valve to the canister and I still had the issue. My assumption was that is the sole hose responsible for venting and separating it from the canister would rule it out. Am I wrong? There’s also a small hose in the overfill check valve though that I didn’t disconnect, I’m not sure what it does.

Last edited by DWilliam; 10-16-2023 at 07:06 AM.
DWilliam is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:42 PM #7
WeAreSLO WeAreSLO is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Coast CA
Posts: 61
WeAreSLO is on a distinguished road
WeAreSLO WeAreSLO is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Central Coast CA
Posts: 61
WeAreSLO is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWilliam View Post
That’s exactly why I’m replacing the check valve. Also codes p0440, 0441, 0446. I didn’t know if it was the check valve or the canister so I chose the cheaper (higher labor) part. In addition, I unplugged the 1” plastic hose that runs from the valve to the canister and I still had the issue. My assumption was that is the sole hose responsible for venting and separating it from the canister would rule it out. Am I wrong? There’s also a small hose in the overfill check valve though that I didn’t disconnect, I’m not sure what it does.
Did you end up having to replace the canister? I just dropped my tank yesterday to replace the valve for the same codes and I can't see anything wrong with it. Afraid I may have to get a charcoal can next. Waiting for a new vent hose to show up. Also ordered a new fuel pump before I put everything back together, figure might as well while it's out.
WeAreSLO is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dropping , easy , fuel , order , pump

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replace Fuel Pump - Drop Fuel Tank? Rock_Rat 3rd gen T4Rs 11 12-17-2023 05:33 PM
Fuel pump- cant fill gas tank Rayh78 4th Gen T4Rs 9 03-05-2022 12:22 PM
Dropping fuel tank, don't recognize this connector xavier847 4th Gen T4Rs 3 09-24-2020 05:36 PM
Fuel tank or Fuel pump problem? TwoToneT4R 3rd gen T4Rs 6 11-30-2017 04:18 PM
Gas leak around fuel pump on top of gas tank TeamUSA 3rd gen T4Rs 5 07-09-2015 08:51 AM

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Feedback Buttons provided by Advanced Post Thanks / Like (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2024 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
***This site is an unofficial Toyota site, and is not officially endorsed, supported, authorized by or affiliated with Toyota. All company, product, or service names references in this web site are used for identification purposes only and may be trademarks of their respective owners. The Toyota name, marks, designs and logos, as well as Toyota model names, are registered trademarks of Toyota Motor Corporation***Ad Management plugin by RedTyger
 
Copyright © 2020